One Item for BMan 2013 a Day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Eyeballs third...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:27 am

Picked up some more el wire and a folding camping nonstick frypan.
I will be trying out the pan before it makes a journey to the playa! Made the mistake of bringing a supposed nonstick griddle with this year and it was awful to clean up!
Also going to try out a one burner propane stove to see if it can take the place of the bigger double burner stove I brought with. While we were in the exodus line for 8 hours we ate the stuff that was easily accessable which were snack foods.
A couple in a car near us got out their single burner stove and heated water for cup o soups, what a great idea! We had a whole bag of those and the stove was well buried in the back of the truck!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:45 am

The Coleman none stick fry pan w/folding handle was crap.. I scratched with nylon tools..

I went with porcelain (glass) this year.. It worked good.. Damaged one from stacking.. Put a tissue between stopped that.. Used much lower heat to cook.
I use (2) one burner hiker stoves..

Need a wind shield so the heat go's up for 2014..

Martiansky

Post by Martiansky » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:57 am

unjonharley wrote:The Coleman none stick fry pan w/folding handle was crap.. I scratched with nylon tools....
:shock: :(

Thanks for the heads up Unjon. I bought a new kind of cooking spray and will for sure try both at home before bringing it with.
Probably pick up a ceramic coated aluminum pan as back up.
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks for reminding me. I need a wind screen too. I use a butane stove. One burner. Very light and I love it but I only heat water and soup.

Last night I found a stack of short, plastic crates, (7-up), on a freeway on-ramp. When a truck made the curve I guess some of his crates toppled off. These are about 6 or 8 inches tall and PERFECT for under the ice chests. They nest together so nicely I'll get rid of the ones I have. SCORE!
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

bedlamdoll
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: BRC Hardware

Post by bedlamdoll » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:23 am

I made my first specifically-for-Burning-Man purchase last night and picked myself up a pair of tinted goggles. I'm oddly giddy about that, because I'm a dork. Other than that, I've been working on my research, making up lists, and planning out when I need to be picking specific things up over the next year (easier for me to budget that way).

I've also started planning out some costume pieces I want to do, but I have to finish the stuff I need for a steampunk convention I'm doing in October first.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Post by danibel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 am

unjonharley wrote:The Coleman none stick fry pan w/folding handle was crap.. I scratched with nylon tools..

I went with porcelain (glass) this year.. It worked good.. Damaged one from stacking.. Put a tissue between stopped that.. Used much lower heat to cook.
I use (2) one burner hiker stoves..
I like cast iron. I know a lot of people avoid them because they think they are hard to clean, but a well seasoned cast iron is just as easy to clean as a non-stick. Just never use soap and have some steel wool in your kitchen gear in case it needs a scrub. Also - to quick dry one (they can rust!) put it back on the heat for a few minutes and "cook" the water off. Don't walk away though, you may come back to a smoking hot pan! Also, I am careful to never leave it out for another campmate to wash. Most people do not know how to care for them and they soap it up and ruin the seasoning. Doh!

Porcelain sounds intriguing. I would worry about breaking the damn thing though. I use a porcelain coffee drip at home, plastic when camping. I will have check out these glass skillets....
In dust we trust.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:49 am

We have good cast iron skillets, but they never go to the playa. Even MyLarry, who should know better, soaks them and scrubs them too much and ruins the seasoning.

I wipe/rinse mine out. No soaking!!!! I use a green meanie to get the crusty bits. Very hot water, as hot as I can stand. Then heat on the stove to dry, add oil, spread it around (I use tongs and papertowels), set the pans on low until the oil doesn't really wipe out. A couple times a year, I oil them and bake them at super-low heat for an hour or so.

Mostly I don't take any cast iron because yeah, other people.

Martiansky

Post by Martiansky » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:55 am

bedlamdoll wrote:I made my first specifically-for-Burning-Man purchase last night and picked myself up a pair of tinted goggles. I'm oddly giddy about that, because I'm a dork. Other than that, I've been working on my research, making up lists, and planning out when I need to be picking specific things up over the next year (easier for me to budget that way).

I've also started planning out some costume pieces I want to do, but I have to finish the stuff I need for a steampunk convention I'm doing in October first.
Greetings, Bedlamdoll!
Imma dork too so don't worry! :D
Your steampunk costume sounds great and a convention to boot!

danibel
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Post by danibel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:11 pm

AntiM wrote:We have good cast iron skillets, but they never go to the playa. Even MyLarry, who should know better, soaks them and scrubs them too much and ruins the seasoning.

I wipe/rinse mine out. No soaking!!!! I use a green meanie to get the crusty bits. Very hot water, as hot as I can stand. Then heat on the stove to dry, add oil, spread it around (I use tongs and papertowels), set the pans on low until the oil doesn't really wipe out. A couple times a year, I oil them and bake them at super-low heat for an hour or so.

Mostly I don't take any cast iron because yeah, other people.
Yeah. Other people. But they are so great to cook with! They heat up so nice and are easy to clean... sigh. I will have to find a green meanie. I have not ever heard of that before. I just have a special steel wool piece that never gets soap and is only for my cast iron.

I am low in iron. Always have been. So the doc said to cook in cast iron as much as possible. And I do! :D
In dust we trust.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Green scouring pad made by Scotch-Brite, also available as generic.

