how does a camp get their own port a pottie

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
TripKnight

how does a camp get their own port a pottie

Post by TripKnight » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:16 pm

it was 3 years ago and i was stumbling we were running around following this girl by the name of tit-mouse and her large man friend that seemed not to like us very much. Deep in the inner cave of their camp they had a port a pottie this a combination lock on it. She was mumbling something about it being easy to get. It has not been the case for me. Does anyone know the most endorsed method for acquiring and servicing a camp specific port a pottie
The TripKnight Party Crew. A.K.A. THE Sound & Art Collective.

phil

Post by phil » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:31 pm

Hire your own. Check the Reno Yellow Pages.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:36 pm

BMORG provides poopers to the ESD, DPW, and Lamplighters, probably other support camps as well. You may have been deep in the midst of them.

later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:04 pm

Does anyone know the most endorsed method for acquiring and servicing a camp specific port a pottie
By planning much further ahead than -50 days until the event.

bmix
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Tikiplex-12

Post by bmix » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:42 am

And now (drumroll please)...

The answer you seek!

Talk to these fine folk: http://www.sanihut.com/ The camp I've been with the last few years has used them every year. I forget the prices, but they were extremely reasonable (WAY cheaper than you'd think). Plus, their staff has a couple Burners. Very friendly and helpful every time; high marks all around. It always makes me wonder why more people don't do it. You can PM me if you'd like more info from my forgetful brain.

The situation you describe sounds eerily familiar. Were you perchance at a bar composed of 2 Costco carports lashed together, and were there one pink and one blue porto on a trailer? And was there a guy with a lightsaber throwing up in a burn barrel in the back? Um... that, uh, that wasn't me, it was just a guy that looked like me... yeah...

Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:20 am

Great Link Bmix!

I want to rent this one

http://www.sanihut.com/execsuit.shtml
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

bmix

Post by bmix » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:51 am

Steven bradford wrote:Great Link Bmix!

I want to rent this one

http://www.sanihut.com/execsuit.shtml
Oh HELL yeah!

Seriously, I pulled up the link and just about shot tea through my nose. I just wonder if the seat's made of gold. This should be Robbidobbs' potty. Awesome...

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:19 am

My house isn't that nice!

phil

Post by phil » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:23 am

I forget the prices, but they were extremely reasonable (WAY cheaper than you'd think).
If you ever remember the price, kindly post it. Did one potty last all week without service? Did they service it?

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:53 am

...I think our camps are getting 4 with 2 pumpouts during the week for around $500....considering that we have ~100 people, that is WAY reasonable...
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

bmix

Post by bmix » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:20 pm

phil wrote:
If you ever remember the price, kindly post it. Did one potty last all week without service? Did they service it?
Here's everything I remember about the potty rental:

1) We transported it ourselves, from the rental place to BRC. 2" ball on the back of my tiny Toyota pickup. I can't remember if our providing the transport was a requirement, or something we did to save money.

2) They rent them in pairs: one blue and one pink, pre-loaded together on the back of a small metal trailer. They stay on the trailer through the event - people have to climb up a step to get in.

3) There was some sort of deposit in the form of a credit card. Someone else made the deposit and I cannot reach them at the moment.

4) I want to say the price was less than $200 for the week. Seriously, it was very cheap (and yes, I call that cheap considering you don't have to deal with the other potties).

5) Two potties, one week, About ten regular users... they did fine. They were extremely funky by Monday, but still usable and no overflow. They were never pumped on-playa. Remember, these are industrial, job-site potties - very large tanks.

6) Also, they were great for loading garbage into for the trip back to Reno. We would drop the trash at the disposal place, then return the potties.

And a piece of advice: if you go this route, find some way to hide them. Everyone was very understanding when we told them no (we try to keep the capacity for the camp), but I still felt bad having to turn people down. Plus, it eliminates the chance of hoverers and nasty nasty messes. But then, I suppose, that might depend on your campmates. One year we came up with a tarp between two RVs, with an opening at the top to allow them to vent properly. That seemed to work the best.

This year, our regular camp decided to take a year off, so two of us are branching out with our own camp (the Tikiplex 12 tiki bar/theater, look us up at Playa Info). The camp is (much) smaller and has an RV with septic, so this'll be the first year in several we won't be renting there. If the camp gets bigger again, we will definitely be back to the Sanihut. Hope this helps, and if I can get hold of the guy that did last year's deposit, I'll post here.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”