Details on the placement process?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Details on the placement process?

Post by FossaFerox » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:22 am

Can anyone shed some light on the placement questionnaire and what follows? My camp will likely be registering as a theme camp this year assuming I can engineer, design, and build the interactive display that I want to share with the playa. With that, I've already started sinking a ton of time (and money) into the project, and I have a few worries/concerns that I can't find answers to.

First, I'll definitely need early access for at least me and one other person in my camp, but preferably a group of 5-8. Though not very large the project is painfully intricate. How many people in the camp can you typically get in early and what determines how early?

My other big concern is on the placement itself. My camp got crazy lucky this past year, and while I'm not expecting to receive placement that amazing, my campmates are pretty adamant about at least being in the same general section of the city. How much input do you have on where your camp ends up, and how much can a new theme camp actually expect to have their requests honored? I know existing camps tend to get seniority after all...

Beyond that, when it comes to them making decisions on who to place where, how much opportunity are you given to explain what you're offering? I'm really nervous that whoever reviews the questionnaire won't understand what my group is doing (it's never been done) and won't appreciate how absurdly amazing it can be. It's probably senseless worry, but I'll be super bummed if I invest a few hundred hours (and a thousand dollars of my camp's money) and end up getting placed somewhere no one will ever see it...
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Details on the placement process?

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:19 am

Consider registering as a piece of placed art.
Early entry... fuck, I hate talking about early entry. My guess is that having placed art would get you more early entry, but whatever you try, they are trying to keep the number down as low as possible. You may end up doing the fine tuning on Monday when the rest of your group gets in.
You can request what area of the city you are in. You can request to be near up to three camps, iirc. They may or may not grant it, depending on what they are trying to accomplish.
Your work has been done*, and the people who place art and camps have a lot of experience in reading the applications and understanding what that means in real terms.

*(There is nothing new under the sun.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:56 pm

There are hundreds of such requests, and it helps a lot if you've previously demonstrated the ability to actually build and bring something to the playa, or involvement in some other project, etc. There are just too many empty promises made from individuals and camps that just don't deliver, and too many people wanting special access for something that really doesn't require it.

Brush up on your writing skills. Provide pictures, videos, diagrams, details, bills of materials, itemized lists, funding sources, schedules, and everything else to "sell" the proposal in the questionnaire. If the readers don't appreciate how "absurdly amazing" this project (like every other one) is, then you haven't conveyed it correctly. Beyond that, be prepared to not get what you want, no matter how "adamant" you are about it. Placement will place the art where it fits, but you do have input on it, and they try to accommodate requests.

Expect that you won't get what you're granted, and have a contingency plan for that case too. Maybe you'll just have to set it up in whatever camp spot you happen to find when you arrive on Monday. Perhaps by doing so you'll demonstrate for the following year that you can deliver on the promises, even in sub-ideal conditions.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:43 pm

I plan on having the interactive portion built by the application deadline. If I can submit video that should do the trick, though playing with it yourself is far more entertaining than watching someone else do it. What I'd really love is a chance just to speak briefly to the placement coordinator when the time comes to make sure they understand the appeal. As for its newness, I can almost guarantee it's never been done on the playa.

What I'm bringing is very rarely seen even in the default world. The stuff is expensive and difficult to acquire. It requires some rather clever chemistry to make it behave to the point where I had to dig into university research papers to get the desired result.

The display should be sufficient to entertain 11-16 people (5-9 active participants, with space for people to gawk up close) at a time and will be usable around the clock, though it will be VERY easy to overlook if it's completely out of the way. At the moment the interactive portion has a pretty small footprint (4'x4') that people would gather around.

Placement on the playa is less than ideal as I will need to swap out the 12v batteries, clean the dust off the display, and perform other regular maintenance. Plus, we want it nearby since my camp members all want to play with it. They've insisted I at least bring some for us to play with even if we decide not to build out a display for other people to discover. The stuff is FUN.

But yeah, we need to build a lot of it on site. We can't transport the intricate portions assembled. They need to be disassembled and rebuilt on the playa and we don't want to handle chemicals in a rush. ;)
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:48 pm

BBadger seems a tad pessimistic, to me. But it is good to keep expectations realistic.

