Just an idea.

All things outside of Burning Man.
Roger Dodger

Just an idea.

Post by Roger Dodger » Thu May 26, 2011 10:48 am

Hi everyone. I have been reading this forum and I don't understand how it helps the Burning Man ideal.

Now I do not want to get on your bad side and I am not trying to say that I understand something more than you, what I would like to say is there are a lot of cool people on this forum. I have to say TomServo you music choice ROCKS so hard!

And then there is this really mean group, that is just cruel, to each other and anyone that comes by. It is like they are taking out their frustrations on the eaiest targets. I don't understand? How does that help with your ideals that are in the beginners guide?

Just a suggestion but maybe you could create a main thread for "snark" only and leave the rest to the ones that go to the Burn for real reasons. Then you could be really mean to each other and still... well I just don't have it in me to be that mean. Have you ever thought of a Thunder Dome thread? On a place to post your real "Fucks" and not just a place to say "Fuck"?

Also the sex seems to be everywhere in the most inappropriate places. What about an adult thread area as you allow 13 year olds to sign up on this forum. I am not a prude by any means. I have very fun stories, but come on it would stop anyone from doing anything they where in too.

That is all I wanted to say, thank you for understanding, these are just my opinions.

Have a great burn.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu May 26, 2011 11:37 am

Yeah pretty much!
A lot of the snark comes from the fact that a lot of newbies pop on, ask the same questions over and over! There are probably 1 million and 1 questions about tents, contact lenses, hair, and other repetitive stuff.

A lot of the Snark is between people that are established friends. Then there are people that are just idiots and need to be told they are idiots.

The adult thing... I kinda agree. A lot of us surf eplaya at work, and every so often there will be NSFW picture in a thread that is other wise safe for work. But, come the fuck on! Its Burning Man related so you know anything could happen. Surf ePlaya at your own risk!
I do not think that 13 year olds should be allowed on here though.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu May 26, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi Roger. It's a little early to take us apart, what? You're like a new house guest who is critiquing the layout of the buffet. :)

I think the Open Discussion forum actually helps keep the rest of the site a little cleaner and on-topic. In my opinion, it's a pressure relief valve. For new people, it is the least necessary & informative forum. It's the playground. Please note:

* Some of the bickering is affectionate. If you decide to get to know ePlayans a little better--which is quite optional--you'll see. You'll also note that certain people love to agitate, & others love to smack them down. Consider observing for a longer period of time. I'm not saying you'll like it (you don't have to) but you might understand.

* Scorn is rightfully heaped upon: moochers, con artists, trolls, demonstrably lazy folk, the willfully ignorant (who are bound to pass out in your camp from thirst), egotistical DJs who expect to be worshiped, people who go off half-cocked, fake identities (sock puppets), folks who might endanger the event through bad practices, and people who give dangerous advice.

* There is some plain old crankiness, yes. ePlaya is not perfect. You will hear this more than once: ePlaya is not THE Playa. This is an internet message board like any other. ePlaya is not an uncommon place.

Burning Man, however, IS.

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu May 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Too soon?

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Re: Just an idea.

Post by joel the ornery » Thu May 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Roger Dodger wrote: That is all I wanted to say, thank you for understanding, these are just my opinions.
please keep them to yourself.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu May 26, 2011 12:21 pm

We do have a thunderdome thread. Seek and ye shall find.

As has been repeatedly pointed out, eplaya is not The Playa. One should never confuse the two.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu May 26, 2011 1:25 pm

Actually, I think this forum would be better served if people with fewer than 5 posts were not allowed to start threads.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu May 26, 2011 1:28 pm

Oh a post elitist. ;)
How about this?
"You're free to do what you want as long as it doesn't interfere with another person's trip".
Deal?

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Thu May 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Roger Dodger wrote:Hi everyone. I have been reading this forum and I don't understand how it helps the Burning Man ideal.

Just a suggestion but maybe you could create a main thread for "snark" only and leave the rest to the ones that go to the Burn for real reasons. Then you could be really mean to each other and still... well I just don't have it in me to be that mean. Have you ever thought of a Thunder Dome thread? On a place to post your real "Fucks" and not just a place to say "Fuck"?
Roger, Roger, Roger..... I think it really is the case that you don't understand. I wonder what makes you believe you know what the "Burning Man Ideal" is as it applies to each of us?

