Playa gift ideas

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
karabrugger

First Year Gifting

Post by karabrugger » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm

It will be our first burn. As for gifting something, we're really only taking extra water to give the human carcass wash an extra 10 gallons or so and then water for those in need passing buy.

Good idea? Bad idea? What do you think?
Kara Brugger

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:12 pm

magmagirl wrote:I was thinking about gifting some geological knowledge. I'm a geologist, and when geologists go on field trips, there is usually some type of field trip guide involved. The geologic history of the region is fascinating (at least I think so), so I was thinking about making up a little Black Rock field trip guide, just a brief geological history and perhaps some locations with especially cool geologic features in the region that people might want to check out on their way out, or on their way in in the future. Do you think anyone would like/appreciate this?
Booby Bar, in Terminal City. I want one.
You might also want to trade geo stories with a fellow named Rhino. If you stop by the Black Rock Beacon and ask they may know where he is. Damn, I wish I could remember...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

cablemonkey

Post by cablemonkey » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:44 pm

I like to give away lip balm during the day and lights at night to de-darkwadify the unenlightened.

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Re: Playa gift ideas

Post by TomServo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:47 pm

ibdave wrote:
Indigenous Alien wrote:
My friend's a newbie who claims he doesn't have any artistic skills (not that he needs them) and wants to know what he can gift. I've been once before but thought I'd put it out there. Any ideas?
Eye Contact and a Smile... I know... I know... 8) 8) 8)
Help, with whatever they're doing, is a good gift as well!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:18 pm

TomServo wrote:
ibdave wrote:
Indigenous Alien wrote:
My friend's a newbie who claims he doesn't have any artistic skills (not that he needs them) and wants to know what he can gift. I've been once before but thought I'd put it out there. Any ideas?
Eye Contact and a Smile... I know... I know... 8) 8) 8)
Help, with whatever they're doing, is a good gift as well!
That with a cold drink while offering that hand to help. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Mercedese

Post by Mercedese » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:50 pm

I give out hand crafted necklaces which are very beautiful. People always seem amazed that I am giving them a gift just because I can and want to.... My first year at Burning Man, a lot of really wonderful people gifted me with some really lovely things just because they could.... This year, my 4th year at Burning Man, my propane tank handle broke on my barbecue and we were about to just give up and go home because we had no way to cook our food... A beautiful man named "Noodle" gave us a fresh barbecue tank and told us to just use what we needed and then give it back to him at the end of the Burn..... only at Burning Man are you gifted with such love and consideration from your fellow humans.... "Noodle" was given one of my necklaces prior to this... what goes around, comes around, love keeps giving and giving, or so I believe.
Last edited by Mercedese on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mercedese

Post by Mercedese » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 am

If you are looking for ideas that are not artistic... here are some gifts that have made my life easier and happier at Burning Man and a few that I have given out as well.

Chapsticks/lip balm in any flavor...

The offer of sunscreen application... Colored sunscreen is particularly fun!

A cold string cheese individual service size stick... These taste awesome!

Carry a portable mister and then spray people to cool off. The gift of watery spray... very appreciated!

Small bottles of alcohol... one shots, like you used to get on the airplane. You throw the bottles in a bag and have the person randomly pull out their shot. Suprise!

A footwashing station... you provide them with a fresh pair of socks and let them wash their feet in a big bucket of water... I always have vaseline for their feet and neosporin in case they have playa foot... I provide a chair for them to sit in and washing rags.. They do the washing but I provide the station. This is a gift of love and caring and you meet some really nice people.

A cold pear, a slice of cold watermelon or cold cantalope, cold strawberries, cold pineapple chunks on a shish-kebab stick... any cold fruit combo on a shish kebab stick!

One of the ladies on my street one year, walked around in the early evening with a large platter of meat, veggies, crackers and cheese and small plastic glasses of cold wine, balanced on her head... Wow did we love her! Her name was "Sugar Britches" and she was one of the nicest women on the playa!

Small, cold half cans of soda or ice tea.

