2011 First Timers Experiences

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
poplopo

2011 First Timers Experiences

Post by poplopo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:55 am

Hey, this year was my first burn, and I didn't see a thread like this elsewhere so I thought I'd start one.

I'm interested in hearing about other ex-virgins' first burns and seeing what their experiences were, so post them here if you got em!

What surprised me about my burn was how long it took to actually get into it. I've been wanting to go to Burning Man for probably 7 years now, and I've been preparing for months, so I thought that when I got there I would just be jazzed as hell the entire time. But for the first and second day, I was looking around and appreciating the art, but thinking, "yeah, this is really cool, but is it really worth all the heat and dust and money and preparation and stress of actually getting here?"
By the end of the third day, though, the magic of the place had sunk in. The enormity of the accomplishment of a city like that, and the slow realization that all this was done without commercial motivation, hit me, and opened my eyes to it in a new way. Freed me up a bit. From that point on, the dust and the heat did little to hamper my enjoyment of it, and I drank everything in as much as I could.
I know there's more to be had, though; this year, I went mostly alone and on my own steam, so my goal was simply to survive the desert enough to enjoy the event. Now I know how to do that, and next year I'm going to focus on my participation level. I have plans for mutating my bike into a giant bug, and putting together random acts of performance art, and camp decorations, and lighting and music and, oh, I just can't wait for next year!
Thank you everyone for making my burn such a wonderful, magical experience. Thank you thank you.
we will all die so gloriously that ever having lived will seem like folly.

StandingLenticular

Re: 2011 First Timers Experiences

Post by StandingLenticular » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:40 pm

It was my first time and I really enjoyed it. I've been having BM fever dreams ever since I've gotten home.

I encountered some of the power at BM in a few places: At the teepee with the cast molding holding hands. I had a special experience there. Also when I volunteered with the Lamplighters. I just imagined (as I hoisted 60lbs on my back for a mile!) what if everyone put this much love and attention in their community back at home?

My favorite experience was jumping from camp to camp handing out spices (anyone get a visit from "Marco Polo? :D ). It gave me the chance to break down the front doors of everyone's camp and get to know some great people! I loved being a nice part of everyone's day.

I definitely did better during the day than at night. I'm not much of a partier (especially to techno-ish music...) but I did try to participate as much as I could. Roller Disco was awesome!!!! As was watching Yellow Submarine. :)

Of course I brought too much food and not enough water. :P But I hung in there!

Miles

Post by Miles » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:47 am

keep em coming
I like bikes and stuff

thelionking
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by thelionking » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 am

Being on the Playa at night with the lights of the art cars, the random music wafting over the Playa and the lit up art pieces was a moment never to be forgotten.

The power of the Temple and seeing all the memorials of people who have passed was so moving it still brings me to tears thinking about it.

Having conversation with random strangers as we took in the art reinforced my faith in humanity.

I thought I was going to do a lot of people photography, but found that I didn't want to disturb the moments they were having.

Instead I focused on personal self portraits and the art.

I only hope my photographs can capture 1% of the feeling I had when I took them.

Lima Beans

Post by Lima Beans » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:58 pm

I dunno. At first I was like.. "Is this it?"... Just a huge camping trip with some neat art....

But, then it happened.. Something about it was just greater than the sum of its parts, and I really felt changed and renewed afterwards.

edit: sorry had to remove the rest of this post.

elKay

Post by elKay » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:41 pm

We finally made it home last night- best vacation ever.

Only one complaint. After planning for 2 years, we were SO excited to be coming up to the greeters after less than 2 hours in line on Monday. Our greeter told us to come back another time to ring the bell because it was too busy to do it right now. Stupid, but I wanted to cry. Then, we parked where we could hear the bell ringing all day, (starting just behind us)- and it sounded like so much fun that in the evening we got on our bikes and rode back to have our turn. It took us quite a bit of time to get someone's attention, (we tried to walk up to one after another greeter between cars) finally the response was like, "sure, I guess that you can ring the bell if you want- what ever..." So we each hit the bell once, but no yelling, no rolling in the dust and no welcome home.

Now the rest of the week could not have been more perfect- we looked for and found ways to participate.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:00 pm

elKay wrote:We finally made it home last night- best vacation ever.

