Friends are obsessed, Burning Man spirituality crap.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
BBadger wrote:I remember sharing my spiritual moments with friends at my camp, notably that I was spiritually humbled on the throne after holding my shit for about a day or two with indigestion.
Oh how Martin Luther of you.

hey it aint easy nailing 99 feces onto a JOTS door...
True, but if you think of nailing onto the Pope's face, it becomes easier.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

what? me worry?

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:00 pm

Frida Be You & Me

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Isotopia wrote:
yea, I doubt your camp mates like hearing about that spritual crap, LOL
In the other Badger camp (the original one BTW) anything spiritual must include the letters (or the word) b-o-u-r-b-o-n.
I'll get mommy that drink now, Bourbon it is, neat or rocks? or a splash perhaps?

I think I'll have a nip too. Cheers to ya! and to the spirits of course.

ps just so we're clear, I ain't a hippie, moonrise, stuck with that! :?

Edit to add MORE spirits, heh heh
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:16 am

One of the most common phrases you will here around our place these days is: "Stupid Burning Man." On a really good day, you might hear "GOD DAMN BURNING MAN!"

The phrase is typically accompanied by either a large sum of cash being invested in some ridiculous shit that we will have no use for the other 51 weeks of the year, a ridiculous amount of time being spent putting something together that will have no use for the other 51 weeks a year or normally, a combination of both money and time that a sane person would be doing something real world productive with. Like traveling to somewhere on vacation that did not involve hauling ridiculous amounts of crap halfway across the country in a slow ass school bus to go camp in a god damned desert in the middle of mother fuck nowhere.

But, being as how I'm a Burner, I am clearly not sane and I would not trade it for anything.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 am

Hehe. "Stupid Burning Man . . . " (I kinda hear this in Homer Simpson's voice, which makes it funnier).
Check out these googles item #25062 I think they'll be perfect for BM on playa (made for desert, wind, sun etc, they seem perfect) they are $13, my $15 'cool looking' googles didn't keep dust out so well. These are military, great for exploring in those mysterious dust devils and storms, heheheh.

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?p ... &tabid=548
I bought those goggles in black from the local Army/Navy store. They were great during the duststorm during the burn of the man last year.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:22 pm

Savannah wrote:Hehe. "Stupid Burning Man . . . " (I kinda hear this in Homer Simpson's voice, which makes it funnier).
Check out these googles item #25062 I think they'll be perfect for BM on playa (made for desert, wind, sun etc, they seem perfect) they are $13, my $15 'cool looking' googles didn't keep dust out so well. These are military, great for exploring in those mysterious dust devils and storms, heheheh.

I bought those goggles in black from the local Army/Navy store. They were great during the duststorm during the burn of the man last year.
Oh really? I'd love to know what you paid? ($5 bucks or?) The description is exactly what is called for at TTITD!

The dust storm kicked up the night they burned "Megatropolis'...whoa, we got plastered beyond recognition!! all dressed up and then playa-fied, like big time! I forgot my goggles and had to wear toy flashing blinkie glasses! What a joy! clear lenses but basically, a toy!
Back at camp I used 1/2 bottle of fake tears, some visine and soaked my head, then back out we went...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:25 pm

I paid $12 or $13, I think.

This year I will be making them a little fancier in appearance.

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Hamandegger wrote: Aside from a few Asian and a handful of Black attendees it is as racially pure as a Hitler Youth rally. The Nazis loved to get together and throw big parties with unrestrained beer swilling, amphetamines, and a veneer of mystical/occult mumbo jumbo.
Likening Burning Man to a Nazi Party is absolutely rediculous. No, I haven't been to a Burn yet, however I think the lack of folks of color or different race does not a Nazi camp make. Anyone from any walk of life can come to BM. For some it's just not their cup of tea. I used to think the same way.(That is wasn't my cup of tea).

Judge not, lest ye be judged. *I've always liked that phrase*

I'd like to know, how would people like the KKK or the Ayran nation fare at BM? Or the Black Panthers? Bloods or Crips? Any type of hate group or gang?
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:08 pm

You actually bit at this Hamandegger's quote?

His is another shit opinion masquerading as caviar.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:48 pm

All I know is, Burning Man is always on my mind, takes up 2/3 of my double garage and consumes most of my spare time and money. It is a part of me. The people we've met there are a part of our daily lives. The experiences rate highly with all I've done in my 55 years. Laughing my ass off hilarity and purging my soul sobbingly letting go of grief and frustrations from things out of my control. It is refreshing,,,, it is exhausting,,,, it is uplifting,,,,, it is intimidating,,,, it is awe-inspiring,,,, it is fundamental survival. But nothing is more fulfilling to me than bringing smiles to fellow burners and making the unflappable blush.

