13%
keep the original?
13%

Total votes: 38

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2022

ePlaya Color Schemes

Post by spectabillis » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:15 pm

One of the overdue changes on the eplaya is its look and feel, the ePlaya needs a facelift! The current thinking is having the ability for user's to choose thier own color schemes from a menu choice they can set with preferences (while keeping the current one as default.)

Anyone interested in submitting thier own color scheme? Shades of beige with orange/red lettering is not the best for long term exposure on eye strain.

Do you need more info?

current ePlaya css file with some comments - http://eplaya.burningman.org/templates/ ... ingman.css

some online tools for selecting color palette's and corresponding values - http://www.fuzzyfuture.com/tools/bookma ... r-palette/

Archantael

Post by Archantael » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:07 am

I voted for color and layout flexibility changes. If I'm at home I can easily view the eplaya. But sometimes I want to read it at work and I'd like to have a more neutral, minimal color grey/lt. blue looking interface so people think I'm in Notes or Exchange. Then there are times I view the eplaya on my Treo 700w and I'd like to have options to clean up the screen and omit any needless fluff / eye candy.

I know that's very general but if anyone on the webteam has a Treo or similar device have them try and pull up their account and read a couple of threads in Open Discussion. You'll quickly understand the difficulty.

If I remember correctly there's been an attempt to change the color scheme before...in fact under the "profile" section there are 5 Board Style options. Has anyone checked to see how many people are using any sytles other than the default one? Or how about promoting the use of the ones we have and/or freshinging those up?

I'll get off my soapbox now, thanks for letting everyone contribute to the process.

Dork

Post by Dork » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:53 am

The other styles aren't installed properly so they don't work, and in fact if you change the setting in your profile it doesn't do anything. I am going to try to get the phpbb default color scheme (subSilver) working again, and it would be nice to add one or two more if anyone is up for coming up with them.

A Human
Burning Since: 1999

Changing templates and mods

Post by A Human » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:46 am

A cautionary warning.

For each new template you allow the burners to choose from, you will have to mod each template accordingly. ie 5 templates/skins = 5 times we have to mod.

A poll to work out a final template skin a good idea, to be able to choose - not unless we have a lot of coders.

Peace

A Human

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:18 pm

Having options is always good as long as it doesn't mess with other stuff. I like to read and post here so I'd probably go with a simple grey scale theme and format for usability as much as I could.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:34 pm

MikeVDS wrote:.. go with a simple grey scale theme and format for usability as much as I could..
thats what i personally was going to work on. something simple and minimalist with far less clutter, something along apple's clean design guidelines. the first step i was going to do is color choices, then after learning how we tackle that move to design/layout choices.

thanks for replying!

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:33 am

if anyone wants to edit these to see what different color choices would be, please try. after putting them through grey scale then simply black and white, it really effects the look and feel. simply black and white looks fugly to me, worse than reading a newspaper!

here's a sample index/main and posts page.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:50 am

Wouldn't the least retarded thing be to install a few of the typical default style sheets and let users decide?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:42 am

oh i dunno, i tend to think that getting the previously set color choices to work again would be my first step before adding new templates.

dontcha think? or has the dead hampster buildup caused a backflow into the cranial cavity?

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:19 am

Cobalt, icicle, subSilver & LastCrusade ARE typical default phpbb style sheets, you retard.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:25 am

but they dont work right now, boy wonder, if and when they are fixed thats obviously the first step.

A Human

Horse before the Cart

Post by A Human » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:29 pm

I probably am now sounding like a broken record or maybe my previous points are too obtuse.

If you install multiple skins/templates/ before you decide on the other mods you, then you will be multiplying the work proportionally for those that have to code the mods later.

Each new skin or template will need the mod coded again, if you do not some templates will be more functional than others or you can't do as many mods because the workload is to big.

So I am raising for the last time the issue of determining overall what mods you want in the forum before you worry about look. There are so many from an antispam, admin management, mobile phone acces, user functionality ie attachments.

I understand that people may be keen to see change, however in this case if we head down the multiple skins path, it will make it far more time consuming for those that mod the forum afterwards.

Of course if the decision is to simply change a templates look and we use only just one for the time being, then that would be fine.

I won't raise it again

Anutha

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:46 pm

nope, you're not a broken record. you just have to get used to this place being a bit disjointed in conversations because of... drift, things which seem to miss your point, snarkiness (which is usually harmless), and these things are prone to becomming some huge deal that gets blown out of proportion.

so to back up - chaning layout is way jumping ahead, which was why i posted this on something more simple like colors and getting others feedback. in approaching that, as well as finding out what was broken and why, then things can move foreward but slowly - like knowing why the extreme styles mod you mentioned might be a good choice.

A Human

No problems

Post by A Human » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:40 pm

No problems, thanks for taking the time to explain.

Hana T

Post by Hana T » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Dont have lots of time to read this whole thread so not too sure whats really been said but on the Kiwiburn forum we have four different colour scheems to choose from, some of them are named after theme camps that were at kiwiburn, like Pink Moa which as funny as it sounds, has a pink colour scheeme, and we are waiting on another one that will be called green fairy, which will obviously be green.

Purple fire is the colour scheeme i use on the forum and its really easy to read/see new posts etc. has a black backround with purple frames and yellow ticks and things for new posts or receiveing pms or whatever.

I think it would be cool to see some new colour in the forum as well as layout : )

Kiwi burn forum if you wanna have a little geez - http://kiwiburn.com/forum/index.php

(hope i dont reveal too much about our secret plans of mass doom obliteration)
...with the beast.

Return to “ePlaya Feedback”