Shots of Hot Damn 100% Proof Alcohol... This is the best alcohol in the world for curing and clearing playa throat... like Cinnamon fire. Cold Peppermint Snapps works well also.. You can then market your shots as either Fire (Hot Damn) or Ice (Peppermint) for their choosing pleasure.

Some nice wheat crackers and a big bottle of cheese whiz.. You give them a cracker or two and then decorate it with the cheese... You are a personal cheese artist!

If you have ice and spare hankerchiefs, put a few cubes of ice in the hankerchiefs and hand them out to people as an ice face wash. Let them keep the hankerchiefs as face masks or sweat bands for later.

Well those are all the things I can think of. There are many wonderful things to give, but sincerity is the single most important thing... and being friendly.. Almost everyone at Burning Man is there because they love their fellow humankind... so they are receptive to meeting you and experiencing you as a person.

SouthernExposure

Post by SouthernExposure » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:54 am

This was my first physical burn and I had plenty of time to come up with gift ideas and make them.

I made about 20 of the evaporative coolng neckerchiefs using water absorbing crystals and funky cotton fabric from the clearance bin at the fabric store. They worked like a charm in the 0% humidity of the playa.

I also made a 2 piece plaster mold and cast recycled plastic fishing worms into a figure that I called "Burning Rubber Man". Some had copper wires inside so that they became bendable action figures, sort of like Gumby. Although they were plastic, the recipients seemed genuinely grateful. Might be interested in finding out if the Playa Restoration crew found any.

2012!

SE

beachlife

Re:

Post by beachlife » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:00 pm

michelet wrote:A simple gift I received once at just the perfect time was a cinnamon toothpick. Thank you!
I brought these last year, and was astonished how many times I was asked, skeptically, what they were laced with. Being 100% sober 6 of the 8 days it took me a bit to comprehend their apprehension. The toothpicks were pretty awesome, gets pretty gritty up there

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:43 pm

The best gift this year will be helping people ancor thier camps down.

Point at stuff that will blow away and help secure it.

Help. help. help!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Thank you for being awesome, FIGJAM. You will *doubtlessly* prevent some injuries.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:00 pm

I did'nt say I was going to do it!!!

I'll be sitting over here in my helmet watching the show! :twisted:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:05 pm

:lol:

ambird
Burning Since: 2011

Post by ambird » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:16 pm

The best gift we received this year was help from some awesome neighbors as we put up our shade structure in the wind. Last year's weather allowed for just two people to assemble the carport, but support from our community was necessary this year! Everyone was so nice, and it was a great way to get to know each other at the beginning of the week.

I had a ton of great conversations or small interactions with people, and that was when gifts were exchanged. It seems to make a lot more sense to observe what someone might need and help with that, rather than standing somewhere and handing out an item to everyone who walks by. For example, I rode by a girl who was unlit on the open playa and tossed her a blinkie, and I gave a sharpie to a guy who was unsuccessfully looking for a working marker at the Temple. These folks were so grateful to receive thoughtful, needed gifts! We also shared our abundance of water with some Sparkleponies that were camped nearby, and mooped their site when they left it a mess :(

Snow

Re:

Post by Snow » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:28 am

magmagirl wrote:I was thinking about gifting some geological knowledge. I'm a geologist, and when geologists go on field trips, there is usually some type of field trip guide involved. The geologic history of the region is fascinating (at least I think so), so I was thinking about making up a little Black Rock field trip guide, just a brief geological history and perhaps some locations with especially cool geologic features in the region that people might want to check out on their way out, or on their way in in the future. Do you think anyone would like/appreciate this?
hi from a fellow geologist. my parents gave out crystals and fossils we've collected. the are also several geologic talks over the week. one strange pairing was geologists and gynecologists discussing playa dust
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam

9ah
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by 9ah » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 am

Received: Chapstick... Stickers (I'm one of those)... Lighters... Jewelry... A smile

Given: Hugs... Chapstick... Temporary tattoos... Alcohol
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Snow wrote:
hi from a fellow geologist. my parents gave out crystals and fossils we've collected. the are also several geologic talks over the week. one strange pairing was geologists and gynecologists discussing playa dust
Last burn (2012) there were a few Earth Guardian presentations on the geology of Black Rock Desert. Perhaps you should get in touch with this group to see where you fit?? http://earthguardians.net/
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:19 am

Cold pickles are always welcome. (That's what she said).