My experience is from 2007, but I have not heard of any dramatic changes.

First of all, to get this out of the way, some applications have indeed been rejected. I heard about something like 200 rejections a couple of years ago. Of course, there are something on the order of 1,000 approved ones. They assign only so much acreage to this purpose. Yes, some people will always take a shot at a guaranteed spot “up front” without offering much, or simply run out of ability. Sounds like you shouldn’t need to worry about that.

Early Arrival will be on a case-by-case basis. We had no trouble receiving enough Early Arrival Passes for our camp. You would probably want to give them a thorough and realistic schedule for camp and art setup.

Come to think of it, they will "insist" that you have some Early Arrivals, because Registered Theme Camps are required to be up and running on Opening Day.

I gave them pretty good documentation on our interactive art, including photos of the interactive items. It seems that such plans and other documentation had a significant effect on our placed location, since we were given a better spot than I asked for! And it was even our first year.

They give you detailed instructions on what you need to provide. For example, you will need to draw a map of the camp, with dimensions on everything. Hand-drawn was OK (in 2007, at least), but they like Google Sketchup.

You can probably expect to be placed in the general area you ask for, but not the exact spot, and not exact size. The Placers work right up to – and even thru – Event Opening Day, shuffling every square foot to best overall advantage.

You will be assigned your location weeks before the event, but…. Some camps suddenly discover they must have a bit more space for their project to fit, and some cannot fill the space they were originally assigned. Normal human stuff. So you must be prepared to be somewhat flexible. Our Placer was fabulously skilled and helpful.

The questionnaire will ask you to list two or three desired locations, in order of your preference. You can also list other camps that you wish to be next to. (Still, from 2007, but….)

There seemed to be no limit on the opportunity to “sell” ourselves. That said…. You and I both enjoy typing. We need to keep it short and sweet.

Others will have more current and detailed experience.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:30 pm

FossaFerox wrote:What I'd really love is a chance just to speak briefly to the placement coordinator when the time comes to make sure they understand the appeal.
Not gonna happen. There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of camps applying, and if one camp gets to speak to Placement, all camps are going to want to, which will just add hundreds of hours of work to their already enormous pile. Like the people above have said - have a detailed proposal, and if you have your interactive piece ready when the questionnaires are due, include a video. Use that video to sell it, just like you would if you were talking to someone.

Have a back up plan if you don't get placement. There are a limited number of camps that get it, and there are way more than that number that apply. Make sure your camp is offering more than your super-cool thing that is only 4x4' and can only accommodate 5-6 people at a time. Give them as many reasons to want to give you placement as possible.

Our camp has been on the playa since the mid 90's, and even though we've gotten placed every year, some of those years we've gotten shit placement. The placers are dealing with a lot of variables, and you have to realize that they are trying to do the best they can with the space they have. If you get placed, no matter where it is, rock the shit out of that space. Make yourself visible, interactive, and amazing, even if you aren't in your dream spot. The placers go around & look at what camps are doing, and if you're bringing your "A-game" no matter what, it will get noticed and you'll get better placement in following years.

If it's not worth it to you to do your project without guaranteed placement, scrap it now. If your project is so damn cool that you have to build it, placement be damned if necessary, then build it and let placement shake out however it does. Get something good & ready to video by the spring, and impress the hell out of the placement team.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

CaffeineGirl
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Post by CaffeineGirl » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:24 pm

What Eric said.

And keep in mind - it is part of every theme camp's and village's drama that none of them (well, except for maybe First Camp...) know prior to July if they will be placed, where they will be placed, or how many early entry passes will be allocated. And longevity does not guarantee placement - even Hushville lost out one year. If everyone held off on their camp projects until all of those items were known, nothing would get worked on until maybe the end of July.

Since theme camps are supposed to be up and running by Monday, early entry passes are a part of the theme camp process and the application includes a spot to list the number requested. Most camps I have talked to got their requested number, unless it is something really out of whack like 100 passes to install a phone booth. Wednesday pre-event is the usual first date that theme camps can arrive; very complex camps and art installations are of course earlier.

