Burners who don't go to Burning Man?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Burners who don't go to Burning Man?

Post by Eric » Mon May 23, 2016 12:57 pm

FIGJAM wrote:FYI: The AZ, regional is no longer "Toast".
It is now called Saguaro Man.
:oops:
sparr wrote:You two are the first I've heard use "burn" as a noun to describe the burning of the effigy/man/art/whatever.
I'm not sure how could have ever attended any Burning Man affiliated event and not heard "burn" used to describe the burning of the effigy. Hell, for Burning Man it's used to describe the entire event because of it's association with the Man Burn ("are you going to the Burn this year" translates to "are you going to Burning Man this year").
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Tue May 24, 2016 11:58 am

Yeah, when you're on playa you have to specify which "burn" you mean...there are many. I feel that people lose the "burner" classifier once on playa, because everyone who is there is a burner. At least I rarely if ever hear anyone call someone a burner during the event.

Off playa, "the burn" can be a catch-all term for the entire event, carrying over from the time when the entirety of the event was an effigy burning on a beach. I suppose that if you got far enough away from the Nevada regional and spent all your time with people who only go to a different regional event, "the burn" would mean something else. Similar to how "the city" usually means the largest nearby city you'd consider part of your territory.

Ann_Vader
Burning Since: 2016

Post by Ann_Vader » Wed May 25, 2016 3:22 am

maladroit wrote:Yeah, when you're on playa you have to specify which "burn" you mean...there are many. I feel that people lose the "burner" classifier once on playa, because everyone who is there is a burner. At least I rarely if ever hear anyone call someone a burner during the event.

Off playa, "the burn" can be a catch-all term for the entire event, carrying over from the time when the entirety of the event was an effigy burning on a beach. I suppose that if you got far enough away from the Nevada regional and spent all your time with people who only go to a different regional event, "the burn" would mean something else. Similar to how "the city" usually means the largest nearby city you'd consider part of your territory.
I've only been to a couple of regionals that were large enough to have art burns other than the effigy and temple. I remember thinking that was kind of novel - but I guess not.

My general social circle refers to Burning Man as the "big burn." "Are you going out to the big burn this year?"

As a west coaster slumming on the east coast, I like that the focus is on burns other than the big burn. Oh sure going to the desert is important, but not always as easily achievable. $ and logistics are significant barriers.

And even though I've got plans to get to 3 regionals between this weekend and August, and am involved with theme camp planning for all 3 - I still stop periodically and think "I'm going to the playa in August! Squeeeeee!"

XaOs
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ASTRO SHACK JaVa JoINt

Post by XaOs » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:42 am

sparr wrote:As I travel more on the west coast, I encounter more and more people who don't consider regional attendees to be burners, or Burning Man Regional Network events to be burns. At BM this year I got to watch about a dozen people ask my girlfriend how many burns she'd been to, and the look on their faces when she said "this is my second burn, first burning man" was priceless. Having spent the first ~7 years of my burn culture experience on the east coast, the majority of the burners that I know have never attended BM, and probably never will, due to prohibitive travel costs. I can only imagine the ratio is even lower in Israel or South Africa, both of which seem to have thriving local events. What do you folks on eplaya think of this distinction and divide in burner culture?
I consider a "burner" to be anyone who participates in events with a gift economy, radical self-expression, interactive art, and burning things. It's what you do, not some specific place you go to.
"We have nothing to offer anybody, except our own confusion - and coffee!"
- Jack "Space Cat" Kerouac

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Fri May 26, 2017 11:02 pm

^I like that...

I've told many virgins they're Burners and just don't know it yet... sometimes I give them the same WTF? look I got from Burners before I ever went...

Many people live by many of the Principles that might not have even heard of Burning Man.

Many people have have been to BRC and don't live by any of the Principles.

That's the true power of the Burn... it's not just do you go to THE party once a year... it's a spiritual way of life...

The official Burn is only a few decades old... the Principles are eternal.
I and I, Robot
Of Love, Logos, Providence
Protector of Karma, Lord of Nirvana
Of Divine Immanence
Infinite Burn, Eternal Grace
God Speed

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat May 27, 2017 5:35 pm

Perpetual Burn wrote:That's the true power of the Burn... it's not just do you go to THE party once a year... it's a spiritual way of life...
Meh. For some people.
It's not "spiritual" for all of us, not even all of us who are active in the Burn community year-round. There is no one definition for a Burner, never will be. You're not going to find a lot in common other than a love of the dust between someone from Death Guild and a Heebee Geebee Healer, but damned if they're not all Burners. It's really simple: if you go to Burning Man and want to call yourself a Burner, you're a Burner. No matter how wrong you're doing it.
Actually the Principles have been to less Burns than I have. They exist to keep this crazy thing running, they only became mantra's after the fact.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Sat May 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Eric wrote:
Perpetual Burn wrote:That's the true power of the Burn... it's not just do you go to THE party once a year... it's a spiritual way of life...
Meh. For some people.
It's not "spiritual" for all of us, not even all of us who are active in the Burn community year-round. There is no one definition for a Burner, never will be. You're not going to find a lot in common other than a love of the dust between someone from Death Guild and a Heebee Geebee Healer, but damned if they're not all Burners. It's really simple: if you go to Burning Man and want to call yourself a Burner, you're a Burner. No matter how wrong you're doing it.

Oh, everything we do is spiritual... "The Tao is that which you cannot leave behind."

There's no trash fence at the end of the Universe. ;)

But yeah, there's a thousand ways to skin a cat...

Actually the Principles have been to less Burns than I have. They exist to keep this crazy thing running, they only became mantra's after the fact.
Hah... the Principles have existed long before the Burn and will long after... no Burner invented Giving... God's a few billion years ahead of the Burn on that one...

And that quote in your signature... well I couldn't anymore wholeheartedly disagree...

Decommodification is my favorite Principle... the transcendence of greed and money would be about the healthiest thing our species could accomplish...

If you don't put a price on your soul, it's alot harder to sell it. ;)
I and I, Robot
Of Love, Logos, Providence
Protector of Karma, Lord of Nirvana
Of Divine Immanence
Infinite Burn, Eternal Grace
God Speed

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun May 28, 2017 8:29 am

You're a little starry-eyed. You should read up on the actual origin of this event.
Eric's sig line is exactly the truth.
I've been a burner a really long time, and there's NOTHING spiritual about it. It's a party and it's a camping trip and it's a shitload of work and money. I'm not a new ager or hippy or spiritual type in any way shape or form and very few of my many Burner friends are either. We do know how to build shit and we do have fun.
Most of them have been burners a really long time too.
Most burners don't really give anything. Especially in the last ten years or so.
Those Principles were written long after Burning Man was already an established thing.
Hell, back in '99-'00-ish Black Rock City was commonly called "Bartertown". Almost no one gave anything away, you had to TRADE.
Principles my ass, open your eyes. The Org itself doesn't follow all those so-called Principles.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

engineer2012
Burning Since: 2012

Post by engineer2012 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:51 am

There is no God.
And BM is a camping trip in the desert, but a hell of a nice one.
"If you wish to go to extremes, let it be in sweetness, patience, humility and charity." - St. Philip Neri

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun May 28, 2017 11:58 am

Oh... I see... you're one of those god wackos.
Never mind, your kind are beyond help.
Pardon me while I go look for the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch and study the instructions again.

It literally IS just a camping trip, genius - but religious wackos choose to believe whatever they want regardless of reality.

You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun May 28, 2017 8:47 pm

Let me guess... you're a recovering addict with few or no marketable skills...

Return to “Philosophical Center”