Sun protection without sunscreen

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
GinnyDragon54
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Sun protection without sunscreen

Post by GinnyDragon54 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi! I am hoping to go to Burning Man in the future, but I have never been before. I'm originally from Florida, so I know how I react to the sun (I know Florida's humid heat is different than the dry heat of the desert, but the sun is the sun, right?) I'm fair skinned and VERY prone to sunburn, but I can't wear sunscreen (I burn worse with sunscreen than without - I think it's some sort of allergy/sensitivity but IDK). Any tips on sun protection that doesn't require sunscreen? I'm thinking my wardrobe will likely consist of Palazzo pants and light, long sleeved shirts. I'll probably also wear a wide brimmed hat with a strap to keep it from blowing away. Does this seem like a good idea? Any other suggestions? As far as modesty goes, I'm not opposed to being nude/scantily clad, but I don't need to be either (and considering my tendency to burn, it's probably not a good idea for me to be uncovered for more than a few minutes out in the elements). Thanks!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Sun protection without sunscreen

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:19 pm

You are on the right track. Many people "stay in" maybe 10-3. I have found the underside of my nose gets burned from sunlight reflecting off the soil, which is beige. You probably have a similar problem with lightly colored sand.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:21 pm

All sorts of things may reflect UV. At least there's no water...

With the higher altitude, there's also less UV protection as there's less atmosphere between you and the sun.

Maybe look into the zinc covers for nose and ear lobes, etc..

For the strong winds blowing playa soil up into a dust bowl or even into a white out or a full dust storm, you want something like a cotton bandana to cover your face except for sunglasses, even covering your ears to protect them from the wind, so you can always make that do double duty.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:59 pm

Columbia is just one of many manufacturers of full length sleeve, multi-pocketed, lightweight SPF shirts. Expensive, but I've worn the same one at BurningMan (only worn there) for about 15 years. I have a white one, which becomes grey by mid-week, when I wash it, and it dries very quickly.

How about a long beaked baseball cap with something like this:
facemask2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GinnyDragon54
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Post by GinnyDragon54 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:20 am

DoctorIknow wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:59 pm
Columbia is just one of many manufacturers of full length sleeve, multi-pocketed, lightweight SPF shirts. Expensive, but I've worn the same one at BurningMan (only worn there) for about 15 years. I have a white one, which becomes grey by mid-week, when I wash it, and it dries very quickly.

How about a long beaked baseball cap with something like this:
facemask2.jpg
We got some Columbia shirts as layering pieces when we went to Israel 12 years ago, and they were great! It's a wonder I didn't think of that before! Thanks for the tip! ^_^

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Buddha Camp At The Lotus Dome

Post by Elliot » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi, Ginny, welcome to ePlaya!
I am a white-skinned Scandinavian, and I go nude much of the time on Playa -- mostly without sunscreen.

My "secret" is that I build a natural tan very gradually over four to six months. It is simply part of my daily routine to take "an early siesta" for 1/2 to 1 hour in my back-yard -- Noon-ish now, and 9-ish come summer.

By late August I have a good tan all over and do not easily burn.

I realize not everyone can goof off in a reasonably private spot while working for a living. But if you can, I certainly recommend it. With a good tan all over, there simply are no spots that suddenly burn when your outfit happens to not cover such areas.

Even if you can sunbathe all over only on weekends, it will help.
The purpose of separation of church and state is
to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife
which has soaked the soils of Europe in blood for centuries.
--James Madison

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:40 pm

I have a ridiculous collection of the 'neck' gaiters. I use them in my hair (so many options!), as masks, as neck warmers, as wrist deco.

Highly recommend.

On the other hand, I've never needed sunscreen. I'm a freak like that.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:33 am

Check out ""Shawl sleeves" for golf . They cover the arm and tops of the hand
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”