Composting Toilets

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
fastgaz
Burning Since: 2017

Composting Toilets

Post by fastgaz » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 pm

So, I tried DIY composting toilet this year, and it worked very well. You take a 5 gal bucket, line it with heavy duty garbage bag, put a toilet seat on it you get from Amazon, and cover your poop completely with composting material (I used coconut fiber based material from Amazon - you add few quarts of water until it's moist).

It worked GREAT. I was dubious when I read it wouldn't smell, but so long as you covered it with a complete layer, it didn't. I mean, if you opened the top and sniffed carefully you might get a bit of smell but unless you did that, it didn't at all.

I didn't pee into the bucket, most sources recommend against that.

And it was pretty hot this year, so I think it was subject to a stress test. I did have a yurt, so maybe it might get hotter in a tent and maybe that may not work as well, but I think an enclosed yurt with little circulation is a bigger challenge than a tent.

In any case, I want to let people know this system works very well.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Composting Toilets

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:02 pm

Imagine... lots of today’s so-called burners leaving the playa carrying big bags of shit... what couid go wrong.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:03 pm

I wandered into 1st camp during EA looking for a Blue Room and found a set of four composting toilets. Made of steel, on a platform 4-5 feet high, perforated steel floor for the dust to come in. A bunch of machinery in a separate compartment behind them. Couldn't get a good look at the machinery but looked like they need to be on a power grid.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Fly Ranch Project

Post by Just_Joe » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:37 am

Popeye wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:03 pm
I wandered into 1st camp during EA looking for a Blue Room and found a set of four composting toilets. Made of steel, on a platform 4-5 feet high, perforated steel floor for the dust to come in. A bunch of machinery in a separate compartment behind them. Couldn't get a good look at the machinery but looked like they need to be on a power grid.
They are "Biofilter Toilets"
They were at the burn last year and there have been a pair of them at Fly Ranch since last fall.
The only thing mechanical are 12V 3amp drying fans located in the exhaust stacks. At Fly, they are powered with solar and batteries.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:00 am

fastgaz wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 pm
... I didn't pee into the bucket, most sources recommend against that. ...
I saw that for the first time this week.
"Poop is also a lot less smelly and composts much more quickly if it is not mixed with pee."
https://www.treehugger.com/bathroom-des ... ormal.html
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:41 am

I don’t think I’ve ever taken a squat without unloading the bladder at the same time.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:56 pm

Token wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:41 am
I don’t think I’ve ever taken a squat without unloading the bladder at the same time.
That's the point of the design in the link. As long as you're sitting, it's got a 'hidden' urine trap. Their use of the separated, um, products, seems a little bit ambitious, but who knows in the future. The big thing I assume is that they're contaminated with medicines and some of what were additives in food.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:29 pm

There were 2 big, beautiful, bio toilets at 'Burners without borders' camp. They were right in the area where presentations and activities were scheduled. Beautifully decorated and lit. The only problem i see is non-ADA compliant. No smell whatsoever.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:30 am

fresh wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:14 pm
FWIW. Searched ePlaya to see if I could find info on Portos since we had issues this year with ours and found this post. I believe they were a verified OSS vendor since I heard there was a public bank of them outside out 10:00 and our well known neighbors had a 2 Porto unit and was I able to experience them. First off, yes there are two separate stalls. Yes, there are stairs, but I believe it is needed to account for the composting section. No, they do not use sawdust. Yes, they were the best porto’s I have ever used, roomy, sturdy, not smelly at all. Yes they are very expensive. No chemicals. Yes, It was the best Porto’s I have ever experienced and that includes getting brand spanking new Porto’s in our camp last year. Yes, they are insanely expensive to rent and service (all in one price). Huge potential for the future.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:02 am

Our county garbage, go's to a burner .. I only need to double the bag, then place it in the garbage can.. Just double the bag on the lug-a-lu.. add some clay cat litter and, good to go
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:07 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:02 pm
Imagine... lots of today’s so-called burners leaving the playa carrying big bags of shit... what couid go wrong.
Of course the Capt. knows what this brings to mind..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”