GREATEST BASEBALL FANS IN THE WORLD?

All things outside of Burning Man.
cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:19 pm

joel the ornery wrote:
cowboyangel wrote:you got the apple pie, you got the Mom, you got the uniform but you ain't got the US' greatest sport...go figure....
"Shootin' is America's sport.
always has been, always will be."

Cole Younger, (Cliff Robertson) The Great Northfield, Minnesota Raid

That was a great movie..I remember it but I forgot who played Jessie?

Shootin video of protestors on Market St?
cowboy used to be on the HC rifle team...did ok too.....
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:13 am

Image Jesse James was played by Robert Duvall.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:37 am

Robert Duvall? wow
actually these guys were scum in real life...slaughtering innocent people...like....terrorists.....
I still liked the movie

(I think James rode with Quantrel, a bloody killer)
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

joel the ornery

baseball is dead.

Post by joel the ornery » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:22 am

for the most part, no one is innocent, IMHO. (please exclude children up to the age of reason, whenever that age is)

besides, baseball is dead.

and here is proof!

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:33 am

How about W.T. Sherman? Bloody killer. Custer? Same. War is war. Jeebus.
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:02 pm

The Great Ted Williams.....was a Marine pilot and Korean War Hero too.....

joel the ornery

Post by joel the ornery » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:07 am

and baseball is dead.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:24 am

ya go to Busch stadium and say that to the polka crowd.....

joel the ornery

Baseball is dead... Long live shooting.

Post by joel the ornery » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:14 pm

cowboyangel wrote:ya go to Busch stadium and say that to the polka crowd.....
Things go boom, all fall down

joel the ornery

Pod People

Post by joel the ornery » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:49 am

hmmmmm, Indoctrination, it seems to me. It appears to be a training ground for the military... hmmmmm.

July 31, 2005
Boys of Summer
By DAVID BROOKS
SARASOTA, Fla.

Every few weeks a newspaper or magazine will do an article on the professionalization of youth sports. It will be about these insane parents who spend their weekends driving or flying around the country for tournaments; who spend $60 an hour so their little ones can get tutoring from former minor leaguers; who can be seen screaming on the sidelines as their children compete.

For the past seven years my family and I have been living that life. My son plays on a travel baseball team called the BCC Heat, which has meant countless nights at Comfort Inns across rural America, driving through ice storms to get to winter practices and an infinity of weekends spent sitting in blue folding chairs on the sidelines while the boys grapple with the baseball gods.

Those of us involved in this sort of life can see why people object to the over-the-topness of it all: the $200 bats, the professional coaches, not to mention the sheer competitiveness of the games. There isn't a boy on this team who hasn't experienced, along with many moments of glory, crushing moments of defeat - the crucial strikeout, the game-altering error, giving up the season-ending grand slam - moments when tears come to even adolescent eyes and the parents on the sidelines sort of crumple inside at the sight of their child's pain.

Yet this team, which ends one phase of its existence here in Sarasota at the A.A.U. Nationals before the boys go off to their different high school programs, has been one of the most fabulous experiences of our lives.

What the critics miss is the irrepressible boyness of the kids, the rhythms of disciplined learning and exuberant play. They compete practically as men in 14-year-old tournament baseball in the morning, and then they go off and organize their own stickball games on the beach until the sun goes down at night. They've played together as a unit for all these years - from when they were four feet tall until now, when some have passed six feet - and not a single boy has lost his love of baseball or his comrades.

They have a physical confidence about them now, which comes from knowing they have become good at something really hard. They have come into contact with coaches who commanded an authority that, frankly, surpasses that of many of their teachers; coaches who talk more directly about character, self-sacrifice and discipline than other people in their lives or in their culture. They have become members of the community of baseball, the oddballs, near-stars and legends from Little League to the Hall of Fame, who speak a similar language and share a common attitude.