You can up your chances by showing an art piece that is actually built and working, and providing a clearly detailed and dimensioned camp plan that shows efficient use of space for both camp members and your interactivities. In describing your camp, do not get carried away with hyperbole that will make the placers eyes glaze over. The placement questionnaire does allow you to request general areas, and your camp plan can show what streets you would hope to be placed on.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:40 pm

CaffeineGirl wrote:And keep in mind - it is part of every theme camp's and village's drama that none of them (well, except for maybe First Camp...) know prior to July if they will be placed, where they will be placed, or how many early entry passes will be allocated.
This is a biggie. Once the window for filling out questionnaires closes, you've got 3+ months before you find out if you've been placed, and where. This short thread from earlier this year has some great pointers about filling it out, and will give you a better idea of what the placers are looking for.

You've got until probably Feb before they even open the Placement questionnaires. I don't know if it's intentional on your part, but I pick up a worry about spending the money to build your Really Cool Thing if you're not going to get placement. This is the point where you & your camp-mates have to decide if it's worth doing just because the Thing really is that cool, or if you step away from it . Personally, I'm hoping you go for it, because the best stuff comes from that deep-seated insanity that resides in most artists and drives them to create, and I'd love to see what you come up with.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:14 am

Even the village of Hushville did not get placed one year, until last minute, after appeals. Now Hushville looks for good interactive camps (without generators or sound) to anchor the streetside properties. Don't overlook villages as alternatives, as individual camps within the villages ebb and flow, there may be an opening for a new interactive camp.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:20 am

+1 to a lot of what's been said above.

You and your campmates will get a peek at the questionnaire starting sometime between late February and early March. The form is typically open until the last week of April for submissions - you'll have plenty of time to see exactly what it says (it does change from year to year) and think about what you enter.

There are typically several places where you can describe different aspects of your camp in your own words. While there are limits to prevent you from submitting a novel, there's generally plenty of room to be descriptive about what you're trying to do. There are also places to get descriptive about your camp's interactivity and leave no trace/cleanup plans. There are also places to specify your requested camp size and your first three choices of where you'd like to be placed, as well as your early arrival requests. If a camp is able to be placed, the placement team does their best to accommodate reasonable requests. There's good information to be had on the Theme Camp Resource Guide, as well as this thread with tips on filling out a successful theme camp questionnaire (tips given by a member of the placement team).

Yes, you could enter a URL to a web site or video in a questionnaire response field, but it's in your best interests to use your words to answer the question, then offer the link as additional info, and not in place of answering the question in the space provided.

Whether you submit your questionnaire on the day they open up or right under the wire before they close at the end of April, as others mentioned you won't learn where, or even whether your camp will be placed until early July.

Yes, everybody wants/wishes/needs to get placement info sooner. Yes, everybody wants/wishes/needs to find out if they'll be placed or not sooner. Yes, everyone wants/wishes/needs to know if they'll get early arrivals sooner. Yes, everyone involved has a lot of time, effort, and money invested in their project. But that's the timeframe you get - it takes the placement team that long to read through and carefully consider all the questionnaires they receive (last year it was more than 1,000).

You can either hold off on making travel plans or significant capital expenditures until you hear whether you're placed or not, or you can bet on yourselves and start making plans and building things sooner (like many other camps do). If it's crucial that you work out as much of your planning as early as possible, then invest some time in your contingency plan - what do you do if you're not placed and do not get early arrival. If you're all driving and coming from the same city, it could just mean that the caravan schedule slips by a day or two - but if not it could mean those flying in spend a couple days in Reno or you'll face some other logistical hurdles.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:31 am

FossaFerox, can this Really Cool Thing be put on wheels? Then you could pull it out to the man-side of Esplanade, and back to camp, at will. Since it is so small, a few humans may be able to pull it, and you would not need to register such a cart in any way.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:10 am

Elliot wrote:FossaFerox, can this Really Cool Thing be put on wheels? Then you could pull it out to the man-side of Esplanade, and back to camp, at will. Since it is so small, a few humans may be able to pull it, and you would not need to register such a cart in any way.
Trust Elliot to be thinking with wheels! :)

I really like his suggestion if it's possible for you. The serendipity of running into something amazing when coming back from deep playa or "just taking a quick trip off the Esplanade to check out that knot of people" is one of my favorite parts of the burn. You don't need a line out the door to impact lots of people positively and with wheels you can make your own placement. Also, think about the quest people will go on: "Oh, man, I did this amazing thing on this cart underneath that naked man statue - you've got to go find it!"
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:41 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:...

