Life got in the way

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
jrwasko66
Burning Since: 2020

Life got in the way

Post by jrwasko66 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:35 pm

Ya, for 25 years I dreamed of attending. After losing my legs in 2019 it is now or never.

Already hooked up with the mobility camp. I figure a place for me to contribute yet be a part of a camp without being totally on my own.

I'll never make it there you say. Think again fool. I live on the Mesa in Northern New Mexico 5 miles down a dirt road totally off the grid 365 days a year. Weather that will rival the Playa any day of the year. Wind, heat, dust, snow, cold. The only difference is housing, permanent versus temporary.

I know once I get there it will be an annual pilgrimage for me till the day I die.

The first year will be the most difficult as experience is king and still strapped for money as the artificial limbs are still sucking money out of me like a hooker on main street.

I really suspect i will be way more independent than needing to be with the mobility camp but who knows. Already snowshoeing and biking so getting around not an issue. Hope to score free running blade by September too.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Life got in the way

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:38 pm

Welcome to ePlaya and your first of hopefully many burns!

It always touches my heart to hear the story of the first mobility camp: https://podcasts.apple.com/il/podcast/b ... 0016915134

An ePlayan made a documentary about the current mobility camp viewtopic.php?f=540&t=98645&p=1182712&h ... y#p1182712

A long time ago I had a roommate who lost a leg in her teens in a car on bike sideswipe. She was always a sporty athlete and continued that. After our time she climbed Rainier and Denali.

For me the event is so unbelievable, I always return with a sense anything is possible.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:46 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!

Be sure to stop by the ePlaya Meet-n-Greet on Wednesday at 6:00PM and meet all of the ePlayans you may have befriended here. Further details on this year's location will be posted as it gets closer to the burn.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:49 am

Hola and hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”