Anti M's Home for Wayward Art 2009

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:24 am

pontouf wrote:
AntiM wrote:I feel expectations .... yikes.
Another hostess told us about the amazing classes coming up. I do want a basic class so I know how to manipulate my materials, how to work with various mediums, basic technique. I do worry that a formal class would change my naive style. I do not fear the paint and I worry I would be corralled into a style.
its damn near impossible to corral an artist. for the duration of a class, maybe you will try a new style, but nothing will ever destroy what you have unless you ask it to... i'm the daughter and granddaughter of accomplished painters, both of whom give me "lessons" on a regular basis, and yet my painting is nothing like theirs. My mother cannot help but paint women, in everything she does, my grandfather uses texture, and despite my 3 years of formal training and my schooling from my family, I still paint in values, working almost in gradient maps, even when I TRY to paint in other styles...
lessons are good for us. they teach us how to merge existing styles with our instinctual connection to the medium.

:D go on!get learning!!
i agree with this ... i actually stopped drawing for about 20 years, and am often amazed at how similar my current style is to my former style. i am trying to break it, too!
but, at the same time, learning technique is definitely taking something out of the creativity, which gets a little depressing at times. but i'll have time for that later, when i don't have time for classes. the creativity also disappeared for 20 years, it came back too ... although not quite to the same level ... yet ...
i have been playing with various mediums for some time, while finding my style ... you have to try things, see what works for you. antiM, do you work in oils, or acrylics? i've used both, and may be able to point you to some stuff.... the choices are bewildering, and often very expensive ...

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:19 pm

Acrylics. I've used oils and hate the clean-up.

pontouf

Post by pontouf » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:30 am

ahhh i'm brainstorming, an i'm thinking my personal theme might be... light!
exciting! exciting! i love projects!
:D :D

accordionMan

Post by accordionMan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:56 pm

"I do not fear the paint and I worry I would be corralled into a style."

I wouldn't worry about that.

I've found that creating art is like your own handwriting.

It's personal and filtered through your experiences and level of "practice".

Everyone has their own way to express the different letters and stringing the words together to communicate.

The same is true with art.

You can learn different techniques, use different mediums, but your choice of subject matter and your use of color, line and how they are expressed through your emotions is you.
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:33 pm

looks like someone shares your artistic view...AntiM.

(at the 30 second marker)

I think it makes it 100% better

[youtube][/youtube]
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:02 am

See? Godzilla makes everything better!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:01 am

Indeed. Thanks 1ED.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat May 16, 2009 10:52 am

Would it be wrong to tell the newbs it is mandatory to bring a piece of art to the Home? Like a scavenger hunt, and they get to choose a different piece of art as their reward.

Or is that just mean?

penguin
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Kidsville

Post by penguin » Sat May 16, 2009 7:43 pm

AntiM wrote:Would it be wrong to tell the newbs it is mandatory to bring a piece of art to the Home? Like a scavenger hunt, and they get to choose a different piece of art as their reward.

Or is that just mean?
Depends -- do you mean to the newbs or to the art? :roll:

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat May 16, 2009 7:45 pm

penguin wrote:
AntiM wrote:Would it be wrong to tell the newbs it is mandatory to bring a piece of art to the Home? Like a scavenger hunt, and they get to choose a different piece of art as their reward.

Or is that just mean?
Depends -- do you mean to the newbs or to the art? :roll:
I think it's only sporting to let them know.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Goddess_Lisa

Post by Goddess_Lisa » Mon May 18, 2009 1:55 pm

So, if my amateur, first-time art installation morphs into complete crap, it can find a home for 6 days at your house?
Awaken from “tyranny over the minds of man,â€

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Goddess_Lisa wrote:So, if my amateur, first-time art installation morphs into complete crap, it can find a home for 6 days at your house?
It wouldn't be for six days, the art at the Home gets adopted by strangers. Permanently. But seriously, I only take smaller pieces. One year I got saddled with a sculpture which we had to smash for transport and toss in the trash back here in Utah. Not every piece of art in the Home finds loving parents. If I can't repurpose, I destroy!!!!

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:34 pm

Some pieces utilizing the fab items Mojo so generously sent to me, which may or may not make it to the playa, the Utah burn gets first shot:

I am keeping the barrette!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:03 pm

I have art for you. And some canvas board.
The Lady with a Lamprey

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:11 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I have art for you. And some canvas board.
Cool! you always have the best stuff.

Goddess_Lisa

Post by Goddess_Lisa » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:08 pm

AntiM wrote:
Goddess_Lisa wrote:So, if my amateur, first-time art installation morphs into complete crap, it can find a home for 6 days at your house?
It wouldn't be for six days, the art at the Home gets adopted by strangers. Permanently. But seriously, I only take smaller pieces. One year I got saddled with a sculpture which we had to smash for transport and toss in the trash back here in Utah. Not every piece of art in the Home finds loving parents. If I can't repurpose, I destroy!!!!
Understood. ;-) I actually thought it was a theme camp at the Burn. My ignorance. However, that would be an interesting camp ...

