ePlaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
User avatar
Earthwalker
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:16 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:28 am

FIGJAM wrote:You'll have to do better!

We're talkin REAL absinthe, Patron, and other top shelf liquors.

I usually bring "Bag-o-Steak"! 8)


I only had absinthe once but would like to try again. We ordered it online maybe 8 years ago. Poured into glass of ice through a strainer deal with a sugar cube on top. Seemed to be more drunk than normal, but my younger self bought into the "tripping out" theory that it was going to make me hallucinate, and it didn't. Wormwood? I don't know, not my area of expertise.

Fig.. you want some top shelf tequila? I know you'll be helping me figure out your bucket deal in a few weeks, so name your poison and it yee shall have!
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul

User avatar
Dr. Pyro
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:11 am
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro
Location: Newcastle, CA
Contact:

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:13 am

IMHO anybody who does the sugar cube, water, spoon thing with absinthe is a pussy. Straight shots (prefereably ice cold but they certainly don't have to be) are the real ticket. Not to mention a helluva lot simpler.

User avatar
Earthwalker
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:16 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:24 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:IMHO anybody who does the sugar cube, water, spoon thing with absinthe is a pussy. Straight shots (prefereably ice cold but they certainly don't have to be) are the real ticket. Not to mention a helluva lot simpler.


Hahah, awesome. I must have been pussy-footing around then. My cousin ordered it off the internet and that's what they said to do. It wasn't mixed with anything, just poured over sugar into glass with ice.

I'll have to observe and learn. I'll try your absinthe and you can have some tequila that I'll bring. Then we can have a Mexican/Swiss standoff
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul

User avatar
Earthwalker
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:16 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:25 pm

Is it actually supposed to be a hallucinogen via wormwood, or is that just old wive's tale?
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul

voiceinthedarkness
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby voiceinthedarkness » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:IMHO anybody who does the sugar cube, water, spoon thing with absinthe is a pussy. Straight shots (prefereably ice cold but they certainly don't have to be) are the real ticket. Not to mention a helluva lot simpler.


Doc, yer a philistine.

User avatar
Earthwalker
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:16 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:34 pm

Actually he's a potato farmer from Idaho and I am the masked avenger
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 28567
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:IMHO anybody who does the sugar cube, water, spoon thing with absinthe is a pussy. Straight shots (prefereably ice cold but they certainly don't have to be) are the real ticket. Not to mention a helluva lot simpler.


are you also going to say I spread Vagimite on my biscuits?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40296
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Earthwalker wrote:Is it actually supposed to be a hallucinogen via wormwood, or is that just old wive's tale?

I don't know if the properties attributed to absinthe were due to wormwood or crappy 19th century bathtub brewing techniques...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
Earthwalker
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:16 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:43 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Earthwalker wrote:Is it actually supposed to be a hallucinogen via wormwood, or is that just old wive's tale?

I don't know if the properties attributed to absinthe were due to wormwood or crappy 19th century bathtub brewing techniques...


Haha, that's probably more like it. "here, have some absinthe I made in our 4 generation family household's bathtub. We only have one tub so we had to bathe in it while it fermented, but I do feel you will enjoy the hallucinagenic qualities that result from that...oh, and that spoon strainer will also serve to filter out any wayward pubes"

See pyro, the spoon filter DOES serve a purpose.
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul

User avatar
Patsh
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Jerome, Arizona

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Patsh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:57 pm

ygmir wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:IMHO anybody who does the sugar cube, water, spoon thing with absinthe is a pussy. Straight shots (prefereably ice cold but they certainly don't have to be) are the real ticket. Not to mention a helluva lot simpler.


are you also going to say I spread Vagimite on my biscuits?



Vagimite, eh?

I don't think you'll need biscuits with that, Yggy... :wink:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....
.


Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 28567
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Triken wrote:
ygmir wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:IMHO anybody who does the sugar cube, water, spoon thing with absinthe is a pussy. Straight shots (prefereably ice cold but they certainly don't have to be) are the real ticket. Not to mention a helluva lot simpler.


are you also going to say I spread Vagimite on my biscuits?



Vagimite, eh?

I don't think you'll need biscuits with that, Yggy... :wink:


he he he he hehehehee
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
mytripod
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:34 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Paul Revere's Party
Contact:

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby mytripod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:44 pm

I'd love to bring my Paul Revere doll and his convertible to the meet and greet to give some of your doomed barbies a last ride.