Trust Elliot to be thinking with wheels! :)

I really like his suggestion if it's possible for you. The serendipity of running into something amazing when coming back from deep playa or "just taking a quick trip off the Esplanade to check out that knot of people" is one of my favorite parts of the burn. You don't need a line out the door to impact lots of people positively and with wheels you can make your own placement. Also, think about the quest people will go on: "Oh, man, I did this amazing thing on this cart underneath that naked man statue - you've got to go find it!"
*trying desperately not to make a wisecrack* :twisted:

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

I do kind of like the idea of putting it on wheels, but I'm not sure how I'd go about making that happen. Pre-built dolly frames that seem large enough and able to handle the playa surface seem to run in the $600 neighborhood which would mean we'd have to kickstart some funding (something I was planning on avoiding at all costs). Do you have any recommendations on where to pick up wheels/axels/mounting hardware to make a few hundred pounds of display mobile? As an added bonus, how would I go about locking it up to make sure it doesn't wander off if we leave it outside for people to enjoy?

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:42 pm

FossaFerox wrote:As an added bonus, how would I go about locking it up to make sure it doesn't wander off if we leave it outside for people to enjoy?
That part is easy - it only goes out with a dedicated team who stays with it. Figure the team you'd need to roll it to the Inner Playa, and you have a team set to watch it.

As for the wheels, there are many here way above my abilities, but my first thought is wondering if it's possible to to mount it to some sort of trike. It certainly would make the process of rolling it out & back easier.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:06 pm

If we go with the small version (4'x4') i need every inch to be approachable so having it mounted on a vehicle isn't really an option. I looked into dolly frames and trailers but the heavy duty ones with tires that would work on the playa are pretty expensive.

And yes, we would watch it while it was in the inner playa, but when we're out partying I'd want to still leave it out front of our camp for people to discover, even if we end up in the middle of nowhere. For that I need some way to lock it in place which doesn't seem easy with a dolly or trailer setup.

CaffeineGirl
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Post by CaffeineGirl » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Just for ideas, attached a photo of my husbands mobile art piece. The trailer is home made, and the only trailer parts with much significant cost (at least so he tells me) were the tires. It can be moved manually, or behind a non-mutated vehicle. If a MV is used, they must be registered together.
P1040537.JPG
P1040537.JPG (35.17 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
When stored in camp, we use a cable through the tires attached to posts, with a heavy duty lock.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Eric is not so lost; three wheels will roll easier than four. The tradeoff is stability while in motion.

For stability while in use, you would install jacks at all four corners.

For approachability, you would build the dolly/trailer with the wheels underneath. And any draw bar would be detachable. Of course, the jacks would also be underneath.

It could be made to be highway towable, if necessary, but that would be more expensive.

I moved a 600 pound piano around on the Playa on inexpensive utility cart wheels.

For theft prevention, jack up and remove wheels.

Gotta sleep.... Zzzzzzzzzzzz :lol:

burner von braun

Post by burner von braun » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:03 pm

Not sure of the weight limits we are talking about here, but I'll toss in the notion of one (or more) of those gardening wagons with the big wheels. You might be able to find an inexpensive used one.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Well another thing too is that if you can build it into a mobile state -- sans a mobile platform -- you can also place it when you arrive on Monday on the playa, assuming your camp does not have early placement. In fact, I'd probably design your art project to be mobile like that just so it can be set up and torn down quickly, regardless of your EE access.

Overall, at this point work on your proposal and keep a contingency plan in place in case things don't pan out. It may be that you'll need to have your art piece at your camp. If you can secure a corner spot (even out in the boondocks), it'll make for a great looking corner art piece that will attract a lot of attention. Some of the best art is in the city, set up as unassuming camp projects that really makes the city seem like a crazy bazaar.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:44 pm

BBadger wrote:Well another thing too is that if you can build it into a mobile state -- sans a mobile platform -- you can also place it when you arrive on Monday on the playa, assuming your camp does not have early placement. In fact, I'd probably design your art project to be mobile like that just so it can be set up and torn down quickly, regardless of your EE access.

