Placed Camp Questionnaire - New Launch Date March 4th

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Placed Camp Questionnaire - New Launch Date March 4th

Post by trilobyte » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Please note the new launch date for BRC Participation Forms (including the Placed Camp Questionnaire) is March 4 (formerly February 19). On March 4 you'll be able to access the appropriate forms (through your Burner Profile) to apply for or register your art installation, mutant vehicle, theme camp or media project. If you don't have a Burner Profile you'll want to create one now.

We've made this change to ensure ticketing registration and sales have the tech support they need in February. We're also using the time to streamline the participation forms.

If you don't have a Burner Profile you'll want to create one now.

For the eager among you, this gives you two extra weeks to prepare! We look forward to reading your applications and learning about all of the greatness you’re sure to bring to BRC this year.

2014 BRC Participation Forms
  • Camp Placement Questionnaire: March 4, 2014 – April 30, 2014 at noon Pacific Time
  • Mutant Vehicle Application: March 4, 2014 – May 15, 2014 at noon Pacific Time
  • Disabled Persons Vehicle Application: March 4, 2014 – July 31, 2014 at noon Pacific Time
  • Art Installation Questionnaire: March 4, 2014 – June 11, 2014 at noon Pacific Time
  • Media Application: Open on March 4, 2014. Deadline for video/film and all other press is July 10, 2014 at noon Pacific Time.
For more detailed information please see our BRC Participation Forms FAQ.

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Re: Placed Camp Questionnaire - New Launch Date March 4th

Post by FossaFerox » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:19 am

For those of us registering as a theme camp for the first time I've found the overview they posted today useful, but the actual questionnaire will have a lot more detail, right? Are there generic samples we can look at to see what kinds of information the placement people are looking for? I've been tasked with handling the bulk of the paperwork for my camp and I'm starting to write drafts for each section for the other senior camp members to look over, but I'm not sure what to even begin for the "acculturation" section, for example...
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:50 am

(PM'd you FF.)

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Relax - when the forms open up, you'll have nearly two months to peruse them before the deadline. While early submissions do help the placement team organize things, it's not a first-come/first-serve situation. You'll have plenty of time.

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:38 am

So I know that camp placement info normally goes out in early July, but do you hear anything before then about whether or not your camp has been accepted and will be placed? I'm particularly concerned about when we'll find out what our early access pass situation might be as it will change our hotel reservations in Reno accordingly. I'd rather not wait until July to book them. Thanks for any insight, I tried searching around but this was a tricky detail to find information on.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:18 pm

Nope, you've got to wait until early July.

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:48 pm

Alright, time to check the hotel's change/cancelation policy then. Thanks for the quick response Trilo. :)

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:25 pm

This issue comes up every year, both with first-time registered camps as well as returning camps who may have had organizational changes. It's a good question, so I'm happy to weigh in with my advice again.

In booking your reservations (for hotels, trucks, flights, etc), you're betting on yourselves. At the very, very worst, you end up with a couple extra days to kill in Reno. That's disappointing, but not a showstopper (room rates are pretty cheap, plenty of buffets, etc). If you've got a solid plan (and LNT plan) and you've put some effort into filling out the questionnaire and communicating your awesome ideas, chances are good that you'll be successful.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:48 am

It appears that they've opened the questionnaire up early - check it out!

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:28 am

@ FF book your reservations; think positive. Also if you have to change or cancel; tell them you are rescheduling! Do this far enough out that you are past a pricey 'cancellation' fee
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

ZaphodBurner
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:02 pm

As a non-BMORG type I can tell the first-timers who are worried about the process not to worry. Have fun with it, and don't make promises you can't fulfill. It's completely worth it and there are plenty of people here who will be happy to help you make it awesome.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:34 pm

I don't know if anyone else had this problem but the application timed out right in the middle of our efforts to fill it out and everything was lost. It was damn irritating to have to start all over again. It would also be nice if there was a way to copy the thing so that we can remember what we put down for each question in case things change...and for future years.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:52 pm

Can you print the questions, then write the answers in peace and quiet in a word processing program, then cut and paste the answers into the live form? Being a slow typist, that system works for me with various things.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Warning!! Really dumb question follows.

