Does Radical Inclusion equal Racial Inclusion?

A forum for community conversation and deeper discussions about the cultural direction of Burning Man.
User avatar
Token
Posts: 4572
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: Does Radical Inclusion equal Racial Inclusion?

Post by Token » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:37 pm

goodleaf wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:26 pm
“I can do very little to influence how people treat you. I wish I could.”

This is complacency. Why don’t you (1) ask how you can help influence how people treat others or (2) research how you can help influence people? Instead of assuming you can’t?

Members of any majority population are often the best situated to influence how the majority treats others.
Oh Fuck!

I’ve been complacent!!

Actually, majorities have historically done squat to promote change.

Minorities have fought long and hard via education, community engagement, activism, to advance their agenda. They helped themself engage a broader population towards a better outcome.

Blaming others of complacency is like expecting someone to do your homework.

Be the change you want to see. educate. inspire.

goodleaf
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:50 am
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Does Radical Inclusion equal Racial Inclusion?

Post by goodleaf » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:40 am

“Be the change you want to see. educate. inspire.“

We are (as we always have been) - just wishing more would be allies (as we always have wished).

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8759
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Does Radical Inclusion equal Racial Inclusion?

Post by lucky420 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:34 am

goodleaf wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:40 am
“Be the change you want to see. educate. inspire.“

We are (as we always have been) - just wishing more would be allies (as we always have wished).
I’m an ally. If I ever do or say something that isn’t right (in this regard) please school me. I hope that I can learn and do better and won’t take offense at being taught
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

User avatar
FlyingMonkey
Posts: 1233
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Does Radical Inclusion equal Racial Inclusion?

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:47 pm
Ano wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:25 pm
FlyingMonkey wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:54 pm

I’d recommend self-identifying as a Burner first & see if that helps foster an open conversation.

[snip]

Identifying as a POC first frames your perspective and (believe it or not) limits your objectivity.
I had to walk away for a few days before I could adequately respond to this, and honestly I still don't have a response to it.

Instead, I've taken a screenshot of your post and I intend on printing it and sharing it with people when they want to have serious and frank discussions about the racial experience at Burning Man. This is an absolutely beautiful and fantastic example as to how incredibly ignorant people can be. It's so damn good that it should go into a book.

The only response I can muster without getting unreasonably sad:

I can't, dude. I literally cannot do that. And I'm not the one who gets to make that choice.



Can you honestly say that there is a systemic problem with racism at burning man? I'd be curious to hear more. Would you say it's just in the Org or with the participants in general?

...

So aside from the people you had mentioned previously, have you felt you have ever been excluded or not welcome at a camp or art car because of the color of your skin? That would be a larger problem.

...

Let’s have this frank discussion.
I don't come here often anymore so I'm a little surprised that no one is discussing what they have specifically experienced at Burning Man.

Considering the passion of the initial replies (too include quoting me as an example of someone who just doesn’t get it) I'd think there would be all kinds of examples of racial exclusion at the event.

I am genuinely interested to hear about this and possibly be convinced that my initial feelings on this topic were inaccurate due to ignorance on my part because I have not personally encountered it.

So far I have only seen that some people were treated poorly but only on an individual basis. So unless someone chimes in I have to assume that Burning Man (as an Org & an Event) doesn’t have an actual problem with racial inclusion.

Here is your opportunity to have that discussion. If you don't take this opportunity to explain what you have experienced how can you possibly hope to elicit change?

This is about correcting something that’s wrong, isn't it?
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8759
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Does Radical Inclusion equal Racial Inclusion?

Post by lucky420 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:14 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 am
FlyingMonkey wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:47 pm
Ano wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:25 pm


I had to walk away for a few days before I could adequately respond to this, and honestly I still don't have a response to it.

Instead, I've taken a screenshot of your post and I intend on printing it and sharing it with people when they want to have serious and frank discussions about the racial experience at Burning Man. This is an absolutely beautiful and fantastic example as to how incredibly ignorant people can be. It's so damn good that it should go into a book.

The only response I can muster without getting unreasonably sad:

I can't, dude. I literally cannot do that. And I'm not the one who gets to make that choice.



Can you honestly say that there is a systemic problem with racism at burning man? I'd be curious to hear more. Would you say it's just in the Org or with the participants in general?

...

So aside from the people you had mentioned previously, have you felt you have ever been excluded or not welcome at a camp or art car because of the color of your skin? That would be a larger problem.

...

Let’s have this frank discussion.
I don't come here often anymore so I'm a little surprised that no one is discussing what they have specifically experienced at Burning Man.

Considering the passion of the initial replies (too include quoting me as an example of someone who just doesn’t get it) I'd think there would be all kinds of examples of racial exclusion at the event.

I am genuinely interested to hear about this and possibly be convinced that my initial feelings on this topic were inaccurate due to ignorance on my part because I have not personally encountered it.

So far I have only seen that some people were treated poorly but only on an individual basis. So unless someone chimes in I have to assume that Burning Man (as an Org & an Event) doesn’t have an actual problem with racial inclusion.

Here is your opportunity to have that discussion. If you don't take this opportunity to explain what you have experienced how can you possibly hope to elicit change?

This is about correcting something that’s wrong, isn't it?

You might be reaching out to mostly the wrong crowd here. Not all burners eplaya and just because You don’t see it or experience it or have only heard 1 or 2 stories doesn’t mean it’s not a thing. why would somebody come here and tell non truths about it? How much proof do you need before you can accept that it’s a thing and it does affect people?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Post Reply

Return to “Black Rock City Cultural Direction”