Only one complaint. After planning for 2 years, we were SO excited to be coming up to the greeters after less than 2 hours in line on Monday. Our greeter told us to come back another time to ring the bell because it was too busy to do it right now. Stupid, but I wanted to cry. Then, we parked where we could hear the bell ringing all day, (starting just behind us)- and it sounded like so much fun that in the evening we got on our bikes and rode back to have our turn. It took us quite a bit of time to get someone's attention, (we tried to walk up to one after another greeter between cars) finally the response was like, "sure, I guess that you can ring the bell if you want- what ever..." So we each hit the bell once, but no yelling, no rolling in the dust and no welcome home.

Now the rest of the week could not have been more perfect- we looked for and found ways to participate.
Hi elKay! Sorry you didn't get the Greeting you deserved. High traffic times can be unforgiving. If you came through my line, I would've told you "WELCOME TO LAS VEGAS!" (because I can't help it) hugged you if you gave off the receptive vibes, and respectfully requested that you do a push-up and kiss the playa, or make a dust angel. If you were averse to this, you get the hose again. Er, the bell. And, if it were 2010, I also might've also accidentally bent the Greeter rules, but only upon request. :lol: Then you would have received your map and guide and sticker and a warning about no speeding, no wipes in the potties, no drinking in the car, or failure to wear seatbelts. As your vehicle rolled away, I would've yelled "Don't do anything weird!" or give you a half-moon.

Please accept this long distance greeting as a placeholder.

If a lack of silliness in your actual Greeting experience was the worst you can say just off the top of your head, you are a lucky, lucky person (being Greeted slowly across the course of a week, really) and I hope you don't forget it . . . .

elKay

Post by elKay » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Savannah wrote:...... hugged you if you gave off the receptive vibes....
I would be receptive to hugging you any day, Savannah.
Please accept this long distance greeting as a placeholder.

If a lack of silliness in your actual Greeting experience was the worst you can say just off the top of your head, you are a lucky, lucky person (being Greeted slowly across the course of a week, really) and I hope you don't forget it . . . .
Greeting accepted, :-) We could see that the week was perfect, other than the non-welcoming beginning- so no complaints really.
I tried to take all of your advice and go in with NO expectations, but I guess I failed when I expected to be greeted.

One thing that I did not expect was how beautiful the drive would be- it seemed a rite of passage to stop at the gateway to the west along 80 in Nebraska before watching the cornfields change to hills and mountains. The drive made the whole trip an epic adventure.. I had never been west of Denver before, so we went all the way to Yosemite.

The trip was perfect, we will be back.

creativecstasy

Post by creativecstasy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 pm

I sort of knew what I was getting into with Burning Man. Many of my close friends are burners, I watched the ustream for the past two years, and I read EVERYTHING, no, really, EVERYTHING online beforehand. (My boyfriend practically forced me to stop reading eplaya the last few days before leaving for the playa.) Over-prepared virgin? Hi!! That's me!!
  • I was surprised how busy it was on the open playa at night. Even the first few nights when others around me noted how empty it was, everything seemed so busy and moving and buzzy to me.
  • I was awed by the Temple on Saturday wished I could roll back time to spend more days there earlier in the week.
  • The brightness of the city surprised me. We camped out in the suburbs and it was a welcome relief to see "only" solar lights at every tent on our block.
  • I was absolutely not remotely prepared for how cold it got at night. Two layers plus a coat was not enough. Nor was my sleeping bag warm enough.
  • The heat of the large burns was nearly a religious experience for me.
  • I was surprised how little I cared about being dirty/not clean after the first day and a half. Yes, I found (and greatly enjoyed!) a couple showers, but I embraced the dust and by the end of the week I didn't want to leave.
  • I had friends tell me after the fact they were worried about me. I'm apparently someone they expected to either LOVE or HATE the experience, but no way to know until I was there. Well, I loved it. And I'm already on the list to be a greeter next year. I can't wait to go home. :lol:
I'm sure I'll think of more to add later...

[edit] alright, why doesn't my BBCode work?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:12 pm

creativecstasy wrote: [edit] alright, why doesn't my BBCode work?
Go to your profile and uncheck the box that says "disable BBCode". (Why the default is for it not to work is one of those questions that has driven philosophers crazy for thousands of years.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

creativecstasy

Post by creativecstasy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:14 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Go to your profile and uncheck the box that says "disable BBCode". (Why the default is for it not to work is one of those questions that has driven philosophers crazy for thousands of years.)