We have a theme camp. (The 2 of us). I anticipate 2 or 4 more members joining the project. We don't need placing. In fact we're afraid of placing. We need to be near kidcamp so they can help us with painting. They can do the decorations on the replacement street signs. We both come in early because of other volunteer commitments. Last year they wouldn't let early entry people camp next to kid camp. We were one street away on G. If we apply for placement, we could end up farther away or they could put us on D street on the inner circle side that plays hell with our shade and wind deflection. Should we just forget it and camp wherever. Or apply for placement and explain that the only reason we want it is to be near the kids. In the past we have camped next to the aclu on 'f'.

Undecided, Ratty
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:30 pm

Ratty, the reason they no longer allow Early Arrival Volunteers to grab land inside G is to prevent unfair land-grabs in "good locations", just on the strength of "I was there first". That's not what our EA is for. This rule applies to all of us who are EA Volunteers and not Placed. And I feel it is fair.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

CaffeineGirl
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Post by CaffeineGirl » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:06 pm

The only options I can think of to guarantee you will be next to kid camp would be to 1) remain a separate theme camp, but do a village application including both (or maybe other) affiliated camps. Or even easier since your group is so small, just have kid camp carve out a spot for you.

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:08 pm

CaffeineGirl wrote:The only options I can think of to guarantee you will be next to kid camp would be to 1) remain a separate theme camp, but do a village application including both (or maybe other) affiliated camps. Or even easier since your group is so small, just have kid camp carve out a spot for you.
Don't forget Hushville... Right next door.

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:58 am

Thanks Elliott. I know why and I'm totally on board with their reasoning. It's nice when they are just across the street. (Not so nice when they are in my tent, car, ice chest.) We'll just camp on whatever. We don't care. Now I'm thinking a street away is even better because they aren't allowed to leave the compound on their own and the little renegades duck under the string of banners and come to hear music or mooch food. Can't wait...
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:23 am

Why not do a minimal camp in our area till opening, then move closer to kidsville after gates open?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

CaffeineGirl

Post by CaffeineGirl » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:17 am

Ratty wrote:Thanks Elliott. I know why and I'm totally on board with their reasoning. It's nice when they are just across the street. (Not so nice when they are in my tent, car, ice chest.) We'll just camp on whatever. We don't care. Now I'm thinking a street away is even better because they aren't allowed to leave the compound on their own and the little renegades duck under the string of banners and come to hear music or mooch food. Can't wait...
Uh, the big children do that too....

Peritwinkle
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A - Peritwinkle's venue

Post by Peritwinkle » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:26 pm

How do we know if our questionnaire has been received? Hosting a decadent bar means that we have to select "adult activities" which takes you to options that do not apply. And then "next". Poof!

It seems that our questionnaire vaporizes.... I asked to receive placement emails and still do not receive any, so does that mean the questionnaire did not get received?

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Peritwinkle wrote:How do we know if our questionnaire has been received? Hosting a decadent bar means that we have to select "adult activities" which takes you to options that do not apply. And then "next". Poof!

It seems that our questionnaire vaporizes.... I asked to receive placement emails and still do not receive any, so does that mean the questionnaire did not get received?
One thought.... Are you sure you belong in "Adult"? I don't know this, but I have a vague hunch that "adult" means sexual rather than beverages. Of course, I don't know your definition of "decadent". You might want to look into this.

Peritwinkle

Post by Peritwinkle » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:03 pm

Elliot wrote:One thought.... Are you sure you belong in "Adult"? I don't know this, but I have a vague hunch that "adult" means sexual rather than beverages. Of course, I don't know your definition of "decadent". You might want to look into this.
Thanks Elliot. Our decadence is champagne and non-cheap wine. I guess since alcoholic beverages was not on the list of "adult" activities I should just resend the questionnaire as non-adult. Pretty vague.

Provided I get this filled out correctly and get placed as usual on 3, come on by! :D

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:55 pm

@EmilyD - yep, timeouts do happen (for what it's worth, I think they were a much bigger problem in years past). If I remember correctly a copy of the completed form is emailed to the address you listed for the primary contact for the camp. Though I would caution against doing the boilerplate thing for future years - because every year camps do up their game, what worked in one year doesn't necessarily guarantee it'll work in subsequent years. Definitely hang on to the registration info for reference, but avoid the temptation to copy/paste.

@Elliot - prior to the forms opening up a sample questionnaire was posted, but once the forms go live you can just copy and paste into your word processor of choice if you care to spend more time crafting your answers.