If you got a problem with that,,,,, GO FUCK YOURSELF!

after you're done c'mon over and have a drink on me.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:20 pm

@CapSmashy, you have an awesome set up, I saw the photo of the Tempurpedic bed in that bus (I'm jealous!!) I'm also tempted to bring mine with me (does it get thrashed with dust though? arg!)

@Maryanimal, hold onto your doors kiddo, they're about to be blown off and so far away you may just need new ones after BM 2011 (have you seen my doors, oh and my roof? LOL)

@Trish AND Tek, WORD and hiya! (waves hand!!) if I fly down (flight miles, blessed be) you two are only minutes from the family home base...let's have a drink!!
(maybe we can gather up some of the other Ventura County eplayans too)

@Badger, much respect!!

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:34 am

moonrise wrote:@CapSmashy, you have an awesome set up, I saw the photo of the Tempurpedic bed in that bus (I'm jealous!!) I'm also tempted to bring mine with me (does it get thrashed with dust though? arg!)
Only dust in the bed was what we tracked into it, which wasn't very much. We carried a couple extra sets of sheets but I don't think we ever needed them.

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:32 am

moonrise wrote:
Savannah wrote:Hehe. "Stupid Burning Man . . . " (I kinda hear this in Homer Simpson's voice, which makes it funnier).

Oh really? I'd love to know what you paid? ($5 bucks or?) The description is exactly what is called for at TTITD!

The dust storm kicked up the night they burned "Megatropolis'...whoa, we got plastered beyond recognition!! all dressed up and then playa-fied, like big time! I forgot my goggles and had to wear toy flashing blinkie glasses! What a joy! clear lenses but basically, a toy!
Back at camp I used 1/2 bottle of fake tears, some visine and soaked my head, then back out we went...
I've used those goggles for the last couple years and they work great! The big thing to remember is to keep BOTH lens with you. On the night of Megatroplis burn I reached into my bag for my goggles and discovered that I still had the dark lens in and that the clear lens were back in my tent. MAJOR mistake. I had Lasik done a number of years ago and I'm very protective of my eyes. Try riding your bike in the dust storm at night with dark lens. It was a nasty trip trying to find my way back to camp with dark lenses :cry:
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:37 am

maryanimal wrote:
Hamandegger wrote: Aside from a few Asian and a handful of Black attendees it is as racially pure as a Hitler Youth rally. The Nazis loved to get together and throw big parties with unrestrained beer swilling, amphetamines, and a veneer of mystical/occult mumbo jumbo.
Likening Burning Man to a Nazi Party is absolutely rediculous. No, I haven't been to a Burn yet, however I think the lack of folks of color or different race does not a Nazi camp make. Anyone from any walk of life can come to BM. For some it's just not their cup of tea. I used to think the same way.(That is wasn't my cup of tea).

Judge not, lest ye be judged. *I've always liked that phrase*

I'd like to know, how would people like the KKK or the Ayran nation fare at BM? Or the Black Panthers? Bloods or Crips? Any type of hate group or gang?

there are web sites that say otherwise...

besides, i already have most of my wardrobe, please don't tell me "i'm doing it wrong"
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:57 am

geospyder wrote:
moonrise wrote:

I've used those goggles for the last couple years and they work great! The big thing to remember is to keep BOTH lens with you. On the night of Megatroplis burn I reached into my bag for my goggles and discovered that I still had the dark lens in and that the clear lens were back in my tent. MAJOR mistake. I had Lasik done a number of years ago and I'm very protective of my eyes. Try riding your bike in the dust storm at night with dark lens. It was a nasty trip trying to find my way back to camp with dark lenses :cry:
You too Geo? It was so thick it blocked out the lights, dark lenses, you poor guy! I'm GLAD to hear these are really good goggles. (hope your eyeballs are OK, whew!)

That dust storm; it was as thick as snow! You could feel it caking us over.
I had two well dressed gals with me, we sat for well OVER an HOUR, maybe longer, waiting and being plastered, blasted beyond belief...I finally had to explain to the gals, "It's like dirt bike riding, you must keep up with the pack of art cars and bikes or it's called EAT MY DUST!, we must get moving again! they are kicking up the dust ladies" "I am the guy here, we are moving forward, I am in charge, no more eat my dust for us!!" We slowly went forward, zigged and zagged and finally got to Esplanade, caked, and me semi-blinded! Uh! & A Ranger put a "I don't work for Larry Harvey" pin on me!!

When we got back to camp, The camp vet said, 'that's nothing, just a sorta kinda dust storm/whiteout' me: uh huh, ooookay, :roll:

I think the following Tuesday (other than Man burn night) was another major blast but manageable, more wind not as much dust....packing was tough but do-able. I'll be back! (must keep up with the pack!!) hahaha!

Birgins, do not be afraid, it was a good storm, imho, get these goggles!

Return to “Stories”