no luck with main sale - 5 years in a row

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
patpatpatme
Burning Since: 2010

no luck with main sale - 5 years in a row

Post by patpatpatme » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:35 am

its been exactly 10 years since my first and 9 since my last and i may be the minority here, but ive registered and participated in the main sale each year the last 5 years with ZERO tickets, this includes several OMG sales and STEP also.

i know a theme camp would be an option but wasnt keen on paying to join one. maybe ill have to give it a try. what else can i do differently to increase my odds of getting a ticket?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: no luck with main sale - 5 years in a row

Post by Ratty » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:36 pm

Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer. Build art ahead of time. Join a crew. Sweat equity. Where ever you ive there are people building and working for months in advance. Pitch in and be part of their tribe. You won't regret it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:46 am

In your profile fill in your location. Meet your regional and burners in your area in-person, work on projects with them and go to events where they are.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

patpatpatme

Post by patpatpatme » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:01 pm

thanks for the tips. if im understanding it correctly, what is being suggested is getting them second hand through the network by working on a project with my local/regional community, not buying through the group sale? is that correct?

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met/Various Delights

Post by Grumpy Otter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:29 pm

Always try and get a ticket in the main sale. Next time could be your time. Networking and making burner connections is also key to accessing tickets later if you do not connect in the sale. Plus you can make lasting friends and have people to share your Burn with. A friend has gone to 4 Burns and only got tickets in the sale one time. He usually has connected in the last few weeks before the Burn when people realize they can not go and are selling their tickets.

patpatpatme

Post by patpatpatme » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:17 pm

thanks guys, looking forward to going home ! :D

Rainmaker
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: No

Post by Rainmaker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:46 pm

I feel in love with the Burning Man principals several years ago. I kept thinking this is truly is something I wanted to be part of. Community, participation, and hopefully contributing to something bigger then me. I have applied to volunteer and tried to get involved with my local burners without much luck. If there are any groups out there that are willing to take a newbie I promise to contribute and be positive in every way I can. Please someone help me with the opportunity for my first burn!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Rainmaker. Go to the 'greeter' section and post a bit about yourself. Where you live would be helpful. But not in this thread.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Rainmaker
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: No

Post by Rainmaker » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:52 pm

Thanks for the advice. Makes sense to post in a more positive thread. I’m out of Detroit and hoping to be more active with Burner groups here.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”