The Fuck thread is one of the most sad and moving threads on eplaya where friends new and old pour out their hearts and the aches of their hearts to one another. There they find consolation and empathy. How can you possibly construe that as just a place to say Fuck?

So, you have chosen, apparently, to lay down some politely phrased snark regarding threads you either haven't read or haven't looked for (such as our existing Thunderdome thread). And you wonder why we get testy?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu May 26, 2011 1:49 pm

We have several lovely features here, including the ability to skip over the posts of people you really cannot abide. That's what the little smileys below the avatars are for. Scroll over them and you'll see which is which. Plonk (ignore) is a terrific way to reduce your eplaya stress. You can also choose not to visit certain threads.

Eplaya is what it is, and what you make of it.

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu May 26, 2011 2:27 pm

AntiM wrote:That's what the little smileys below the avatars are for. Scroll over them and you'll see which is which. Plonk (ignore) is a terrific way to reduce your eplaya stress.
Whaaaa? Shit, I've been at this for a year or two now and I still didn't really know what those were for.

Thanks Again- Anti-M!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu May 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Roger Dodger wrote:Hi everyone. I have been reading this forum and I don't understand how it helps the Burning Man ideal.

Now I do not want to get on your bad side and I am not trying to say that I understand something more than you, what I would like to say is there are a lot of cool people on this forum. I have to say TomServo you music choice ROCKS so hard!

And then there is this really mean group, that is just cruel, to each other and anyone that comes by. It is like they are taking out their frustrations on the eaiest targets. I don't understand? How does that help with your ideals that are in the beginners guide?

Also the sex seems to be everywhere in the most inappropriate places. What about an adult thread area as you allow 13 year olds to sign up on this forum. I am not a prude by any means. I have very fun stories, but come on it would stop anyone from doing anything they where in too.

That is all I wanted to say, thank you for understanding, these are just my opinions.

Have a great burn.
Opinions are like ass holes. Everybody has one and they are all full of shit.

Thank you ever so much for sharing yours though.

I guess that puts me in the mean ass hole category
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu May 26, 2011 2:51 pm

AntiM wrote:We have several lovely features here, including the ability to skip over the posts of people you really cannot abide. That's what the little smileys below the avatars are for. Scroll over them and you'll see which is which. Plonk (ignore) is a terrific way to reduce your eplaya stress. You can also choose not to visit certain threads.

Eplaya is what it is, and what you make of it.

:D Like the desert, plenty of room for almost everybody.

Roger Dodger

Post by Roger Dodger » Thu May 26, 2011 3:02 pm

Got it. Thank you for you honest response.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Thu May 26, 2011 3:13 pm

I will say this the most diplomatically that I can: This is not the playa.

The playa is a once a year event for all us. But this is the internet. Its not the dusty home we love and adore.

And as far as the sex goes, I say to each their own. But don't sensor my internet. If you want a 13 year old appropriate thread or board - create it. Sensor that part, but don't hold everyone to your standard.

And remember: To have the option of me respecting your ability to be you, you have to give the same respect.

Have a good one!
We break to remind us how to mend.

Roger Dodger

Post by Roger Dodger » Thu May 26, 2011 4:49 pm

FaeTora wrote:I will say this the most diplomatically that I can: This is not the playa.

The playa is a once a year event for all us. But this is the internet. Its not the dusty home we love and adore.

And as far as the sex goes, I say to each their own. But don't sensor my internet. If you want a 13 year old appropriate thread or board - create it. Sensor that part, but don't hold everyone to your standard.

And remember: To have the option of me respecting your ability to be you, you have to give the same respect.

Have a good one!
Do your research before putting your foot in your mouth little girl.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu May 26, 2011 5:11 pm

LOL Thirteen?! How the hell did they ever come up with that age? I would have thought it would be the same age required to actually GO to the event without a guardian.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu May 26, 2011 5:26 pm

If you don't like it here, maybe you should go to Tribe.net for your fill of easygoing Burning Man BlaBlaBlaaah.

BTW, I turn 13 this year, wanna see my Dick?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu May 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Mojojita wrote:

Roger, Roger, Roger..... I think it really is the case that you don't understand. I wonder what makes you believe you know what the "Burning Man Ideal" is as it applies to each of us?