User avatar
tattoogoddess
Posts: 2097
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:22 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:21 am

It was thought that thujone was what caused them. But today's research shows that there is such small quantities that it will no promote a visual, in large quantities it will cause muscle crampage. The visuals of the 1900's were from subpar additives into the absinthe to be able to make it cheaper.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

User avatar
Milayna
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:21 pm
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Milayna » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Ahhhh, and the question is answered :) I had my first taste of absinthe at the eplaya meet & greet last year, no sugar, water, and not even cold but it was still pretty delicious!! Thanks to Morrell for that! :)

User avatar
illy dilly
Posts: 4885
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:27 am

For the MnG I think I'm going to make a pan or two of rice crispy treats with either Fruity Pebbles or Trix.
I'm thinking I'll make them at home the week before the burn. Pre cut them into like 1"-2" cubes. Then vacuum seal them.
Since the only thing in the treats that can really spoil is the butter, I'm looking at finding an alternative. Maybe some sort of oil. Also, saw some recipes that use peanut butter. But I'd hate for some with a peanut allergy to get sick.

Another option is, vacuum seal them, then freeze them solid. Which I might try some time over the next few months to see if freezing them gives them a weird texture.
Then Wednesday just pull them out of the cooler and let thaw. Then open and put on a serving plate.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 9680
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Silli illy, kix are for trids!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
VultureChow
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby VultureChow » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:15 pm

illy dilly wrote:For the MnG I think I'm going to make a pan or two of rice crispy treats with either Fruity Pebbles or Trix.
I'm thinking I'll make them at home the week before the burn. Pre cut them into like 1"-2" cubes. Then vacuum seal them.
Since the only thing in the treats that can really spoil is the butter, I'm looking at finding an alternative. Maybe some sort of oil. Also, saw some recipes that use peanut butter. But I'd hate for some with a peanut allergy to get sick.

Another option is, vacuum seal them, then freeze them solid. Which I might try some time over the next few months to see if freezing them gives them a weird texture.
Then Wednesday just pull them out of the cooler and let thaw. Then open and put on a serving plate.


Veggie oil works great.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 11971
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Every time I see the title of this thread, my brain adds an improper emphasis to the word "doing", as in:

Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you DOING? . . . Oh, my God! SOMEONE STOP HER. Get a Ranger! GET ANYONE.
*** 2016 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

User avatar
junglesmacks
Posts: 5816
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Location: Your mom's tent

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

User avatar
illy dilly
Posts: 4885
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:48 pm

VultureChow wrote:
illy dilly wrote:For the MnG I think I'm going to make a pan or two of rice crispy treats with either Fruity Pebbles or Trix.
I'm thinking I'll make them at home the week before the burn. Pre cut them into like 1"-2" cubes. Then vacuum seal them.
Since the only thing in the treats that can really spoil is the butter, I'm looking at finding an alternative. Maybe some sort of oil. Also, saw some recipes that use peanut butter. But I'd hate for some with a peanut allergy to get sick.

Another option is, vacuum seal them, then freeze them solid. Which I might try some time over the next few months to see if freezing them gives them a weird texture.
Then Wednesday just pull them out of the cooler and let thaw. Then open and put on a serving plate.


Veggie oil works great.

The Veggie Oil wouldn't spoil either right?
Since it just sits in a bottle in the cabinet, I figure it must not spoil. If that's the case, then refrigerating wouldn't be necessary at all?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

User avatar
MacGlenver
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:11 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Rice crispy treats never spoil, regardless of ingredients or packaging.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

User avatar
VultureChow
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby VultureChow » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:53 pm

illy dilly wrote:
VultureChow wrote:
illy dilly wrote:For the MnG I think I'm going to make a pan or two of rice crispy treats with either Fruity Pebbles or Trix.
I'm thinking I'll make them at home the week before the burn. Pre cut them into like 1"-2" cubes. Then vacuum seal them.
Since the only thing in the treats that can really spoil is the butter, I'm looking at finding an alternative. Maybe some sort of oil. Also, saw some recipes that use peanut butter. But I'd hate for some with a peanut allergy to get sick.

Another option is, vacuum seal them, then freeze them solid. Which I might try some time over the next few months to see if freezing them gives them a weird texture.
Then Wednesday just pull them out of the cooler and let thaw. Then open and put on a serving plate.


Veggie oil works great.

