35mm Film

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
SilverHalide
Burning Since: 2010

35mm Film

Post by SilverHalide » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:21 am

Does anyone have any experience with shooting 35mm film on the playa at night and during the "blue hour"? If so, what did you use in terms of brand of film and Speed/ISO?

I plan on doing some early morning long exposers pictures. I picked up a really well taken care of Nikon 8008 with a bunch of filters that I really want to play with on the playa.

All input is appreciated. Thanks!

Canoe

Re: 35mm Film

Post by Canoe » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:43 pm

Test before you're there, so you have an idea of the results you'll get.

Each emulsion has its own colour pallet and texture, and that varies once you're into long exposures.
I assume you won't be pushing the film development.
You can even radically change the texture with B&W emulsions based on the chemicals used.
There is no one answer.
Or two.
Or three.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:23 am

I have, back in the day. My main problem daytime was overexposure with all the beige playa and the sky. You can spotmeter the blue hour and do the zone system in your head. For night, suggest bringing an inexpensive digital camera and tuning your exposure on that, then duplicating it on your film camera.

There have been photography topics searchable on ePlaya.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

SilverHalide

Post by SilverHalide » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:44 am

Canoe wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:43 pm
Test before you're there, so you have an idea of the results you'll get.

Each emulsion has its own colour pallet and texture, and that varies once you're into long exposures.
I assume you won't be pushing the film development.
You can even radically change the texture with B&W emulsions based on the chemicals used.
There is no one answer.
Or two.
Or three.
Thanks for the reply Canoe.

Good idea. That inspires me to do a shoot with "Space Whale" early one morning, in downtown Reno. That should give me some idea of my exposure settings in regards to capturing the lights at night on the playa. And doing a camping trip out to the Black Rock would probably be a good idea too.

No, I don't plan on doing my own development - this year. I would love to take a small old camper and turn it into a darkroom so I can push, pull, burn and dodge like it's 1986. 8)

SilverHalide

Post by SilverHalide » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 am

some seeing eye wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:23 am
I have, back in the day. My main problem daytime was overexposure with all the beige playa and the sky. You can spotmeter the blue hour and do the zone system in your head. For night, suggest bringing an inexpensive digital camera and tuning your exposure on that, then duplicating it on your film camera.

There have been photography topics searchable on ePlaya.
Thanks for the reply Some Seeing Eye.

Good idea on the spot meter, I completely forgot about those! I don't own one, but I found an app for my iPhone - go figure. I am going to have to use that in my film trials to get it dialed in.

The last post I could find on 35mm film was 2013. Film is so out of style now. The guy I used for film development just closed down and I understand why. I shoot a Nikon D750 that has amazing night resolution and get images I could never get on film. And the cameras and post processing software is only getting better. It is so easy to fix the blown highlights of the playa and sky now. But part of me cannot let the art of shooting film die.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:07 am

I miss the colour palletes and textures.

But I love digital bracketing, to get exposures for different parts of the scene, combined after the fact.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Power & Electronics”