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:00 am

Mmm, it is a small camp in a village of individual camps (Hushville) which operates an interactive art installation.

You are welcome to drop off any smallish art you have which you'd like to go to a new home. At the very least, stop by and get some new art for yourself.

Goddess_Lisa

Post by Goddess_Lisa » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:47 am

AntiM wrote:Mmm, it is a small camp in a village of individual camps (Hushville) which operates an interactive art installation.

You are welcome to drop off any smallish art you have which you'd like to go to a new home. At the very least, stop by and get some new art for yourself.
Will do, sounds fascinating...

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:48 am

I saw a T-rex that squirts you in the face when you stick a finger in its mouth at wallyworld last night.

always lookin', ya' know....(yeah, you know) :wink:
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:55 am

oneeyeddick wrote:I saw a T-rex that squirts you in the face when you stick a finger in its mouth at wallyworld last night.
yeah right, I'm sure it was your 'finger' you stuck in it's mouth, uh-huh.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:18 pm

I can see it now... " Gag Me ", by T- Rex. An Abstract watercolor piece.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:45 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
The Lady with a Lamprey

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:44 pm

AntiM wrote:Mmm, it is a small camp in a village of individual camps (Hushville) which operates an interactive art installation.

Isn't size relative? :? How small is "smallish"? Smaller than a mountain? Smaller than a trailer for a semi-truck? Smaller than an atom? Let's get you pinned down on some exact size, and then tempt you to break your own rules! :twisted: :wink:
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:06 am

3-d art such as sculptures... smaller than your head. Creative tins and jewelry are popular.

2-d visual art ... pocket sized for gifting to traveling burners, torso-sized for wall art, and the occasional sofa painting is alright as long as we can fit it in the trailer if no one takes it. Unmounted drawings on paper tend not to get adopted and die inelegant deaths in the art box. MOOPy art is unwelcome.

NO costumes. The t-shirts last year were an anomaly and from our own camp, via Romeo Freakenstein. Thanks RF.

The rule is: if Anti M don't like it for any reason, it ain't going to reside in the Home for Wayward Art. Even if I have to kill it.

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:10 am

Okay, so house-sized, steel structures are right out, then? :wink:

So, small means reasonably portable, and creatively arranged garbage isn't likely to pass inspection. (Actually, I was surprised how little trash I had at the end of the week... with the exception of the disaster which happened inside my large cooler [and that was mostly the surprise discovery that the meal replacement bars used water soluble glue in their packages! :roll: ])

Thanks!
--Russell Kirsch

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:06 am

Zip-lock bags are your friends when it comes to coolers. Everything in zipper bags!

The Home does acquire trash, we even rope it off at night now. Just a visual barrier, but slows down the beer-drinking at our tiny table. I wouldn't mind, but there are always bottles and spilled beer and trash, even a used condom once. Euw.

I have a bag for clips, and if I forget and leave it hanging out, people use it as a trash bag. Grrr.

Last year I had a guy up on the table, wiring his used costume pieces to the upper support; a clown wig, a ratty skirt and a parasol. I made him cut the wires and take his trash away with him. Dolt, no one would want such trashed things and no one could easily remove them anyway. Had I not wandered out, I would have had to take his trash home with him. The Home is for ART, not leftovers you don't feel like hauling away.

penguin

Post by penguin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:12 am

Okay, let's see if I got this right... if your name is Art, and you've lost your way on the Playa it's okay to crash and AntiM's? :roll:

Seriously (okay, maybe not seriously), wouldn't it be better to call it "AntiM's Half-Way House for Wayward Art" or; "AntiM's Recycled Treasures" (better known as A.R.T.)? :)

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:28 am

Ah, but much of the art is original pieces. And I can't change the name now, it is an institution.

LOL.

Art Rehab. Anyone have a "T"?

And Art could crash at our camp if he asked nicely and left no trace. And didn't rummage through our things.

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:03 am

AntiM wrote:Zip-lock bags are your friends when it comes to coolers. Everything in zipper bags!
NOW you tell me! :lol:

Yeah, used condoms are pretty disgusting. Unfortunately, with my job I wind up dealing with them regularly even when they are disposed of properly... :roll: (Remember, when dealing with trash, gloves are your friends!)
--Russell Kirsch

penguin

Post by penguin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:27 am

AntiM wrote:Art Rehab. Anyone have a "T"?
TRANSITORIUM (Is that a word)?

Turnstile? Throughway? Terminal? Tent?

I really prefer tortilla, but that doesn't make much sense. :oops:

Return to “2009 Art & Performance”