For those of us with a natural fur coat

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
moonwookie
Burning Since: 2013

For those of us with a natural fur coat

Post by moonwookie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:05 pm

I am filled with intense desire to be in BRC in 2013. In amongst all the usual birgin questions of how much of what sort of which things to bring, I have one ridiculously focused question that I am "burning" to have answered.

Being in possession of a "pelt" (and trust me, it's everywhere), I am interested in transforming what I have from something the default world considers at best unsightly into a walking art display. The concept is simple: get someone with a bit of time on their hands, a comb, a few swabs and a bottle of peroxide to change me into a zebra. I can do this myself, but only my front! It wouldn't look right if it was one-sided.

I plan to attend the Decompression here in LA for the purpose of meeting the people who attend this year and getting a taste of what the Playa has to offer, but any jump start I can get in information would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: For those of us with a natural fur coat

Post by Eric » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:26 pm

I've seen quite a few creative uses of body hair out there. Just remember that if you're not used to shaving, you might itch as it starts to grow back in. Bring something to soothe the transition back to hairy...

Also- strong sunblock. Them bits aren't used to direct sun.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:28 pm

What an unusual first post! Welcome to ePlaya.

I think your best bet would indeed be to attend the Decompression and meet locals. Provided you don't scare the horses, someone there might be happy to help change you into a zebra. So yeah, make Burner friends. If you don't meet someone who seems open to the idea, do your chest at home and pack your accoutrements when you leave for the playa and see who's willing to help with the back. (A mohawk might also not look out of place. Zebras have those short narrow manes . . . )

I am just now imagining the sign outside your camp: "Make me into a zebra & win a prize! Inquire within."
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

catinthefunnyhat

Post by catinthefunnyhat » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:47 pm

moonwookie wrote:Being in possession of a "pelt" (and trust me, it's everywhere), I am interested in transforming what I have from something the default world considers at best unsightly into a walking art display. The concept is simple: get someone with a bit of time on their hands, a comb, a few swabs and a bottle of peroxide to change me into a zebra. I can do this myself, but only my front! It wouldn't look right if it was one-sided.
I gather by the "peroxide" bit that you're planning to bleach your hair. Our resident expert in matters of the hair is tattoogoddess. You may wish to drop her a PM, or even post a question in this thread. It's only tangentially related, but that tangent has to do with bleaching and colouring hair, so you might find helpful people there, and other people reading that thread may benefit from your question (and the answers). My worry would be that hair bleach is a pretty strong chemical and might not do good things to your skin. Body hair is a lot thinner than scalp hair, generally, so I'm imagining there would be a lot more bleach-to-skin contact. But I don't know what I'm talking about, whereas TTG would. She might be able to advise you about the best (and gentlest) ways to bleach body hair and to care for that hair on the playa once bleached.

P.S. Your idea is brilliant, and I hope you do it! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a hairy playa zebra! :D
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.

moonwookie

Post by moonwookie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:55 pm

The mohawk....now that idea I REALLY like! Heheheheheh.... I do keep my head buzzed super close most of the time (odd combo with the rest, but a lot more comfortable for me), but letting it grow out...watching the transformation....makes me smile just thinking about the boost to my already high-pitched anticipation - and sheesh, the 2013 Burn is over a year away... :D

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:02 pm

I'd go for a moohawk.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

moonwookie

Post by moonwookie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:09 pm

With my salt and pepper hair, that's probably what it will look like anyway...:)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Bleach it all and be a notyeti?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:02 pm

Color it all green or pink, now that would be something.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:08 am

Jackass wrote:Color it all green or pink, now that would be something.
Green and pink...never mind the bullocks, you know.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

moonwookie

Post by moonwookie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:25 am

Hmmmm....all white Yeti can be done. I'm already planning on decorating my tent with a forest theme, so I COULD be the original Green Man...

This is what I need - ideas pinging and zinging around the brain pans of creative people... I have over a year - I'm sure many more will pop up.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:43 am

moonwookie wrote:Hmmmm....all white Yeti can be done. I'm already planning on decorating my tent with a forest theme, so I COULD be the original Green Man...

This is what I need - ideas pinging and zinging around the brain pans of creative people... I have over a year - I'm sure many more will pop up.

I was leaning more towards the incredible hulk...

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:23 pm

Eric wrote:I've seen quite a few creative uses of body hair out there. Just remember that if you're not used to shaving, you might itch as it starts to grow back in. Bring something to soothe the transition back to hairy...

Also- strong sunblock. Them bits aren't used to direct sun.

If you shave stripes in it, let it get some sun for a couple of days then shave all of it off and rock the sunburnt stripes the rest of the time. Seen some dude last year that shaved his head to recreate the cul-de-sac hair-do aka clown hair (careful what you wish for).
hunter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cristaewb
Burning Since: 2012

Post by cristaewb » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:33 pm

If you do bleach it or dye it, you could use the "Betty" products : http://www.bettybeauty.com/fun.php they are actually meant to be used on pubic hair so they are super gentle (almost typed genital! ha!) Some of them even come with stencils, when they first came out I was trying to convince my husband to put a pink heart in his chest hair, sadly it never happened. But, i bet they would work perfect for you :) Where do you live? I bet you could find a salon in your area willing to help you out for a nominal fee.

moonwookie

Post by moonwookie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Hmmm...it is very amusing for me to read the "testimonials" (and dig the ancient roots of that word!) and they all seem to center around erasing the signs of age - dyeing out your grey. I just reject the concept. I'm not trying to hide the natural me, just give it a touch of style...:) This zebra will be 45 when he Burns...

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Kelly

Post by Elderberry » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:01 pm

cristaewb wrote:If you do bleach it or dye it, you could use the "Betty" products : http://www.bettybeauty.com/fun.php they are actually meant to be used on pubic hair so they are super gentle (almost typed genital! ha!) Some of them even come with stencils, when they first came out I was trying to convince my husband to put a pink heart in his chest hair, sadly it never happened. But, i bet they would work perfect for you :) Where do you live? I bet you could find a salon in your area willing to help you out for a nominal fee.
Why would you want a nominal fee for helping a guy out?
Elderberry

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”