...I did. Like months ago. I just double check and it's on the right setting. /pout.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:16 pm

creativecstasy wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

...I did. Like months ago. I just double check and it's on the right setting. /pout.
And now it's working...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

creativecstasy

Post by creativecstasy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:16 pm

And now it's working...[/quote]

not on my end. oh well.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:20 pm

creativecstasy wrote:

And now it's working...

not on my end. oh well.[/quote]
Wow, that's odd...
The Lady with a Lamprey

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:41 pm

It was my 6th year and I STILL get the Acclimation Weirds. I STILL get that What The Fuck am I DOING here feeling. I still have been searching for my place in the city and still considered it Just Bizzarro Home, up until this year. Im sure I will have an acclimation freakout again next year. Its part of the turf :) Then it all sinks in, yes.....You start to notice that the playa has its own special strange floral smell, like a beach on mars.....and then something magical happens and POOF

Ive been hearing about BMan since 95 and finally made it in 05, saw many pics and movies.....My biggest surprise was that it was so round. I thought it was more tucked back in between a couple mountain ranges in a corner like area of the playa, and I thought the streets were linear and criss cross like a checkerboard. I was surprised to see how vast and round everything was, and how bright it was all the way around. I was also pleasantly surprised by all of the Humor and shenanigans. Thought it was more Serious Core Tribaly or something. It is, but its also totally silly and absurd. The yin yang is strong with this!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:58 pm

This year was my first year too!

First year since 2001 that I didn't go to Burning Man! And it was grand!

I didn't travel, I stayed home. Saw some good friends, ate at several restaurants I normally couldn't afford and still came out thousands under budget for a typical burn, not to mention all the time and effort saved not preparing and building stuff.

I had running water, flushing toilets, and double ply quilted toilet paper! No sore ass from bicycle riding, no cuts, bumps, n bruises. No baby wipes.

I have cuticles!

I have fingernails!

I don't have moleskin holding my feet together!

Life is good.

It was better last year anyway.

Fuck yer day!

dandelion

Post by dandelion » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:02 am

First time over prepared virgin here too! One of the first awesome experiences was riding out to the deep playa late at night and running into amazing art installations. There was an art car that pulled up at one point. I'm not sure why, but it was really one of the most memorable moments. It was a spinning art car that had cushion seats around it (like a donut) and had blue lights along the bottom and was bumping the most awesome music (anyone seen it too?). The driver jumps out with an orange reflective suit with huge white platforms...so cool. We then made our way deeper to the playa and ran into an art installation that had three cars facing the esplanade where you can sit inside and change the tunes on the radio and in front of it was hills that said "Birmingham" or "Burningham" I don't remember lol. Anyway, I found that the most spontaneous adventures in the deep playa were the best :) Oh! And dancing at Hookahdome and Disorient and watching all the amazing fire dancers.

tahiti_treat
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:45 am

I had an incredible first burn. Every second of the planning and every cent of the money we spent were worth it several times over.

My biggest surprises:

We brought the minimum recommended amount of water and it was WAY too much. I was also so afraid of getting dehydrated the first couple of days that I drank too much water and had to pee really badly every 15 minutes. We also brought WAY WAY WAY too much alcohol and ended up gifting a lot of it.

I got really emotional when I visited the temple when I first arrived, but the temple burn didn't mean anything to me. There were many other moments that were so much more significant.

I had expected to want to be by myself more than I did, since I'm kind of a loner. Instead I felt so much love for my friends and mostly just wanted to be with them all the time. I expected it would be a bonding experience, but not to the extent it was - I had no idea my heart could hold so much love.

Having personal possessions became unimportant to me. I wanted to share everything and really loved gifting. Standing out on the street gifting energy drinks after the man burned was one of my favourite moments of all.

I forgot everything about my regular life. I forgot about my job, my house - I FORGOT I HAD A DOG. Most intense mental vacation ever.

So much more. I'm going to spend some time over the next week writing in my journal and trying to remember it all. It was magical, beautiful, special. My first year was definitely not my last.

Playa Status

Post by Playa Status » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:52 pm

I have found love and happiness inside myself and I managed to do this because of Burningman. What an amazing experience and next year I plan on bringing as many people as possible. Good people of course.

