Where to buy rebar?

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.
MrsB
Burning Since: 2017

Where to buy rebar?

Postby MrsB » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:46 am

Hi everyone, I coming over from Australia and will have 3 nights in vegas before driving up to black rock city.
Can anyone tell me where I will be able to buy rebar from as from reading all the other posts I believe that's the best thing for anchoring our shade that we will have outside. Is there anything else that's suitable to stop things from blowing away?

Thanks in advance!
Nikki

FlyingMonkey

Re: Where to buy rebar?

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:38 am

MrsB wrote:Hi everyone, I coming over from Australia and will have 3 nights in vegas before driving up to black rock city.
Can anyone tell me where I will be able to buy rebar from as from reading all the other posts I believe that's the best thing for anchoring our shade that we will have outside. Is there anything else that's suitable to stop things from blowing away?

Thanks in advance!
Nikki

Ga-day Nikki,

There's several hardware stores in the area. But be careful, there's a zealous cult of lag screw worshipers that may be holding a rebar counter protest. While I disagree with their methods & beliefs I accept them for who they are and think we can still coexist separately on the Playa. Maybe someday we will find middle ground and replace hatred with acceptance & agree to disagree. My hate will never change them or who they are.

Wow. Second post thread drift to the extreme. Sorry, kind of an American thing recently. No worries.

Anyway, yeah there's several major hardware stores in or near Fernley NV that have rebar. It would be a good idea to either call ahead or maybe order it online for pick-up at the store.

Just (google map) hardware stores for a city along your route. I am in no way endorsing the stores below as there are several.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Steel-Rebar-Co ... t/50214547

Be sure to get something to go over the ends so people don't gash themselves on it (or just use Lag screws).

https://www.walmart.com/store/4370/fern ... enis+balls

Also, I want to go on record saying that the Playa needs more Australians! :D
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:14 am

When in Vegas, google yourself these stores

Lowes
Home Depot

In the area where they have bags of cement, concrete etc there wiOk be some binns with pre-cut rebar.

Get at least 3/8 inch, 2 foot length for smaller loads.
Get at least 1/2 inch 2-3 foot length for moderate loads.

1 inch is 2.54 cm. 1 foot is 12 inches.

Get a good heavy claw hammer. The heavier the better.

Get a pair of vise-grip pliers - ask the tool guys where they are.

Get a bunch of strong rope.

You are done.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:19 am

Oh, forgot the most important item.

When getting your rebar, pick up the orange rebar safety caps. They are used on exposed rebar end pieces to prevent them from cutting and gouging people who inadvertently run into them.

Get as many caps as you have sticks of rebar.

Rebar wounds are terrible, painful and the most common injury on the Playa.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:47 am

Token wrote:Oh, forgot the most important item.

When getting your rebar, pick up the orange rebar safety caps. They are used on exposed rebar end pieces to prevent them from cutting and gouging people who inadvertently run into them.

Get as many caps as you have sticks of rebar.

Rebar wounds are terrible, painful and the most common injury on the Playa.

And usually inflicted on someone other than the rebar installer :-(
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:02 am

I'm moving this over to the Recommendations board, since that's a better fit for what/where do I buy threads.

Sham

Postby Sham » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:28 am

The rebar caps are the most preferable to cover the sharp tops of rebar, but consider bright duct tape wrapped to cover the sharp edges as an option. It can be seen easily at night, and the razor sharp edges are covered. 8)

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Sham wrote:The rebar caps are the most preferable to cover the sharp tops of rebar, but consider bright duct tape wrapped to cover the sharp edges as an option. It can be seen easily at night, and the razor sharp edges are covered. 8)

I put solar landscape lights next to mine & I think I just found some for $.97 that will fit over the rebar. Need to fit test tonight.
I'm using bright tape for daytime to make them super obvious.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:07 pm

Used tennis balls work nicely too since they're bright, provide decent padding, and hold onto the end relatively well.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:33 pm

BBadger wrote:Used tennis balls work nicely too since they're bright, provide decent padding, and hold onto the end relatively well.

Yes the do.

Dude, your avatar still creeps me out :shock: In an awesome way.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:13 pm

I was just taking down my carport to pack it up. I kept looking at the rebar thinking I'd better pull it out of the ground before I go any farther.

20170819_184345_resized.jpg

Oh how the Irony stings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:39 pm

See what happens when you post disrespect about lag bolts? :twisted:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:57 pm

FIGJAM wrote:See what happens when you post disrespect about lag bolts? :twisted:

I knew that was coming :-) Lag bolt Karma!

Hey, someone needs to be the Iconoclast around here :wink:

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Thecatman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:21 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:Anyway, yeah there's several major hardware stores in or near Fernley NV that have rebar.

There is a Lowes in Fernley, on the east side of town.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Return to “Recommendations”