The Fuck thread is one of the most sad and moving threads on eplaya where friends new and old pour out their hearts and the aches of their hearts to one another. There they find consolation and empathy. How can you possibly construe that as just a place to say Fuck?
Agreed. Read three pages (that's less than 100 posts) of the Fuck Thread, and you will probably see how much we love each other there.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Trishntek
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Thu May 26, 2011 6:57 pm

I didn't know TomServo could sing!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Thu May 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Mojojita - you nailed it.

The requirement to say fuck is just a little applied humor, a way to laugh in the face of overwhelming grief or pain. There have been posters who come on the thread just to say fuck and be crude. But they stop or go away once they realize that no one is paying attention to them.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Thu May 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Trishntek wrote:I didn't know TomServo could sing!

Oooh He has a loverly singing voice TnT!!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Thu May 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Roger Dodger wrote:
FaeTora wrote:I will say this the most diplomatically that I can: This is not the playa.

Have a good one!

Say there Rodger Dodger old man, very good at the snark and subtle meanness. You'll fit in perfectly. :roll:
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Thu May 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Trishntek wrote:I didn't know TomServo could sing!
I can't. Got kicked out of choir in 3rd grade. So, I stuck with the Bass Guitar.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Thu May 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Roger Dodger wrote:

Have a good one!

Did I say on this board? No. You have to be 13 to be on this board, it doesn't mean its that age appropriate, it means its defiantly not suitable for kids under that age.

One more, calling me little girl only demonstrates you have no grasp on the concepts you preach. You are not worth another breath.
We break to remind us how to mend.

Roger Dodger

Post by Roger Dodger » Thu May 26, 2011 9:58 pm

FaeTora wrote:
Roger Dodger wrote:

Have a good one!

Did I say on this board? No. You have to be 13 to be on this board, it doesn't mean its that age appropriate, it means its defiantly not suitable for kids under that age.

One more, calling me little girl only demonstrates you have no grasp on the concepts you preach. You are not worth another breath.
First I am probably taller than you, so to me, you are a little girl. Or is that picture of a not so endowed boy that you chose to reflect you? *Sigh* Luckily breath is free as I am. My worth is not defined by a breath-o-lizer.

Second you are wrong, you are being augmentative for the wrong reasons. It is a easy fix. The will keep you out of trouble with people that look for these things. Change the `13 to an 18 and you are compliant. So what, is the big deal. Also when did 13 become the legal age of consent for someone to talk about these topics.

Now here is a question for you FaeTora. What concepts am I preaching? It was just an idea. Are you afraid of new ideas? Or are you afraid you will not be allowed on the board anymore?

It was just ideas. I didn't demand they be done. You hear preaching but stare in a mirror? Do you really want to argue about age appropriateness. Why the fight? It was just an idea. Am I to be on trial for my thoughts? Will you stand trial for yours? Is this getting to deep? Will Marget and Henry make the excursion to the desert? These and more questions will be answered on the next episode of "Soap" or the "Unnecessary drama as I have no life and want to argue about nothing that really matters as that what makes me hot show"?

(Was that better 'snark'? I don't want to let you down.)

Edited a few spelling errors.

Trishntek
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 pm

We do take ourselves a wee bit too seriously sometimes don't we?
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu May 26, 2011 10:07 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

And it's argumentative, you noobie fuck!

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu May 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Thought Police are here, you're under arrest.
JK

Roger Dodger

Post by Roger Dodger » Thu May 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Yes and that is who I am. I thought this place was a place where I could be myself? I am opinionated. I have an opinion as I have experienced life on a scale that I understand and am whole in.

Did I really insult you that bad with a suggestion? In addition I did not say you had to believe it. Just a thought. Do knew ideas scare you? Do you have to do every new idea that is suggested.

Is this really a good representation of what you "Love". The ePlaya's middle name is BurningMan. In some cultures this is the mothers last name. Do you really want to embarrass Mom?

As to call me a you noobie fuck is a little 1987 don't you think. Lets try to bring it up to the 2000 and late days at least.

----

And I just realized the ePlaya's last name is commercial (COM stands for commercial). So don't get so preachy with me. To funny.

Return to “Open Discussion”