foldable tarp poles for 1-person shade structure

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
nic++
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Looking

foldable tarp poles for 1-person shade structure

Post by nic++ » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:46 am

I'm taking the burner express bus, so I have to prioritize for small volumes and light weights :-)

I'd need them to sustain a 1-person shade structure, the cloth would be aluminet so winds shouldn't affect it (too much)

I've been recommended the following poles to sustain the cloth (http://armysurpluswarehouse.com/camo-ne ... for-19-99/), but the charge 100$ for shipping a 10$ pole (...)

Do you have any recommendation for telescopic poles?
Would something like that work too? https://www.rei.com/product/845322/rei- ... ole-single#

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: foldable tarp poles for 1-person shade structure

Post by Popeye » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:38 am

nic++ wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:46 am
I'm taking the burner express bus, so I have to prioritize for small volumes and light weights :-)

I'd need them to sustain a 1-person shade structure, the cloth would be aluminet so winds shouldn't affect it (too much)

I've been recommended the following poles to sustain the cloth (http://armysurpluswarehouse.com/camo-ne ... for-19-99/), but the charge 100$ for shipping a 10$ pole (...)

Do you have any recommendation for telescopic poles?
Would something like that work too? https://www.rei.com/product/845322/rei- ... ole-single#
There is more to the structure than poles and aluminet. How are you guying the structure to the ground? Lags and rope? rebar? All take more space and weight
For your first year and sounds like you are staying at Hoverlandia, you might want to just use some pool noodles as spacers between the tent and shade cloth and stake the cloth to the ground. Not ideal but will help you get an extra hours sleep. Hoverlandia has community shade. If that is full become a shade whore and visit around :twisted: .
Pro tip: every morning shortly after the sun rises there is a breeze blowing over the still chilled playa from the east. if you orient your tent so the breeze blows through the open bottom zipper, in one door and out the other you can get an extra half hour. Of course that assumes you are sleeping on a matress pad on the ground
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:47 am

Just to be clear, The community shade at Hoverlandia is NOT for your tent. It's a place to sit or lie around. To shade your tent you will need to bring your own. You can nap in the shade all over the city. Including Center Camp.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Pick up one of these at wherever hardware store or Amazon ... for like $50 or so.

Toss the shelves, keep the legs. They break down and are screw-in type.

Use the adjustable feet bolts to hold the tarp via the grommet.

Get rope, and stakes (rebar, 12” nails, whatever) and learn to tie knots and hitches.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:24 pm

That shelving unit is a great idea. Very compact. Hard to crush on the bus.

If you're stuck on those fibreglass poles (they're what I would have suggested), check with Twin City Surplus - Reno. twincitysurplus.com
Not much showing on their site. Are they still open?

Two guylines per pole.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:36 pm

For your shade, this may be of interest to you.
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=101553&p=1189721#p1189721
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”