The Veggie Oil wouldn't spoil either right?
Since it just sits in a bottle in the cabinet, I figure it must not spoil. If that's the case, then refrigerating wouldn't be necessary at all?


Veggie oil will eventually go rancid, but we're talking on the order of months, not days or weeks. And it's more of a flavor thing than food safety. I'd still keep it in a less than sweltering space, but it could probably stay fine at room temperature.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!

User avatar
illy dilly
Posts: 4885
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Sweet! Rice Crispy treats it is!
I'll still try freezing some just to see how they taste when they thaw... Purely for science! I will not eat an entire pan of rice crispy treats.

MacGlenver wrote:Rice crispy treats never spoil, regardless of ingredients or packaging.

You don't think the butter in them will get nasty if they're not refrigerated for 5 days?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

User avatar
Patsh
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Jerome, Arizona

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Patsh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:22 pm

illy dilly wrote:Sweet! Rice Crispy treats it is!
I'll still try freezing some just to see how they taste when they thaw... Purely for science! I will not eat an entire pan of rice crispy treats.

MacGlenver wrote:Rice crispy treats never spoil, regardless of ingredients or packaging.

You don't think the butter in them will get nasty if they're not refrigerated for 5 days?



Then again, you could make them with butter, NOT freeze them, but keep them refrigerated 'til you leave for the Playa, stick them in your cooler (well sealed) until Wednesday, and if there are any left by Wednesday, take them to the M&G. Butter is unsurpassed by any oil for the proper flavour for rice crispy treats!

"for the proper... for rice...."
sending immediately to the Redundant Department of Redundancy Department.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....
.


Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 11971
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Triken wrote:
illy dilly wrote:Sweet! Rice Crispy treats it is!
I'll still try freezing some just to see how they taste when they thaw... Purely for science! I will not eat an entire pan of rice crispy treats.

MacGlenver wrote:Rice crispy treats never spoil, regardless of ingredients or packaging.

You don't think the butter in them will get nasty if they're not refrigerated for 5 days?



Then again, you could make them with butter, NOT freeze them, but keep them refrigerated 'til you leave for the Playa, stick them in your cooler (well sealed) until Wednesday, and if there are any left by Wednesday, take them to the M&G. Butter is unsurpassed by any oil for the proper flavour for rice crispy treats!

"for the proper... for rice...."
sending immediately to the Redundant Department of Redundancy Department.


I think this is what I would try--keeping 'em reasonably cool and wrapped tight.
*** 2016 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 28567
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:10 pm

Savannah wrote:Every time I see the title of this thread, my brain adds an improper emphasis to the word "doing", as in:

Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you DOING? . . . Oh, my God! SOMEONE STOP HER. Get a Ranger! GET ANYONE.


as if..........anyone, would say that. c'mon, worst case we'd point and laugh., or form a circle of protection/admiration.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 9680
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:17 am

It ought to be on the back of the ticket! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
MacGlenver
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:11 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby MacGlenver » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:28 pm

illy dilly wrote:
MacGlenver wrote:Rice crispy treats never spoil, regardless of ingredients or packaging.

You don't think the butter in them will get nasty if they're not refrigerated for 5 days?


I was kidding. By my standards, almost nothing goes bad. I suspect 5 days in the heat will not be great for them. Listen to everyone but me :)
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

User avatar
Elorrum
Posts: 5303
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket
Location: Reno

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Elorrum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Triken wrote:"for the proper... for rice...."
sending immediately to the Redundant Department of Redundancy Department.

Here is a supplementary bulletin from the Office of Fluctuation Control, Bureau of Edible Condiments, Soluble and Indigestible Fats and Glutinous Derivatives, Washington, D.C.:

Correction of Directive #943456201, issued a while back concerning the fixed price of groundhog meat. In the directive above named, the quotation on groundhog meat should read “ground hogmeat.”
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.
In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo. - T.S. Elliot

User avatar
Patsh
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Jerome, Arizona

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Patsh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Elorrum wrote:
Triken wrote:"for the proper... for rice...."
sending immediately to the Redundant Department of Redundancy Department.

Here is a supplementary bulletin from the Office of Fluctuation Control, Bureau of Edible Condiments, Soluble and Indigestible Fats and Glutinous Derivatives, Washington, D.C.:

Correction of Directive #943456201, issued a while back concerning the fixed price of groundhog meat. In the directive above named, the quotation on groundhog meat should read “ground hogmeat.”



hehehee...

8)
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....
.


Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture


Return to “2013 Theme Camps”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests