Tickets for a First Time Camp

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
zadok
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Platybus and the band

Tickets for a First Time Camp

Post by zadok » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:49 am

Hello!
Next year will be my seventh burn, and I'm hoping to set up a camp with a group of fellow hedonists.

I have heard a rumour that first time camps don't get allocated many/any tickets - can anyone confirm this to be true or false?

Having failed to get tickets through the main sale in previous years, but managed to get tickets from people in the camp I was staying with - I am hoping to get at least some tickets allocated to the camp (which will hopefully be around 30 people in size, be well prepared, and will have lots of public activities).

Can anyone advise as to how many tickets are likely to be allocated? I would love to have at least some guarantee that I'll get the core camp team along as otherwise building the camp will become pretty hard!

Thanks!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Tickets for a First Time Camp

Post by Ratty » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:58 am

Sorry Zadok, It doesn't work that way. If they made tickets available to everyone that said they were starting a camp......If you apply for a theme camp placement you may get placed. It's decided on how much space you need weighed against how much you are contributing to the community. Last year placement asked everyone to 'step up their game'. Just a bar isn't enough. They also said to expect a change in the DGS allocations. If you get placement and do everything right you MAY get tickets for some of your camp next year. (No promises.) They are a reward. You need to read a lot more about it. Search the BM site and decide if a camp is really what you want.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:03 pm

Placement and Ticketing DGS are redoing their entire philosophy based on past camp ticket entitlement abuse.

No one knows in advance what the new system will be until the BORG announces it.

OBK
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

zadok
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Platybus and the band

Post by zadok » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:17 pm

Thanks for the help!

I wasn’t saying I expected tickets simply from starting a camp - just asking whether there was a blanket policy of not allocating tickets to first timers. I appreciate that my camp would need to offer lots of public activities and generally be well planned in order to even be in consideration, and that I can’t assume to get tickets.

I’m only concerned that by starting a camp I might be in a WORSE situation ticket wise than I normally am, where I’ve sometimes been saved by camp tickets when I haven’t been successful in the main sale.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:38 pm

The answer is yes. You could conceivably end up worse ticket wise. Especially the first year when your new camp isn't eligible to receive DGS tickets. But then, the system is changing. We'll just have to wait and see what the improvements are. There are far too many camps that are in it just for placement and tickets.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”