Speeding in BRC on the playa?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Canoe

Speeding in BRC on the playa?

Post by Canoe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:35 pm

Watching the livestream showing the centre open playa art area, usually to the east of Centre Camp, do the speeders ever stick out from the bulk of the traffic.
(The bulk of bikes appear to be fat bikes or cruisers, with a few MTN or regular. One road bike seen.)
I've seen a number of bikes and the odd mutant vehicle speeding on the livestream. One doesn't have to watch long to see a speeding bike. Speeding mutant vehicles seem to be rare, with most travelling well under the bulk of the traffic. Non-mutant motor vehicles all seem to be travelling the same speed, or very near to that, slower than most bikes.

Some of the speeding bikes are people pedalling away, but by far most are e-bikes. Most speeders are seen crossing the playa around double the speed of the rest, but some are triple, even four times the speed of the bulk of the traffic. One pair crossed out behind the temple around five times the speed of the traffic moving near them.

Some e-bikes are easily identified if they're not pedalling. Most tend to the fast end of the bulk of the traffic, but not speeding. Every now and then, a motorized scooter, board or segway-type will go by; they too tend to be on the fast end of the bulk of the traffic, or slightly above, but rarely so fast to be an obvious speeder.

There needs to be some way of reaching the large number of virgins coming, so they understand that the 5 mph speed limit isn't to prevent collisions, but to limit the severity of injuries, which are significantly less at 5 mph than when they're going faster.

I've only watched around six hours, but I have yet to see any of the speeders stopped by anyone.

Has anyone in BRC in 2019 seen anyone stopped for speeding?
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Speeding in BRC on the playa?

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:03 pm

In general I’ve always found there to be little enforcement of rules.
I’ve seen mutant vehicles that were denied approval cruising the playa anyway more than once.
What I have seen more of is enforcement of absolute BS.
I’ve been stopped and ordered off the Esplanade where no driving is alllowed by real cops - who didn’t understand what the Esplanade was. I was on 2:00, NOT the Esplanade. Can’t tell the cop that, he’s right and that’s final and you ain’t gonna win.
I’ve been stopped and hassled by Black Rock Rangers for not having a DMV sticker when I had one clearly displayed in the proper position I’m clear view... they got told to fuck off.
No badge, no gun, me no listen.
Etc etc.
But useful enforcement of things that matter? Nah... not much of that.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:19 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:03 pm
But useful enforcement of things that matter? Nah... not much of that.
^That.
Unless they can collect the stupid tax, the LEO's aren't really concerned. Don't know if they're harassing more this year since I'm in Camp Envy as well, but in my experience is all about the dollars.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:34 pm

Seeing lots of people arrive at an art work and leave their bike unlocked and walk away with their back to the bike to look at the art. 20' to 50' away, no problem...

And artwork with no one around it, but a bike or two sitting there.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:21 pm

I was watching the feed at work today and I swear it looked like one of the big pirate ship looking mutant vehicles was speeding along outside the trash fence. The camera zoomed in on it and followed it for a while..i didn’t see anyone chasing it down so maybe it was an optical illusion, or not the trash fence...but it was clearly on the other side of an orange barrier fence.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:49 pm

sadie wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:21 pm
I was watching the feed at work today ...
Do you recall the time? The livestream will buffer up to four hours that people can replay.

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:14 pm

I know it was after lunch...maybe around 2:00 or so...central time zone.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:17 pm

sadie wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:14 pm
I know it was after lunch...maybe around 2:00 or so...central time zone.
Thanks, but I've missed it then. I'm back as far as I can go and it's 17:17.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:08 pm

There's a pirate ship with fill on working rigging which is allowed outside the trash fence with special permission and sails on wind power. It is allowed more than the 5 mph in that case.

On city streets, 5 mph needs to be the rule, or as close as one can get without falling over. Out on the open playa, away from others, if it has a couple wheels or three, a little faster should be forgivable I think. If you can pedal that fast, have at it, in my opinion. If you're motivating without pedaling, you're probably over the limit. If you need to swerve and weave, you're being a dick. I just got an assist for my trike and I might have pushed it a little in the Great Wide Open to see what it could do. No speedometer, but a nice little thrill. Eats up the charge, so with only solar to power it, I cannot whip around with impunity. So easy to do though...

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:36 pm

I ran into my two favorite LEOs, (for the second year in a row). We talked about the E-bikes speeding. They can't do anything about it. Those speeders just dive into a crowd and poof. Can't follow or recognize them. My friend and I came from 9:00 o'clock to 4:00 on the back streets. I led. She rides an e-bike with speedometer. I was peddling 9 mph and didn't know it. It happens.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:56 am

I almost got run down by a e-bike this year. He was zooming in and out of the crowd at about 20mph, at night, with no lights on him or the bike.

The darkwad percentage was very high this year. Made it hard to enjoy seeing the sights, at night.
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:13 am

2014 was the last year I attended before finally getting tickets this year. The single biggest change I saw was the increase of e-bikes and scooters (with and without seats). I admit, early in the week I was a bit jealous. Especially after long rides into the wind to return to camp. But as the week went on and as riders became less courteous and more careless/reckless, they became annoying and intrusive. The guidelines for e-bikes and scooters were broken and flaunted throughout the week but got terribly worse with the arrival of the weekend crowd.

These are great innovations for the mobility impaired among us and are perfect for that use. But with any great idea come the reality that there are those who will exploit it. That was on full display at this years burn!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”