Mist Shower: minimal water use

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Canoe

Mist Shower: minimal water use

Post by Canoe » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:05 am

Here's two related links regarding the Mist Shower.
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2019/10 ... dence.html
http://oddemulsion.com/minwater.html

The first makes reference to a Portable Mist Shower, which could be paired with the solar-heated black-bag hanging hot water makers. Have a mist nozzle that can be easily adjusted/turned off. The one in the minwater device may be a likely candidate. Heat your water in the bag, pour into pressure container, pump with some air, hang it up, have your shower.

Paired with the Navy Shower method, it could save even more hot water.

Less water used. Less gray water to collect and deal with.

1970's design of a portable Mist Shower
portable Mist Shower - 70's design.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Re: Mist Shower: minimal water use

Post by unjonharley » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:15 am

A pump up garden sprayer could do the job .. fyi. those hot water bags get scalding hot, btdt. ..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:06 am

Can confirm - a pump-up garden sprayer works just fine. Even better than the solar bag showers, IMO, since you actually get some pressure. That's exactly what we used last year, worked a treat.

And yeah, if you're using a solar shower and leaving it in the sun, fill it only part way. That way you can add unheated water just before your shower to get the temperature back down to something pleasant.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:16 pm

The take-away I'd intended was the minimal water use benefit of a "misting head".
I don't know how that compares with the spray out of your pump-up garden sprayer.
I've seen some that would mist, but others that their nozzle would only spray, wide through narrow.
That said, the "misting head" photos seem to show an output that's in between what I'd call "mist" and "spray". Call it a fine spray.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:00 pm

A standard spray bottle to hit those sweet spots
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met/Various Delights

Post by Grumpy Otter » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:05 pm

I have used a garden sprayer the past three years and it does adjust between a spray stream and mist. I bought it at Harbor Freight.

Kenshiro
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Kenshiro » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:19 pm

I wonder just how little water one could get down to and still obtain a “good” clean. This last year my camp was averaging probably barely over a gallon per shower and I was stoked about this result. We actually kinda encouraged more showering toward the end as we didn’t get anywhere near using all the water we paid for.

KPS1980
Burning Since: 2016

Post by KPS1980 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:41 pm

I made the shower for a large camp. The kitchen sink spray nozzles work great. They put out a high pressure and low volume stream. They push the soap off fast. The push lever stops water flow instantly. Without trying, people were using a gallon or less of water. Cream rinse users used a bit more. Someone felt we should drop the pressure because he thought he was using too much water. I guaranteed him he wasn't using more than a gallon. You would have to hold the lever down for over 60 seconds to get a gallon of water but you don't need that much.
KPS1980

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:03 pm

KPS1980 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:41 pm
I made the shower for a large camp. The kitchen sink spray nozzles work great. They put out a high pressure and low volume stream. They push the soap off fast. The push lever stops water flow instantly. Without trying, people were using a gallon or less of water. Cream rinse users used a bit more. Someone felt we should drop the pressure because he thought he was using too much water. I guaranteed him he wasn't using more than a gallon. You would have to hold the lever down for over 60 seconds to get a gallon of water but you don't need that much.
That sounds great. And no way to leave it on. What pressure and how did you get it? Photos?

KPS1980

Post by KPS1980 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:45 pm

35-25psi. This was a 120V system that had pump suction from a 275 gal water tote. Next year I will be starting a much smaller camp. I will use 12V battery power from a deep cycle battery, solar charged. I use a Shurflo 3 GPM pump on my van shower. I use the same sprayer on the van shower. The pump has an automatic on and off pressure switch. For the large system I put a pressure tank down stream of the pump. The large system was feeding 4 showers. The pressure tank kept the pump from cycling on and off too often. With a one shower stall system, it wouldn't be needed.
KPS1980

KPS1980

Post by KPS1980 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:53 pm

[attachment=0]4 Shower Picture Inside Close View Night Compr.JPG[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KPS1980

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:57 pm

KPS1980 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:45 pm
35-25psi. This was a 120V system that had pump suction from a 275 gal water tote. Next year I will be starting a much smaller camp. I will use 12V battery power from a deep cycle battery, solar charged. I use a Shurflo 3 GPM pump on my van shower. I use the same sprayer on the van shower. The pump has an automatic on and off pressure switch. For the large system I put a pressure tank down stream of the pump. The large system was feeding 4 showers. The pressure tank kept the pump from cycling on and off too often. With a one shower stall system, it wouldn't be needed.
Thanks!

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”