I didn't fall in love with the place till my 3rd day on the playa. Like someone mentioned here before me I just found myself thinking "Yea this is cool but it's not really what I thought it'd be. It wasnt awesomeness being slammed into my face every second." But something started to happen.. I came to burningman for some personal reasons and I had alot of questions that I hoped I would find answers to. The biggest step that I took was to begin asking these questions...asking people who were walking by, people I was attracted to, people that were working, just people in general! I figured if these people are at burningman then there must be a reason for it, maybe reasons similar to my own. Asking these questions I met the most amazing people and found the best answers I could've ever asked for. It was simply incredible.

After the first day of seeking truth the rest of my time spent on the playa turned into a magical journey in which everyone I met, everything I did was apart of this great mystical message of truth. The advice I found has helped me grow and realize what I am capable of, what we are all capable of. And I learned that love is the most powerful force in the universe. Not to find love or happiness in outside sources, not in burningman, not in women, not in music (although all these things are great) but to find it within yourself. People come and go, you will always stay with you. It is profound and I still carry this knowledge today. I experienced no post depression and I feel each day I become stronger and life is so much more valuable. I radiate joy and happiness and I don't ever want to stop. At burningman I remember thinking, theres no way today could be better than yesterday..and literally a few moments after having this thought something amazing would happen and I would just be swept away in a flow of awesomeness..and I rode that wave...I rode that wave like there was no tomorrow. And there wasn't. It was beautiful.

How long will I be on this ride? I sure this isn't just some high that im experiencing and that no matter how hard the days ahead will be ahead..I have hope, light and love....and It burns strongly within my own heart. I want to be the light and inspiration to all my friends..I want everyone to feel what I feel...I want everyone to love....just to love.

I have so much more to say... Just not enough time.
Until next time! Peace and Love ! (Spoken in hippy voice)

On.The.Road

Post by On.The.Road » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:18 am

Inside Burning Man it felt just like outside: dark, cold and lonely. Plus, dusty. I'm sad to say I enjoyed the long way to BRC, and the long (LONG!) way out much, much more - 3500 miles of me, my rental car, my GPS navigator and country music on the car stereo, and the amazing open spaces of Nevada, the Four Corners and the Midwest. And Jack Links brand beef jerky (vile junk, but addictive as fuck)

I felt like a fucking thief leaving on Saturday night/Sunday morning, full of shame, trying as hard as I could to tear down and pack in before my super-nice neighbors came back from the burn (but I wasn't ninja-stealth enough). I fucking fled the place, leaving behind two boxes of supplies (which I hope were useful to the cleanup crew), with a really stupid goodbye note to the neighbors pinned to them. I was in such a hurry I even fell asleep at the wheel a couple times (the Chevy sedan that ran over a sign and broke off a wheel well on early Sunday morning? that'd be me), before giving up and pulling over to snooze a little (the guy sleeping in a Chevy sedan parked by the side of Hwy 447 on early Sunday morning? that'd be me)

I was already feeling like shit for a few days, and I kinda sorta avoided getting to BRC at all for a couple days, taking long unplanned detours (to you, that may be the "default world"; to me, it was the goddamn fucking U.S. of fucking Awesome). The final preparation was exhausting as well: I couldn't bring all the stuff from home (somewhere in Europe), as I was already barely within my baggage allowance, so I had to stop by a Walmart supercenter one afternoon to buy tons more shit (I guess that, on top of everything else, this makes me a Walmart camper); then I had to shuffle around all my baggage, ziploc-bagging the valuable stuff, organizing a day-pack, etc. under the watchful eye of one harpy of a motel manager who let me overstay for a mind-blowing 30 minutes past check-out time. Absolutely exhausting, as was the post-burn cleanup and reshuffling of baggage into "road trip" configuration, and the final reshuffling into "TSA-safe" configuration a week later

