Is it ok to plan and announce a post-quarantine celebration event?

All things outside of Burning Man.
rambo
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: The Cloud

Is it ok to plan and announce a post-quarantine celebration event?

Post by rambo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:31 am

Hi everyone - so since the announcement that BM2020 is cancelled, I've been as down as the rest of you. But since then it occurred to me that I needed something to look forward to, I think we all do. As I was thinking about what I could possibly be excited about, it occurred to me that I might be in a position to help create that something.

In a nutshell my idea is to make a completely free event in San Francisco. No ticket costs, no bars, no merchandise, no sponsors, nothing - a totally old-school style free thing. I would cover the costs and work for all the logistics and stuff, set up my project there, and invite others in the community to come participate via bringing art, theme camp style experiences, etc. Almost like a little unofficial 1-day regional or "compression."

I have the most critical piece, the venue already lined up, but OF COURSE, I can't commit to any kind of specific date for when this would happen. It would only happen once it was both legally and morally responsible to do so which no one can say when it will be - but sooner or later we're going to be let out and I think planning a kind of "rapid reaction" event where a bunch of us can get together and make something akin to home happen would be great - it would at least give us something semi-tangible to look forward to that feels like the burn.

I've had great feedback from some people, but I've also had people say that they think its maybe a bad move / in bad taste to try to announce something like this right now - even if I really try to make it clear that we are NOT doing this on any kind of committed timeline and it would fully be dependent on the ability to make it safe.

I wanted to make this post to see what the general community, people that don't know me might think? Is this something that you think people would be happy to hear about, and would be excited to start planning participation for, or should I just hold off?

Best,

Rambo

PS - if you think this is a cool idea and know theme camps/artists in SF you think would be down to join please connect us! I'm not from the area so I'm not really connected in that particular community

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Is it ok to plan and announce a post-quarantine celebration event?

Post by Token » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:14 am

Don’t see any issue in building community, keeping the flame going.

The logistics aside with dates and whatnot - those are things out of your control.

Having a creative playground for the other side of The ‘Rona can be downright therapeutic for many.

Go for it.

rambo
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: The Cloud

Post by rambo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks for the thoughts/support!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:04 pm

What token said
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Open Discussion”