Overall, at this point work on your proposal and keep a contingency plan in place in case things don't pan out. It may be that you'll need to have your art piece at your camp. If you can secure a corner spot (even out in the boondocks), it'll make for a great looking corner art piece that will attract a lot of attention. Some of the best art is in the city, set up as unassuming camp projects that really makes the city seem like a crazy bazaar.
The issue is I'm going to have a shallow tray of liquid that can't be spilled. It's going to be in a sealed container but if it splashes against the sides it will make it impossible to see/appreciate. Granted this is only one of six planned interactive elements on the project, but it's also the centerpiece. On wheels, moved by hand, it would be manageable (though it would have to be jacked up once in position so jostling doesn't disrupt it). It's not something that can be broken down easily and part of it has to be assembled on site for the same reason.

Here's hoping my EE bid works out. I've already started purchasing materials and I have 3D renders both of our camp and of our interactive element in the works. By the time submissions are due I'll be able to give them a solid idea of what we're bringing. Fingers crossed they deem it worthy. Without EE a big chunk of it will stay at home, though we'll still bring out the bits we can.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:03 am

FossaFerox wrote:The issue is I'm going to have a shallow tray of liquid that can't be spilled. It's going to be in a sealed container but if it splashes against the sides it will make it impossible to see/appreciate.
If it's that fragile, you might want to make sure you have multiple back-ups or a way to clean it. This is the playa we're talking about, the best designed & simplest stuff fails. Something delicate that can't spill... :shock:

Plan failure into your design, and plan how to work around those failures, and figure you're going to have things that have no way of failing fail. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. And make sure we know where you're going to end up, because I'm intrigued.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:23 am

Eric wrote:
FossaFerox wrote:The issue is I'm going to have a shallow tray of liquid that can't be spilled. It's going to be in a sealed container but if it splashes against the sides it will make it impossible to see/appreciate.
If it's that fragile, you might want to make sure you have multiple back-ups or a way to clean it. This is the playa we're talking about, the best designed & simplest stuff fails. Something delicate that can't spill... :shock:

Plan failure into your design, and plan how to work around those failures, and figure you're going to have things that have no way of failing fail. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. And make sure we know where you're going to end up, because I'm intrigued.
It's not like it's going to be full to the brim and the display is going to be over 200 pounds and on a firm base. It would take one hell of a jolt to make the stuff slosh out ordinarily, but if I break the display down to move it? Then extreme care would be required, and the thought of driving in with it is laughable. One brake check later I'd have to reopen it and clean it which is possible, but extremely difficult (it's being sealed for a reason).

Having to open, clean, and reassemble it is more work than simply assembling it once I get there, hence my desire to have EE.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:41 am

Erik, We need to submit our drawings and speculations here. "Guess This Art". It must be electrified and magnetized. I'm picturing a giant acrylic cube with a pan of liquid inside. Everyone surrounds it, joins hands and puts their nose on the plastic. The liquid jumps to life and forms a living bond between the spectators.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:31 am

Well, that "takes care of" putting it on wheels. But it sounds like you have a good case to present to the powers-that-be. You might want to emphasize the numerous levels of containment for you liquid.
I want to see this also!

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:21 am

FossaFerox wrote:It's not like it's going to be full to the brim and the display is going to be over 200 pounds and on a firm base. It would take one hell of a jolt to make the stuff slosh out ordinarily, but if I break the display down to move it? Then extreme care would be required, and the thought of driving in with it is laughable. One brake check later I'd have to reopen it and clean it which is possible, but extremely difficult (it's being sealed for a reason).

Having to open, clean, and reassemble it is more work than simply assembling it once I get there, hence my desire to have EE.
I get the sense that you want to be able to bring/build this project "your way" on your time-table, and in a manner you feel comfortable with. That's really not the way you should be approaching bringing this project. In fact, if these are insurmountable obstacles in bringing such a project to the playa, perhaps you're lacking the experience (but not necessarily skills) to carry through a project like this.