@Ratty - you can't register a placed camp of just two people (I think that's covered in the posted resource guide info). You also may not grab land anywhere between Esplanade and G prior to the gates opening, unless you are a registerd/placed camp. The reason is to specifically prevent people from playing the land-grabbing games (slide in on early arrival through some other project, then stake a claim before the gates open). It may sound like a tiny thing, but several hundred people doing it translated into vast chunks of what was supposed to be prime unreserved land... all gobbled up before the gates opened up. If G is acceptable for you guys, I'd say go ahead and don't worry about registering. Remember that even if you do register, placement can not guarantee that you'll get a specific location (at best, it's within a block or two of where you'd like to go). They do their best to accommodate peoples' requests, but that's just not always possible.

@Peritwinkle - if you complete the form and get to the questionnaire completed page, that'd be a strong sign. So would the follow-up automated email that usually follows, sending you an acknowledgement of the form submission and a copy of the questionnaire. If you're unable to get to that stage, send an email to placement@burningman.com for assistance and wait patiently for a response. When emailing the placement team, I always include the camp name in the subject line. As for options that do not apply, I'd recommend putting N/A in the text fields, don't just leave the fields blank. As for vague, so is what you described in your first post. "Pretty decadent bar" conjures up images of adult/naked/sexytime games, and not... a bar serving wine and champagne. It is a given that all bars are adhering to Nevada state law and only serving alcohol to adults and carding people and whatnot. If there's no sauciness, you can do the form without checking that box.

Hope that helps!

Peritwinkle

Post by Peritwinkle » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:38 am

Thanks Trilobyte! That does help. I guess our camp is totally tame compared to many others. :wink:

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:33 pm

How much "Frontage" is reasonable to request?

The application lets you pick Frontage in 50-foot intervals (for placement on streets). I don't want to be greedy, but I want to accommodate our layout and make it smooth for the reviewers.

What would be typical for a camp of 21-30? Trying to decide between 100 and 150.

Thanks all.

CaffeineGirl

Post by CaffeineGirl » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:53 pm

I don't think there is a "typical" X square feet for X people. Giant shade structure? Kitchen? Public bar? Art project in camp? RVs? Tents?
Parking for cars, trailers, box trucks, mutant vehicles? The request should match what you need to make your camp work. Draw up a camp layout and it will all become clear. And the camp depths are usually in 50' increments as well, as I recall the block depths have been 200' for the last few years.

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:54 pm

Elsewhere on the questionnaire they give you a square footage guideline based on the expected number of people in your camp. You can use that to figure out the corresponding depth for a given frontage. It's important to note that on streets the depth is also in 50' intervals. With that you can then figure out what makes sense for your camp, long and shallow or narrow and deep. Example:

My camp is 11-16 people so we can expect "Up to 6,000 SF" which, with 50x50 blocks (since we also want to be on a street), gives us two blocks for 5,000 SF total. We have a lot of stuff going on we don't want exposed to the streets (vehicles, tents, kitchen, etc) so we're opting for the 50' side to be our street frontage on a 100' deep lot. Make sense?

Look at the moop map from last year to see how they placed camps if not, that should make it nice and clear.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Think of it as a radical self-reliance quiz... unless your camp has a significant art installation or public space/operation (bar, etc) that you're able to clearly communicate in your layout and with your words, you should pretty much stick to the space usage guidelines that are mentioned in the questionnaire.

Speaking personally, my belief is that frontage is more highly coveted - people tend to want great big wide but not too deep. I couldn't really say whether that's because they want a bigger chunk of the street (so they're easier to find), or if it's because they don't want to have to do the vehicle parking rubik's cube thing. Figure that outside of Esplanade, most city streets are 200' deep (that is, the space between C and D, etc). So that would put an average (and easiest to place) camp depth at 100 feet. Less or more is possible, but harder to place. It's probably harder still to get placement on a shallower camp that's requesting a ton of frontage.

If you haven't read it, check this post out. You should also try and make plans to attend (either in-person or via internet) Saturday's theme camp forum - I've been a couple times in the past, they're always loaded with good info.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:41 pm

Great tips guys, thanks for the suggestions on camp geometry and checking the old Moop maps, that was really smart and cool to see how the sites were laid out. We are 99% done with our app! Going to watch the webinar this weekend for any final changes and then submit.

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”