I tried really hard to enjoy it, from the group hug at the greeters', to the face paint I got as a virgin, to the free food and drinks coming pretty much from everywhere, the compliments (my cheapo pinstripe polyester suit earned me a "sharpest dressed man on the playa" comment, not to mention all the love for the flower dress), all the nice people... on burn night I gifted blinkies and glowsticks to random darktards on the plaza, I got help setting up camp in exchange for some of my water, I had amazing neighbors (whom I regretted deserting like an asshole from the minute I did; and yes, I am trying hard not to name names, I'm still horribly ashamed for how soon and stealthily I left), I found a random abandoned junk bike next to my tent right when I needed it the most... everything was pretty much perfect, and I still felt like shit. The atmosphere just wasn't what I expected. All the unaltered rental RVs and moving vans with huge fuckoff logos were very depressing (although the U-Haul vans with random facts were so bizarre to me that they felt more credible than some attempts at BM art). Being repeatedly refused rides on art cars when I was on foot in the middle of the plaza ("this is a private party" - say whaaat?) was very, very depressing. The blinding sea of whiteness (and I'm not referring to the playa) was extremely depressing. People outside BRC accurately avoiding any eye-contact with someone who clearly was a fellow burner, while at the same time getting compliments and questions about BM and human interaction from random country yokels and store clerks: super depressing. And then tons of small stuff, like almost all theme camps looking closed/abandoned or otherwise unwelcoming, all the "circling the wagons"-style camps, what looked like the whole West coast raver scene, the white-hetero-male-friendly sexuality displays, the expectation to party everywhere all the time, the dirty looks you got for asking for alcohol-free stuff at bars, all the damn golf carts with huge blinding headlights, and what the fuck was the deal with the limo anyway?

To me, BM was not a life-changing experience at all: just more of the same shit I experience the rest of the year, except with blinkie lights, and smack in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. And dusty. I understand the potential, though, and I'll be back next year, hoping to get more than another week-long anxiety-ridden downer

Upside: the fucking fishing yacht on wheels. I was absolutely flabbergasted every single time I saw it. Every single damn time. It never got any less weird or awesome
Last edited by On.The.Road on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:41 am

Great fucking posts.....thanks for sharing all y'all......So crazy how this city is SUCH a Yin Yang. And the above 2 posts represent BOTH the Yin and Yang that shines from BRC. It can sooooo be both. BMan can be cold, dark and lonely even for the most experienced burner. It can be the opposite. It switches at the flip of a coin. To sound redundant, expectations on the city can ruin your good time so its best to not pre judge what is coming at cha and be open to whatever you encounter. You also have to keep the notion of "Being the change you wish to see". Im glad to hear that you'll be back to try it again, but next time maybe YOU can change the logos on your truck to be more artistic and YOU can be the friendly one......Also maybe you can add to the positive by PACKING OUT what you Packed In instead of leaving 2 boxes of MOOP for others to deal with, and be safer to your fellow Burners by NOT almost falling asleep at the wheel on your way out. You get what you give in this city. This is the yin yang balancing act. Sounds like you were depressed and looking for a savior which is totally understandable, but sounds like the city did not meet your Expectations. Again you have to BE the change you wish to see in order to perpetuate. Its the Burny Way! <3

shykat

Post by shykat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:49 am

Huh? ^ on.the.road^

I think you just did it wrong......Try again next year and dont think so much about.......Best Burn Evaaaaaaaaaaa!

edit to add who i was reffering too.
Last edited by shykat on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

On.The.Road

Post by On.The.Road » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:07 am

RedHeaven wrote:Also maybe you can add to the positive by PACKING OUT what you Packed In instead of leaving 2 boxes of MOOP for others to deal with
Not MOOP, fresh unopened camping supplies neatly organized in two cardboard boxes. I was asked to leave it for the cleanup crew. Repeatedly. I was asked if I had any, at the gate, on my way out. Not MOOP
RedHeaven wrote:Sounds like you were depressed and looking for a savior which is totally understandable, but sounds like the city did not meet your Expectations. Again you have to BE the change you wish to see in order to perpetuate. Its the Burny Way! <3
No amount of "nice" scolding is gonna do it, sorry. I had an absolutely shitty time at BM, and none of it was my fault - no-one's fault. I was prepared, I came with the lowest of expectations (had a fuckton of supplies never expecting any handouts, never expected help from random passer-bys, never expected my neigbors to offer me a honest-to-god grilled sirloin dinner, never expected to find such fantastic neighbors by total chance...) which were abundantly exceeded, and I still felt like shit. I skipped my meds by mistake for a day, but when I started taking them again, all that changed was that the constant suicidal thoughts and the crying went away, and I could afford to merely feel sad (with no real place to feel comfortable feeling sad in, except maybe Point 3 of the fence). I wasn't just depressed, the BM was a depressing experience to me (as I said, I had zero problems at all driving by myself for 3500 miles in the deserts and open country before and after the event). I really missed a Camp Do Nothing where I could really do nothing, as opposed to swinging from a geodesic dome into a foam ball pit. Maybe I'll organize a Camp Valium for BM 2012, or I'll just go sit out by the fence keeping Point 3 company the whole time