The placement/EE committee will also see this. They grant EE for projects to those that require such access. This means, for example, having to bring in multiple truck-loads of supplies which would otherwise get caught up in traffic during the event. It could also mean large scale labor such as digging and burying cables over long stretches.

From what it sounds like, you can transport whatever your project is, in pieces to the playa for assembly. So if that is possible, you don't need to avoid the queues. If you need time to build the project, questions come up: can you modularize your project? Can you make your project "portable"? If you're bringing a "tank" to pour liquids into anyway, why can't this be done without EE? Is your setup really going to interfere with on-playa operations, or is it more a matter that you just don't want to be doing anything during the burn when it's "your" time?

Maybe you're correct that your project needs to be set up on-playa in a time-frame that only EE will allow. The committee may even agree with this assertion. However, unless you've got other project construction credentials on your resume, you're not considered playa-tested or at least a good gamble. There are hundreds or even thousands of other applicants wanting the exact same thing. Many of these people have proven their ability to bring projects to the playa and have them ready in time for the burn. Perhaps the committee will see your idea as great, but simply too ambitious for a person that they don't know much about. They would rather see you attempt a more reasonable smaller project to demonstrate your project-building capabilities.

Mostly the questions and suggestions we're posing to you are to preemptively address concerns and obstacles you may encounter in bringing this project. Try to keep your project flexible in case your plans don't work out. Perhaps consider a smaller project, or a scaled down version of your original concept. If your smaller project is a success, the committee is very likely to embrace an expansion of your project -- complete with the resources (like time) to carry it out, and maybe even additional funding through grants. Remember that you can still receive playa placement for your art project even if you don't get EE, and they'll even try to work with you if you just haul the thing in and ask them if there's a place you can put it. Depending on the size and entertainment value, it could even be close to esplanade so you don't need to transport things too far and it'll receive a lot of attention (if that's the desire).

Oh yeah, and I appreciate that you're not getting defensive about your project (no, this is not sarcasm). I remember past projects where the author became very defensive when his vision was questioned and he subsequently disappeared. Good luck with your project, and really flesh out your application with details and contingency plans.

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Is EE really all about transport logistics? I was under the impression that it was so that things could be set up and ready at the start of the event. I know that this year things were completely screwed up by the storm and things felt weird (at least to me) with so many people working to finish stuff last minute on Monday.

I could very well spend Monday doing final assembly in whatever space we find, but that would mean that no one would have access to it on the first day. My goal was to have the project live and lit Sunday night for people to enjoy.

Again, I'm looking to have this outside or at least near my camp so I can keep an eye on it and make sure it stays clean and charged (power consumption will change depending on how it's used). In an ideal world we'd end up in a spot similar to the one we had this year, near an intersection somewhere between A and F rings on the late side of the city. This year we managed to snag space at 8:30 and B, which I know we won't see again as a placed camp for at least a few years...

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Fossa, I applaud your goal of having it ready when the gates open, but my own experience is that a lot of folks dont really start "touring" the city until about Tuesday afternoon. The initial after-the-gate vibe is just setting up and acclimating in camp, so if you are forced into a position where you cant deploy for a day or two, dont sweat it. If its up and running by thursday afternoon, then consider it well done. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:46 pm

All you silly people and your time spent resting and acclimating; time is precious! Forget Monday, I was touring the city Sunday night. :lol:

While I acknowledge that I'm a crazy person, I really do want to have it ready to go as soon as possible. Is that really not what EE is about? I saw a ton of camps with EE that didn't require it based on transport logistics. Quite a few of them didn't have anything bigger than the shade structure my camp built last year, and next year's will be even bigger.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:55 pm

I've had friends with early arrival & a proven track record that still hit tons of problems & didn't have their project ready until Thursday, it's not a point of shame. The playa provides multiple ways to wreck even the most carefully planned project, the Powers That Be are aware of that.

So far we've gotten Saturday EE almost every year. We're a simple camp to set up, but they still want us up & running by Gate (dome up & papers out? We're good to go!). It sounds like you could probably survive with the same thing (Sat EE). To make your proposal more interesting to Placement, have more going on in camp than just this one element. Let them know what else your camp offers, even if this is the centerpiece - it really does help with placement to have multiple things going, none of which need to be complex.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”