The attitude comes from the reality of the game, which is that the difference between a home run and a pop-up is minuscule. A pitcher dominates one day and is shelled the next. So the players, even our boys, develop this emotional resilience, this fatalistic ability to accept the good and the bad, which will serve them well in life.

The parents have a tougher time. There's almost a biological urge to want your child to be pre-eminent, and to shelter him from setbacks. And yet we've developed an unarticulated honor code for the team. Never lobby for playing time for your kid. Never speak ill of a teammate.

Human nature being what it is, everybody doesn't always live up to the code all the time, but we've become a tight community, enjoying and depending upon one another's company year after year.

We have seen loutish coaches and parents who live through their kids' glory - the stuff of Little League cliché. But that is rare. And there is no correlation between the quality of a team and the behavior of the parents. We have seen more bad sportsmanship at the local recreation level than at the national level.

Mostly we've seen boys experiencing the thrills of competition and the joy of being with teammates who share a common passion. We've seen boys who have matured not by being sheltered from challenges in order to protect their self-esteem, but by being able to go out and play against the best. We've seen boys who were thrilled to be sixth at nationals last year and who responded to this year's lower finish by going to the hotel pool and doing back flips.

This team is the chord running through their childhoods. It has turned them into remarkable young men.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:29 pm

September 15, 16, 17 18 YAAAAAAAAAA

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/bos/s ... =09&y=2005

Driveway

Post by Driveway » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:10 am

It scares me Joel, it does indeed.

No doubt these kids are mighty batsmen, hurlers, and fielders, with charm, resillience, confidence, and huge cocks that swing way down by their knees.

But, I ask you this: with all the time and energy spent on baseball; wearing tight fitted clothing, loping about fields like frisksome colts, handling ponderous shafts of American Ash, when, oh mighty lord when, will they learn about the evil brown-skinned peoples who want to take away our freedoms, and the damned liberals right here at home who want to help them?

Besides, baseball isn't a sport. It's a "pastime".
What is Driveway's Game?

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:18 pm

ehem...this is a baseball love thread.

joel the ornery

Post by joel the ornery » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:27 pm

baseball as false, not to mention, dead diety.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:48 pm

why don't you get off your baseball-death-kick for a moment and join me for a beer or two or three...been a beat-me-up kind week so far....

joel the ornery

Post by joel the ornery » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:20 am

ok, ok, ok...

there is no crying in baseball.

so Wade Boggs and Ryne Sandberg are hall of famers.... congrats, gentlemen.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:21 pm

Wade's tribute to his dad was moving.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:31 am

Red Sox have been destroying the White Sox..interesting.....

joel the ornery

Post by joel the ornery » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:19 pm

who cares.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:15 pm

Me and Mom and Dad and about 20 million people in and around the Boston area.....

joel the ornery

great baseball fans, not-so-great Rolling Stones fans.

Post by joel the ornery » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:40 am

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:07 pm

Boston has always loved the Stones.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:01 am

I Pre-Dick-

Yankees- 1st place by this time next month!

What happens in the playoffs only the Gods know.

Yankees and Red Sox

The only real show in Baseball!

AIIZ

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Ah, Steinbrenner and the evil pin stripes........
http://members.fortunecity.com/davidwill/vader.mid

we will assimilate them

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:46 am

if Kurt Schilling got off his evangelical mind warp and started meditating, his pitching would improve....still admire the bloody sock thing though...

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:35 pm

there's no joy in mudville......next year

joel the ornery

Post by joel the ornery » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:39 am

cowboyangel wrote:there's no joy in mudville......next year
cubs fan?

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:48 am

white sox will go on to win the world series, making the metaphysical unification of the US complete when the Toronto "Blue " Jays win the world series next year to effectively yield....red, white and "blue".....wow gotta stay off a this Jägermeister stuff....

joel the ornery

Post by joel the ornery » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:14 pm

i have no idea what that meant.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:24 pm

red white and blue? It's meta-physics baby.

Return to “Open Discussion”