Shade fabric HELP

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
moon_rider
Burning Since: 2017

Shade fabric HELP

Post by moon_rider » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:52 pm

Burners need you help please. I going want to build shade structure and can't find where to buy this kind of fabric. If anyone knows can you please send me link or what the actual name of this product is? I have attached a picture.

Thank you so much. BM2020
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Shade fabric HELP

Post by Ratty » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:03 pm

That looks like shade cloth from the garden department. It comes in different weights and various amounts of shade from it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:49 pm

You're going to want something with a little more weave than that. A camp mate brings that stuff and while it's better than being in direct sun light, it's not by much.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:14 pm

"Shade cloth" is varied.
The most common and cheapest is polyester or "knitted" shade cloth - your picture. It comes in colors and % shade.

The high tech shade cloth is Aluminet, as far as we can tell from a patented maker in Israel. The warp is a twisted synthetic fiber with aluminized mylar like Christmas tinsel and a synthetic weft. It is also in % shade.

Aluminet is stretchy and poly shade cloth doesn't stretch much.

Poly shade cloth can sometimes be found on Craigs from farmers and greenhouses. Burners sometimes sell their Aluminet. New, poly starts in the $.10/sf+ and Aluminet in the $.30/sf+ range.

You photo shows it edged and grommeted, that costs extra and is recommended, because shade cloth catches wind and has to be secured.

You can search my posts for preferred sources, but I've heard what's available in Canada and tariffs may influence the price.

Some years arctic camouflage or snow camo net with wind cutouts has been popular, but availability varies. Surplus desert camo net is plentiful for the wrong reasons.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:07 pm

Check https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/cov ... ade-cloth/

If you use the search function at the top of this page or google Eplaya: shade cloth you will find more than you want to know on the subject.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:52 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:14 pm

The high tech shade cloth is Aluminet, as far as we can tell from a patented maker in Israel.
If I'm not mistaken, that patent expired a few years ago, though the name Aluminet is still trademarked. You can now buy the same stuff from other makers, just look for names like "Alumimesh".

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:41 pm

I've ordered from Gothic Arches Greenhouses with much success. You definitely want Knit Shade Cloth as it does not unravel as far if it gets a hole in it. You want folded and taped edges and grommets every 2 feet as well as 2 grommets 4 inched from each corner. They are familiar with burners and often offer a burner discount. Try your best to get 80% or above as far as shade number. Below 70% the benefits of shade become much less notable. Aluminet in my experience is the very best you can get.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:22 pm

Don't forget that shade cloth makes a nice wind wall too. It shades/reflects the heat on the other side away, and all the little holes mean that it will release air pressure through them too.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:27 am

Canoe wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:22 pm
Don't forget that shade cloth makes a nice wind wall too. .
80% and above shade material can be great to block playa dust blowing straight into your tent entrance. Everyone wants to have wind protection around their home, be it vehicles or larger dwellings, but many times one has no ability to set up in perfect relationship to prevailing winds.

I have a conduit shade structure, and have a dense black mesh shade cloth going at an angle from the conduit to about 6' from the tent entrance, and lagscrew the edge right against the playa, to mitigate that surface playa dust from sneaking under the mesh.

I doubt my tent would have survived some major wind carnage in past years without shade on all sides, as the concept of prevailing winds being "prevailing" isn't the way it is in many whiteout windstorms.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”