You have to admit, though, that some things about BM 2011 were total bullshit regardless of the fun you had or hadn't

robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 am

You get what you give in this city.
amen. while the 10 principles are awesome and all,"the more you put in, the more you get out" is totally the golden rule, IMO.

having said that, a big surprise my first year was the full range of emotions i'd run through over the course of my experience. Sure there was joy, wonder, and blissed out community love- but there was also some rage, sadness, loneliness and confusion sprinkled in for good measure.

if the truck logos bother you so much, maybe you should think of a creative, NON DESTRUCTIVE/NON PERMANENT humorous way of sneakily modding them in the middle of the night? (I'm sure someone will red flag messing with other people's shit, but i'm in the camp that favors adding to the overall experience. example: i caught a dude with a drill stealing street signs. I yelled "dude!" at him and then he showed me he was replacing them with near perfect looking replicas- except it would say analversity instead of anniversary- at which point i laughed and told him he ruled and wished him well).

as for art car snobbery- it happens. if you want to set your own standards for who gets to ride, start welding :D

On.The.Road

Post by On.The.Road » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:30 am

Ditto on messing with other people's shit: it's wrong, and I don't want to be an asshole about the things I don't like (I gave shit to nobody. I still felt like shit). And I can't contribute much to the event without a massive fucking expense OR throwing away lots of shit post-burn (which doesn't feel very burny to me), because as I said I fly in from overseas and I could barely fit my camp in the baggage allowance of a duffel bag, a carry-on and a backpack; I can't even begin to think of the logistics nightmare (and the expense) of bringing anything based on welded stuff

I just wanted to make the point that I felt like shit at BM in the same, exact way I feel like shit in my everyday life, for the same, exact reasons. All the happy people talking about a life-changing experience (before, during and after BM) make this even more depressing, as happy people usually do. For me, the life-changing experience turned out to be, instead, getting to, and getting the hell out of, BM

I'll be the asshole who makes this point, I guess

On.The.Road

Post by On.The.Road » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:32 am

shykat wrote:I think you just did it wrong......
I guess I did. I wrote a rant about "not getting Burning Man" on one of the temple's railings, in fact

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:35 am

13 years for us. 12 in a row skip and then this wonderful year.. wowowowowow

point is this:
8 years-wonderful
2 years- bad, bad, bad...
2 years- meh
1 year-can't remember.. (it happens)

I'm sober and try to be involved in many things, but shitty years happen and hats off to all the burners who come from other lands.. I can't imagine what the cost are and the headaches that pop up on your trip Home.. Thanks for coming, we have many great overseas burners in our area. We greet opening sunday and offered space to a dad/son riding motorcycles. They had gear on bike and gear in others camp, but no shade.. Great part of our camp this year.

Glad you did see some of the open land of the USA, maybe next time shot into Yosemite, or other great Nat. Parks that are so close.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

8) 8) 8)

oh, remember, The bmORG now has 'GREEN DOTS" that are mental health workers on stand by. I saw them at the Temple one a.m. really helping out fellow humans. Let them chat with ya......
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

shykat

Post by shykat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 am

I guess I did. I wrote a rant about "not getting Burning Man" on one of the temple's railings, in fact

Never give up...... All things do pass,as how you go about that change is up to you. Maybe BM is just not your cup of tea.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:44 am

On.The.Road wrote: I just wanted to make the point that I felt like shit at BM in the same, exact way I feel like shit in my everyday life, for the same, exact reasons. All the happy people talking about a life-changing experience (before, during and after BM) make this even more depressing, as happy people usually do. For me, the life-changing experience turned out to be, instead, getting to, and getting the hell out of, BM

I'm a firm believer in the "Bring No Expectations" mantra...
and try as hard as we do, we still all bring them. They come in many different forms. I'm sorry that your real life and BM life were a Mirror Image for you this year. Your back mind expectation didn't come to life and you suffered. it happens.
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

On.The.Road

Post by On.The.Road » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 am

What can I say? It just felt like a place where people who already feel good get to feel amazing for a week. No place for me. At least I didn't ruin anyone's experience with my horrible downer self (except possibly for the disappointment my neighbors felt). I worked hard to "fake it" hoping to "make it", before, during and after (to anyone who will ask me, I will tell BM was an amazing experience, and it will be the truth. Such is the bizarro world of feeling like shit), but it just wasn't meant to be

Return to “Stories”