Have you ever had to miss Burning Man?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
dafydd

Re: Have you ever had to miss Burning Man?

Post by dafydd » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:30 pm

dragonflyannie wrote:Hi everyone!
Has anyone else ever had to miss Burning Man even though they didn't want to? Was it really that bad? I'm picturing myself being home on burn night, painting my pregnant self and running around the house naked because I can't be there!
Just looking for some reassurance that missing one year will be okay.
Love and light,
Annie
Annie,

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be fine missing a year, and I'm sure you'll be amazed, as your child's first birthday approaches, that BM06 is already upon you.

After asking some questions of some people, here are some informal rules of thumb. These do not represent any sort of formal Burning Man or Emergency Services policy regarding pregnancy on playa:

<u>First trimester:</u> Welcome! Have fun! Make sure you stay hydrated, and make sure you know where all of the medical outposts are, just in case.

<u>Second trimester:</u> You really should have regular and easy access to Air Conditioning of some sort, unless you are a veteran Burner and know what you are doing. Check with your doctor before and after the event. Stay cool and hydrated. Consider checking in with medical. Definately know where the medical facilities are located.

<u>Third trimester:</u> Consider skipping the event entirely if you are not a veteran burner. Air Conditioning is a must. Check with your doctor before and after your stay in BRC. Check in with main medical and know where the medical facilities are. Have plenty of friends nearby willing to support you and help out. Have a plan for leaving the playa early if you experience any discomfort.

General health information can be found at

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... afety.html

+++

Since I've been a Ranger and Emergency Services member, no children have been born on playa. While it would be an amazing thing to brag about, it would also be a source of immense stress for everyone involved, including anyone participating in an intervention or evacuation. Honestly, I don't look forward to the first time it happens.

Again, congratulations to you!
dafydd

Former Ranger, current ESD staff member.
My thoughts are my own, and should not be construed to represent the official position of Burning Man in any way, shape, or form. Particularly if I say something stupid.

Cuddle Bunny

Post by Cuddle Bunny » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:15 am

Dragonfly, due to a change of plans in my 2004 world I was unable to attend Burning Man. I had to sell the ticket that had been hanging on my front door for six months (I'm really sorry about the confusion with that Last Real Burner).

It was heartbreaking. Because of travel I took the same week I saw many burners traveling to the event on I-80 East. I thought I would cry.

And here's what I wish I had done:

Along with turning on all of the fans in my house and dumping vaccuum dust into them, I wish I'd have assisted people who needed help. I wish I had helped with costumes and packing and planning. I talked with and helped my friends who were still going, but I didn't reach out and offer assistance to the greater community.

From costuming to last minute packing, you might not be able to climb into the over-packed minivan with your neighbors, but at least a little part of your spirit would be packed in there with them.

Also, if you'd like to post a mailing address here ... or if you only have a physical address send a PM and I'll make sure you get a Black Rock City postmarked note a few months from now.

Because I won't be missing BM again.

JulzQ1

Post by JulzQ1 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:36 pm

I guess i'm going to be the lone person to say go for it. I know you're not really asking for people's opinions on whether or not to go while pregnant so I'll just blabber for a quick minute....

I say that going to burning man during your last trimester is totally up to you. Most importantly, how you connect with your body and how you react to the heat are the two most important things. The decision is certainly not up to people who have never gone through pregnancy. I've heard a lot of people over the years talk about what is "correct" or "safe" for the fetus while pregnant on the playa and what is considered a "safe" pregnancy. Or even if giving birth on the playa could be safe at all. Yet, when most people consider giving birth outside of a hospital only quazi-safe or even unsafe for delivery, I usually don't give much credit to what anyone says about childbirth. Women are powerful and resiliant. So are babies. :)

Ok I'm done ranting, don't anybody shoot me please.

I've had to miss one year and I'm not going to lie, it sucked. Luckily a few friends of ours couldn't make it that year either so we threw a nice party at our house and watched the burn live on the internet. Actually I think that made it worse in a way, it just made me want to be there even more. But hearing all the cheers and hollars gave me a real sense of being there that I wouldn't have felt otherwise.

Skipping years just makes you appreciate it that much more, espeically because you'll be SO excited the next year you're able to go. :) Much luck to you.

wrong trousers

Post by wrong trousers » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:46 pm

Having a baby is SO much cooler than going to Burning Man!! I'd be way excited & bragging about why I wasn't going! :D

That said, I DID miss a year, & not for a fabulous reason like yours but because we just couldn't afford it. We realized there was no way it was gonna happen about 3 weeks before the event. It sucked hard. I cried. I avoided the site like the plague during the week. I was obsessed with *not* obsessing over BM the whole week. I was SO pathetically excited when I could look at the site & it said "the man burns in 361 days...".

Um, that's not helpful for you in the least, ha!
Seriously though, you're going to have that baby & not give a rat's teste what was/is happening in a dumb desert far away, & your year is going to FLY by. You're going to have more fun than any of us!

(i have 2 shorties already & am in full baby lust mode, as may be apparent, haha!)

wrong trousers

Post by wrong trousers » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:59 pm

Having a baby is SO much cooler than going to Burning Man!! I'd be way excited & bragging about why I wasn't going! :D

That said, I DID miss a year, & not for a fabulous reason like yours but because we just couldn't afford it. We realized there was no way it was gonna happen about 3 weeks before the event. It sucked hard. I cried. I avoided the site like the plague during the week. I was obsessed with *not* obsessing over BM the whole week. I was SO pathetically excited when I could look at the site & it said "the man burns in 361 days...".

Um, that's not helpful for you in the least, ha!
Seriously though, you're going to have that baby & not give a rat's teste what was/is happening in a dumb desert far away, & your year is going to FLY by. You're going to have more fun than any of us!

(i have 2 shorties already & am in full baby lust mode, as may be apparent, haha!)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:13 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I know that the MrFishist has delivered babies in the course of his duties as an EMT and that he carries an OB/GYN kit especially for that purpose. There should be at least one and I believe two ambulances on the playa at all times during the event and they would have the equipment as well.
Other than that, yours and dragonfly's gut instincts about it being elsewhere are almost certainly right.

ALWAYS feel free to email the ESD directly: [email protected]
Then you will get the proper answer to your question, actual policy and better informed opinion than I can ever give you.
Okay, I got scolded for posting this on the assumption that it would in some way qualify as an ESD endorsement for giving birth during the event. So I will try and clarify.
Just because the Emergency Services Department would have the know-how and possibly the equipment to deal with an unexpected birth on the playa doesn't mean that they think it's a good idea. In fact, they think it's a bad idea. If someone were to go into labor she would be evacuated off playa unless that were impossible.

If you are one of those "the miracle of birth will be one of the greatest fulfillments of my womanhood" mothers to be why would you want to dilute your experience with the event? Plus, you'd be obliged to pay for your midwife's ticket and still miss a portion of the event.

If you're one of those "drug me so hard I can't remember a damn thing" mothers to be, why would you want to be so far from a hospital when you're near term?

Yes, ESD could handle it. They hope never to have to.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”