Or the eplaya mods. But we don't do dishes.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:09 pm

I use those green pads when sanding lacquer coats.

I have cast iron.. I has been put away for years.. We have a glass top stove at home.

AzJames

Post by AzJames » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Yahoo! Just finished washing off and patching up the last tarp I used as ground cover! :D Now onto upgrades for my Dome (better cover and lighting). I did rebuild a bucket cooler a few days ago, works great now.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:35 pm

I cook it in the can....

Anyway, this weekend for my birthday a lady musician I know invited me to see a band then get a lap dance at the Condor Club in SF, a famous landmark complete with the piano that killed a man...look it up kids. Anyway, my friend knows some girls there so one came over and sat by me. We got to talking, turns out her camp was set up a couple blocks from mine. She gets out her iphone and shows me photos of her camp and bus. Never do get that lapdance...

This weekend I made a new playa contact.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:51 pm

I now have 2 of those plastic chest of drawers. One for the van one one for the tent. It worked out great to have stuff contained in drawers this year. Labeled and easy to find. Sooooooooo...I have a drawer for lights, toiletries, tank tops & vests, shorts and lightweight pants, bras & panties, socks etc... Plus now I have even more drawers. They are almost packed now except for the socks that I wear everyday. New year I will be so ready.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:27 am

We tried the drawers one year, but they don't work very well in our carport set up. It was one of the dusty years, it wasn't in our tent, and the drawers are not at all dustproof. But I use it for art supplies and paint now, so it is all good.

We have a cheap greenhouse to hold our food, like a pantry. Much easier than digging through the bins each time.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 am

Signed a contract on a hefty grant to start the tradition of nightly lamplighting processions at my regional. Now it's time to make purchases and get creating art!
:D :D :D
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Was very pleased with the triple drawer system myself this year for toiletries and towels and kleenex, etc but yeah, they're not dustproof. Very nice inside a tent, though. Used a wooden tv tray as usual to hold a lantern and swag bowl, and shoved a mesh wastebasket underneath.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:59 pm

TV tray!! Great idea. I don't sleep in there but I bathe and dress in the tent. I burnt a small hole in my precious tent with the lantern. That's what happens when you set your lantern on a bin too close to the fabric. By the time I get it right, it will look like home. that's OK. My home looks like Pee Wees playhouse.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Deplayafication's a thing for Burning Man, right? Injuries, urgent projects, and other assorted curveballs have me behind my normal schedule for going through everything post-event, so I'm still slogging through. Today I finished going through all the tool bins, got everything cleaned and put away....huzzah! I'm glad I got that one done, it would have been fairly easy for me to let that slide and then just have to dig around a few flip-top bins as well as our big red tool cart whenever I needed something. This will make it much easier for us to find stuff when working on other projects in the months ahead, plus gets my head around the stuff that went missing or needs to be replaced.

I also got through 3-4 bins of other stuff. Washed, cleaned, sorted, put away.. w00t.

I made a few notes to add to our lists for next year.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:49 pm

trilobyte wrote:Deplayafication's a thing for Burning Man, right?
I hope so! I'm feeling pretty chuffed to have cleaned and put away my bins and washed all my clothes.

I do have the playa coat left to wash, but it's huge and needs to be done thoroughly & by hand and dried flat, so that'll be a special challenge. And my beloved boots need some hard work put into them.
I made a few notes to add to our lists for next year.
*scribble*
*scribble*

"Avoid . . . 9 o'clock . . . portal." :wink:

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:37 pm

I got my tophats and playa boots done the other day, they look good as new again (well, the boots have some dried paint on part of 'em and some scuffs and scratches "battle damage" spots, but otherwise don't look like they've ever been to the playa). Dr. Marten's Wonder Balm to the rescue :)

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 pm

trilobyte wrote:...my tophats...
Note the plural, folks. In trilobyte we truly have the very model of a modern burner-gentleman.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:43 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:
Note the plural, folks. In trilobyte we truly have the model of a modern burner gentleman.
I enjoyed the plural, too. :lol:

strange love
Burning Since: 2011

Post by strange love » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:04 am

I ordered a bullhorn! Gonna use it to heckle land grabbing yellow tape camps who end up not using 50% of the space they hog.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:42 am

BoyScoutGirl wrote:
Note the plural, folks. In trilobyte we truly have the very model of a modern burner-gentleman.
Does he have information animal, vegetable and flammable?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:31 pm

I would also love a bullhorn. I can think of several uses. Maybe it deserves a thread of it's own. "If I had a bullhorn at Burning Man...."

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:26 am

If I had a bullhorn, I'd annoy them in the morning, I'd annoy them in the evening, all over this town
I'd yell out fire, I'd yell out wake up, I'd yell out let's all get together and burn and blow up shit all over this town

(work in progress...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:45 am

theCryptofishist wrote:If I had a bullhorn, I'd annoy them in the morning, I'd annoy them in the evening, all over this town
I'd yell out fire, I'd yell out wake up, I'd yell out let's all get together and burn and blow up shit all over this town

(work in progress...)

When I catch them squatting on the open playa???
I will annoy the piss out of them. all over this town

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:05 am

Crypto, My husband and I sang it. Well done. Take a bow.....

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”