Plug n plays running amuk

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Plug n plays running amuk

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:50 am

Well, if nothing else, she now has links to the Ten Principles on several of her photos, a brief explanation of why feathers are MOOPy and why participants are asked to pick up MOOP for a couple hours, and an invitation to drop by the Home for Wayward Art for a chat and to adopt art.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:22 am

Entheos report.

We stopped by on Wednesday evening. People were jumping on trampolines. They had a 'gifting booth' out front for 'offerings' from their camp. There was a DJ.

Not a particularly pretty camp. Not a particularly inviting camp. I hope their *back of house* amenities were more cushy, for the folks who bought their burn (not).
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

MayNotBeReal
Burning Since: 2023
Camp Name: N/A

Post by MayNotBeReal » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:24 pm

gaminwench wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:22 am
Entheos report.

We stopped by on Wednesday evening. People were jumping on trampolines. They had a 'gifting booth' out front for 'offerings' from their camp. There was a DJ.

Not a particularly pretty camp. Not a particularly inviting camp. I hope their *back of house* amenities were more cushy, for the folks who bought their burn (not).
O boy. wouldn't it be a shame if someone were to break in and do some /devilish/ pranks... if that happened, they'd be really upset.... their wealthy, distorted view of BM would be totally shattered... wowee, what a shame that would be... they'd be forced to accept that they aren't particularly welcome... hoo boy... a real shame....

lucky420
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:33 pm

That shit has actually happened ^^
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Monday or Tuesday morning after the burn, I was enjoying a cup of coffee with death B4 decaf and a nice older man walked up and asked if we still had coffee. Yes. He got himself a cup and found a seat. He told us he was with Ethenos and had been having a marvelous burn. He told me about the talks they hosted and how great his campmates were. I didn't pry, but just listened. When he finished his coffee he said he should get back to camp to help pack. That was my only interaction with Ethenos the whole burn. I don't even know where their camp is, but I am assuming it was close to 4 and C.
In dust we trust.

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:08 pm

AntiM wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:54 am
some seeing eye wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:10 am
PnP causes misplaced belly buttons?

The selfie generation has been going on since Myspace angles. Digital cameras continued what started with film camera portraits of burners at the burn with the artwork in the background. One of the most interesting aspects of the burn is its open source fast fashion, evolved by images. Today people relate their experiences to food, museums, sports events, just about every thing they do through social media photographs. On facebook it's customary for friends to complement each other's photographs of themselves, taken by themselves or another photographer. I don't think the trend is going to reverse. Personally I would prioritize the temple burn being silent over prohibiting it as a selfie background. I'd end large scale sound vehicles so people could have conversations. None of that is going to happen.
I see you lack the context. This is a Victoria's Secret Angel, a model who is a brand herself. On Reddit it is reported that people were mourning were moved aside so she could have her shoot uninterrupted. She credits her fucking stylist! This is not some random chick with an Instagram selfie, this is a professional model who utilized a sacred space for her professional shoot. She is not people, she is a commodity. THAT is my objection.
I agree! Imagine a quadrant chart with the vertical axis representing the degree of commodification low to high and the horizontal axis representing participant wealth from high to low. That model and her #modelcrew represent the high commodification by wealthy participants quadrant. Given their reported income, they would be staying at a PnP camp with copious outside services. Those camps get special acculturation treatment by the BORG. So the responsibility for their behavior resides 100% with the BORG.

They can make their own Instagram post IMO that's weak while the PnP run amok. Would the BORG cancel placement for PnP camps with bad #instamodel behavior?

Personally I have zero problem with low income individuals and microbusinesses/craft hobbyists connecting their brand with the event. I don't think it is possible to prevent individuals from connecting their personal brand with the event.

I do think it would be great to create a new anonymity movement among burners, where the connection between their burner identity and real identity is known to only a few of their friends. But with facial recognition it is hard to keep them separated in the long term. All the personal data collected for online advertising already knows who the burners are.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:35 am

I just got a taste of backlash from the stylist who did the VC model shoots. I posted the decommodification principle on one of her Instagram photos, she lashed back at me. Unfortunately, she did so one the very last photo I took of MyLarry at home before he died. Wow. She outright admits she pays her bills this way, and if I am reading her comment right, gets a free ride to the burn. No way this will ever endear plug n plays and commerce on the playa to me.

"inspiresmiI’m going to annoyed your as much I can
inspiresmiTake care of your own business
inspiresmiI don’t need to explain my self to you!
inspiresmiYou don’t pay my bills
inspiresmiDon’t offer me a free Burn"

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2022
Camp Name: Dream Camp Leonardo (Camp Envy 365)

Post by Traveller in Time » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:38 am

Auch :(
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:02 am

Yeah, if you go to her Insta, she tells me the principles are just guidelines for the regionals, Burning Man has evolved, and she is above them.

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:35 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:17 am
don't give up...

don't ever give up.

what IS encouraging and gives me hope is the dialogue and conversation that is going on, and you know what?

The BMORG DOES LISTEN

just look at last year, they heard when we cried out about early sound camp line ups.

keep crying out, let your voice be heard, i'm sure there is at least ONE HORTON on the board who wants to protect our precious flower.

but don't give up.

thats not what this is about.

on election day it seems fitting that we, the community, let the powers that be know how we feel.

and, i still have faith, i know, that may seem strange, but, i've seen the Man burn through many rainstorms, i can only hope that he continues to do so.

it's really up to the BMORG now, ember is in their court.
I have to quote this 4 years later, since the thread's up and walking around as a zombie.

Still feeling optimistic about this problem being solved by the BORG, Simon? :|

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:10 pm

yes.

and i made this point the other day to a friend.

there will always be that small portion of diplos that are gonna diplo, models that are gonna model, and one percenters that are gonna one percent.

the borg cannot change this, but they can assimilate them, and who knows, maybe one day paris hilton will be laying fence.

we are invading defaultia, not the other way around.

if the borg has to respond to all the ills of the day then yes indeed, we are fucked.

im afraid not even danger ranger can stop The Dark Looming Shadow of Fascism.

yet.
Frida Be You & Me

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:10 pm
THIS
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:00 am

there will always be that small portion of diplos that are gonna diplo, models that are gonna model, and one percenters that are gonna one percent.

the borg cannot change this, but they can assimilate them, and who knows, maybe one day paris hilton will be laying fence.
Trickle-down decommodification?

Burning Compass
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lions Den

Post by Burning Compass » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Bless wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:16 pm
THIS
This will continue as the effect of the Burn starts to burn the world. I didn't read the whole thread but it seems to me like the solution is simple here when discussion decommodification of Turn-key camps. We take the time to show them how it's done. You can do that all sorts of loving ways, and some that may not be as loving.

- If you see anything that isn't decommodified walk up to that person and ask them about it. Maybe they didn't even realize it or didn't really understand the principal.

- Kinda moopy but you could carry stickers or a roll of tape with you and cover items that aren't decommodified.

- If you are in a not so warm mood, or you think someone is just being a dick, go and tell them how you really feel about it. Make the situation uncomfortable for them. Personally, would only use this as a last resort for a situation where positive reinforcement didn't work.

- For the militant pranksters, you could always walk around with a bullhorn and shame them. Not my style on this issue although I think it needs to be used for MOOP at Midburn, along with positive reinforcement. But that's another subject

If we all get creative and make an effort as a group, I'm not sure we need the BORG to make any drastic changes. We can just as easily effect change by being the change we want to see at the burn and spreading the understanding to those who are struggling.

Burning Compass
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lions Den

Post by Burning Compass » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Burning Compass wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:15 pm
Bless wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:16 pm
THIS
This will continue as the effect of the Burn starts to burn the world. I didn't read the whole thread, the amount of ire for turnkeys on here is a bit too much for me and I'm a tent camper so far. However, it seems to me like the solution here may be simple here when discussing decommodification at Turn-key camps. All we have to do is take the time to show them how it's done. I believe (broad strokes) that if all these problems are with just turn key camps, there must be something about their nature that brings burners who struggle in different areas than the rest of us. We can help them with that in all sorts of loving ways, and some that may not be as loving.

- If you see anything that isn't decommodified walk up to that person and ask them about it. Maybe they didn't even realize it or didn't really understand the principal.

- Kinda moopy but you could carry stickers or a roll of tape with you and cover items that aren't decommodified.

- If you are in a not so warm mood, or you think someone is just being a dick, go and tell them how you really feel about it. Make the situation uncomfortable for them. Personally, would only use this as a last resort for a situation where positive reinforcement didn't work.

- For the militant pranksters, you could always walk around with a bullhorn and shame them. Not my style on this issue although I think it needs to be used for MOOP at Midburn, along with positive reinforcement. But that's another subject

If we all get creative and make an effort as a group, I'm not sure we need the BORG to make any drastic changes. We can just as easily effect change by being the change we want to see at the burn and spreading the understanding to those who are struggling.

lovecamper
Burning Since: 2024

Post by lovecamper » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:39 am

delle wrote:
Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:48 pm
I think I just saw things in a different light.

Up until just now I saw most complaintive arguments as non-inclusive, judgemental whines. Then I saw this article and realized those were exactly the two sentiments that now glaringly stood out as wrong with Turnkey operations in my mind. Not the money. Not the excess. Not even the lack of self-sufficiency (because frankly, as long as it's getting done, it's not up to me to judge how it was achieved). Nope. It's the non-inclusive nature of them. The fact that, standing in their vicinity, you were just begging to be frowned upon.

And that, right there, rapes the number one most innocent thing I love about Burning Man. That for the while we are there, we are all on equal ground, sharing freely and without judgement or fear.

Busted.

There are a lot of “non-public” areas at Burning Man. Most major camps have them. There's commissary, etc., etc., but each of these areas provide comfort to people who are providing All The Huge And Wonderful Things that we all get to enjoy. I generally smile as I walk by these zones, thankful to those inside for what they offer outside of it for the rest of us.

Can we say the same of the turnkey camps or are they just Taking freely of the culture, without contributing anything freely back to it?

That sounds like a judgement. It's an actual question I'd love to know the real answer to.

https://stylufka.pl/modne-fryzury-meski ... -sie-nosi/
http://recode.net/2014/08/29/k-street-b ... aires-row/

"We got to the escarpment, a daunting wall of RVs. The entry was covered by gauzy drapes. As they billowed in the wind, we could see inside: A crystal chandelier, glass refrigerators full of champagne, a dining-room table to seat maybe 16, and half a dozen very beautiful women in lingerie, serving cocktails. One of them saw the group.

She stormed outside, furious.
The invaders responded defensively, saying they had just wanted to see. Some wanted to debate. She wanted everyone to keep walking. The group milled outside, debating whether to try again, or give up and go to a normal camp for a drink."
Unfortunately, this is unavoidable. It has already become normality, let alone the younger generation of these rich kids.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:44 am

Commodification of humans on the playa, by either taking their money for services or paying them to be the servant class, is wrong, IMHO.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

lucky420
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:49 am

Oh but it’s ok ^^ it’s burningman.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016

Post by Skuzzy61 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 am

gaminwench wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:44 am
Commodification of humans on the playa, by either taking their money for services or paying them to be the servant class, is wrong, IMHO.
I have to agree with that. Then again, I am only on my second burn,...so what do I know?
I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator and get the cooperation of everyone in front of me!

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:14 am

Plug n plays are still running amuk.
Since folks were able to see what Playa Stool was charging last year it's inspired like minded dipshits to try and recreate the "magic". Everyone wants to line their pockets like PS was allowed to do for so many years.

Should have killed the beast while this thread was revving up, now every one of them will change their name and there will be a wave of copy-cats on the horizon looking to have their mortgages and lifestyles financed by The Schmucks... Doing Burning Man Wrong!
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:51 am

There was another thread that slithered on to eplaya. It started with almost illiterate writing on the part of the poster. It quickly evolved into full blown camp layouts with charts, graphs and maps. I call bullshit! there is way too much money going into the pockets of these camp organizers. HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS! It's truly out of control.

Playa_Lover
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Playa_Lover » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:05 pm

Jackass wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:14 am
Plug n plays are still running amuk.
Since folks were able to see what Playa Stool was charging last year it's inspired like minded dipshits to try and recreate the "magic". Everyone wants to line their pockets like PS was allowed to do for so many years.

Should have killed the beast while this thread was revving up, now every one of them will change their name and there will be a wave of copy-cats on the horizon looking to have their mortgages and lifestyles financed by The Schmucks... Doing Burning Man Wrong!
Well said, Jackass.
Hotel Camps have shown & taught all of us how to make (scam) a lot of money out there. How to "legally" steal money (from the Mario fellow/PS thread) from virgins. I can't imagine (perhaps the super wealthy) anyone would dump that kind of cash on a return trip to a Concierge Camp. I certainly wouldn't do it unless it came with a day-spa & jacuzzi. *JK Since the org doesn't get involved in camp finances (glad they don't), put an end to the airport except for emergencies & official org business. Stop the OSS RV deliveries. Let everyone in, but make them wait at gate & at Will Call like everyone else. For f*ck's sake, if the wealthy campers had to drive their own RVs & wait in Gate line for 18hrs (2014 w/rain), that would've been the end of them! It would have become TOO tedious & inconvenient for them to attend. I camped next to Ibiza a few years back & they had 45 big ass ($300K+) coaches delivered into their camp (over my camp & equipment). Stop the RV & prefab tent/ yurt cities. Stop the obvious turnkey rental mutant vehicles! Stop making it easy for a few. It's hard to do this thing & it's supposed to hard. Up until this last Cultural statement by MG, it seems some at the top have been wandering about like a dildo without a compass.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:31 pm

Can we please have more scamming hotel camps? I want them to have a really bad reputation, the kind that scares away customers and maybe even forces the BORG to shut these camps down as the public nuisance they are. Camp operators charged with fraud and ruined burns for their customers - the whole thing! This zit needs to fester before it pops.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

seedetailsbelow
Burning Since: 2019

Post by seedetailsbelow » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:51 am

Not sure if this link will work in here. Camp selling hotel packages charging 12k for RV, bikes, water and ice delivery, whole foods grocery delivery.

Moderator note: link did not work, but removed anyway.

Return to “Stories”