LED Lighting project for bike

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

LED Lighting project for bike

Post by pedroescobar » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:12 pm

Anyone have any good resources to learn about setting up individually addressable LED lighting strips for a bike. I’ve used the little El Wire strips in the past but I figure I wanted to take on a slightly more involved project this year. Are there any good online resources that can provide guidance to a beginner?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: LED Lighting project for bike

Post by BBadger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:15 am

You might look at the (costume) lighting tutorials on Adafruit's site and then experiment with mounting them to your bike or other things.

The only thing specific I'll say is that I like using those large USB power banks for powering LEDs on my bike because they last a while, provide the needed 5V that devices need, and come in a nice package.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:20 am

P, how “beginner” are you?

What kind of craft you got?

Ohms law? Miller currents? Do you code and can you handle microcontrollers like Arduino or maybe a Raspberry Pi?

Do you solder? Can you do SMD precision soldering?

Why do you need individually addressable LED? That raises complexity and craft floor.

If you have a vision of what you are trying to execute, information provided will be more useful.

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:47 pm

In the grand scheme of things I’m starting from “basic”. I have basic soldering and coding skills, but my neighbor can help out as he is definitely at the professional level for everything Involved. I’d just like to find some resources so I can pull together basic understanding of as much as I can before we kick off the project. I mean he could do the whole thing in a few hours, but that would go against the whole idea behind my project of learning something new.

Bigger project behind this is we will actually be running GPS tracking via a LoRA network for a handful of bikes. I’ve got 3 LoRA gateways. Two of them have confirmed camps with power and antenna access. I’m identifying a 3rd. Depending on how the initial build and testing go we will likely have the lighting on the bikes change as they get closer to each other and potentially send some different lighting programs throughout the week as well.

I get the programming on all of that will be much harder. I’m letting him handle that depending on how much I can bring to the table on basic build stuff. ie If I can pull together the basics of putting the lighting on the bikes and powering them myself, he can do all the radio, controller and coding work.

I’m looking at using 5050 LED lighting strips like the Alitove 5050 RGB strips on each bike.

ALITOVE WS2812B Individually Addressable LED Strip Light 5050 RGB 16.4ft 300 LED Pixel Flexible Lamp Tube Waterproof IP67 Black PCB DC 5V

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:39 am

To update, in some other discussions I'm having, I'll probably look a bit lower on the LED density and have something in the range of 150 on the bike as the power requirements for the 300 strip listed would be too much.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:30 am

So called "remote controlled addressable LED Driver" for a start ?

(me currently playing with WS2815)
Last edited by Traveller in Time on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:37 am

Yeah the more I'm reading, the more I think I'll go with 12v. I'm finding lots of sources online as well. I just figured I'd start here and Reddit.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:19 pm

All right! Now we got some meat on this bone.

I’d recommend leaning on SparkFun Electronics. It’s a real good resource for the tutorials on how to run all the type of gear you would be using.

Here is an example of the LoRa tutorials.

https://www.sparkfun.com/search/results ... #tutorials

There is also good stuff in addressable LED topics, controllers and shields.

I’d also suggest going Arduino for the microcontrollers on the mobile components:

low power, reliable, intensely supported by a vibrant user community, lots of options from SparkFun, Adafruit, and other vendors for shields and boards...

Return to “Power & Electronics”