I'm saving the little, empty honey bears from my work. Any suggestions what I can do with several hundred of them?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 am

Hm. You could (at expense) make hundreds of 2-part resin bears. With glitter or color inside... Maybe with a "man" inside. The bear that ate the man...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

9ah
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by 9ah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:29 am

What size are they? They wouldn't work as ashtrays, but they could be little MOOP containers for ppls packs. Maybe paint them different colors or something.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:36 am

Did they have honey in them before, or are they just surplus bears that have never had honey in them?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 am

if they are squeezable bears, they could be filled will all sorts of things, from edibles to personal hygiene products, or combinations thereof.

stop it!! things like mouthwash and eye wash, or rum.......I know what some of you were thinking!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:51 am

ANYTHING THAT CLIPS, PINS OR STRAPS TO YOUR PERSON, MAKES AN INCREDIBLE GIFT!

Don't let it hit the ground.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:13 pm

I'll be doing the same gifting I do every year. I always bring an extra beer or two wherever I go for thirsty wanderers. I always make a few "Cups on a Necklace" to hand out. I carry a few extra face masks for those who are caught unprepared, and my favorite of all...

I carry my old fashioned Polaroid camera and take/give pictures for groups who would not otherwise have one taken. I have made some great friends this way. Everyone loves a polaroid picture! And you can be sure it won't end up on the net!

The key is to offer something thoughtful, useful and/or just plain fun!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Last year I was gifted a great polaroid pic. The new cameras print out duplicates for everybody. Great gift!!

The bears had honey, they aren't really squeezable. They are hard clear plastic. If they were the kind that had a protruding spout on top I would make bear bongs. I suppose I still could but that's alot of bongs that would end up moop.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Yeah, molds for casting something bear-shaped...
The Lady with a Lamprey

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:26 am

On my first burn I had a guy stop and help me put up my shade structure. I was camping alone, (after dropping off my ride-share guy in Gig's Ville), we were 'early entry' so there weren't a ton of people to help and I will never forget him. It was the perfect gift.

Since then I've made it a point to get off my bike and lend a hand.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Earthwalker
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Post by Earthwalker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:35 pm

(Burgin here)

Just curious if these are stupid ideas:

-lighters
-cigs
-small sanitizer bottles
-wet wipes
-dust masks
-gum
-travel size mouthwash (only if I'm about to kiss them)

Sound reasonable? I just want to ensure I'm contributing. I will be in a camp of awesome people who were kind enough to allow me to join them, even though we've never met in person. My biggest "gift" will be to be an awesome campmate (respectful, help cook, help clean, don't be an ass, etc.). I also plan on doing anything I can to help people who are lost, too drunk, just looking for a friend/companion to walk around with, etc.

Thanks!
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Earthwalker wrote:(Burgin here)

-lighters
-cigs
-small sanitizer bottles
-wet wipes
-dust masks
-gum

Sound reasonable? I just want to ensure I'm contributing. I will be in a camp of awesome people who were kind enough to allow me to join them, even though we've never met in person. My biggest "gift" will be to be an awesome campmate (respectful, help cook, help clean, don't be an ass, etc.). I also plan on doing anything I can to help people who are lost, too drunk, just looking for a friend/companion to walk around with, etc.

Thanks!
Those are all nice. The first three items are probably the ones people will be happiest about. Having little extras of things and keeping your ears and eyes open for people in need is one good way to gift.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Earthwalker wrote:(Burgin here)

-lighters
-cigs
-small sanitizer bottles
-wet wipes
-dust masks
-gum

Thanks!
Those sound fine, but don't go nuts with the amounts. As a virgin, you nailed your biggest gift. Participation. The best gift you can give is to not be too big a burden. I only qualify that because no matter what, except in the super rare case of the stealth virgin, you will absolutely need help. I thought I was prepared last year, and still needed a lot of help. Volunteer, offer drinks and food and have a good time. In many cases your delight and awe will be the best gift you can give some of the more experienced burners.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”