BMorg's position on limiting population?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:30 pm

Thus, the 150-member group would only occur because of absolute necessity, i.e. due to intense environmental and economic pressures.
No wonder we're going nuts.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

EricMagic

Plan to Expand - Permenent Burning City

Post by EricMagic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:00 pm

If it truly gets too crowded (who is to say what is too crowded?), then expand the even beyond the fence and into the nearby mountiain ranges. If it goes beyond the ranges then have people expand their campls along the highway and on either side of the ranges.

If it (BMAN Event) gets really large and intense beyond anyone's expectations, then start a permenant Burning City that has the Burners coming in and out to support the colony like ants, and establish a brand new living community or artistic reservation.

There is so much room in NV, and we can protest to possibly expand the party on the nearby USA Federal Land.
<>
Relax, Be Bold, Dream, Live Large, Elevate
<>

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:05 pm

FYI Eric -- Burning Man will pay you to scoop burner poop up one mountain and down the other thru November or December, should your dream come true.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:37 pm

I hear they're trying to limit us to one clone per person

AIIZ

mars

Post by mars » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:48 pm

Darn--I need several clones to keep up with all I want to do at Burning Man.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:57 am

Bob wrote:FYI Eric -- Burning Man will pay you to scoop burner poop up one mountain and down the other thru November or December, should your dream come true.
how much?

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:37 pm

spectabillis wrote:how much?
Hard to tell. Some people don't shit for a week out there.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:22 pm

Bob wrote:
spectabillis wrote:how much?
Hard to tell. Some people don't shit for a week out there.
Until they're waiting in line to go home...

kyoto

Post by kyoto » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:08 pm

I read in a transcript of one of Larry's talks that he would like the city to get a bit bigger so that it can really claim to be an experimental city, with all the usual issues of a city - ultimately so that we can show everyone what can happen when the community really is a community. But he didn't feel it was right to keep growing indefinately.

There are about 100 or so Regional Contacts. They're the people with contracts with the Project and have agreed to try to grow burner activity in their region. Obviously they work with lots and lots of other people who are not official RCs and don't have a contract. We have three RCs over here in the UK.

The Project discourages regional contacts from thinking of themselves as event organisers. They aren't there to replicate the Burning Man event. And, to be honest, it bugs me that regional burns are springing up - that just happen coincidentally to be in a particularly remote location that's difficult to live in (oh, and you need to bring your own shade!)

I think there is a massive future for Burning Man as a social construct. A set of values and principles that provide a foundation for a way of life, with many hundreds of thousands of people simply agreeing to live their lives in accordance with some or all of those principles because they see it as better than some of the alternatives. Burning Man is no longer about the event - although that serves as a good example of what can be acheived. Its a way of life.

Russ
uk

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:31 pm

BM could expand way beyond what they have now if they wanted and aBLM would let them.

BM does almost no advertising, as far as ticket sales. I worked in Winnemucca for four years bedore I even heard of it. Word of mouth is about their only advertising,

open up Jungo / Sulfur road for more access, and send folks east across the playa to it. A grader in a weekend can make it passable very easily to even the cmallest of cars. In fact we take it every year from Winnemucca and have never hada problem.

Look at Sturgis - half a million people or more, there are lots of festivals that are way biger and offer less in the way of entertainment value.

I can see BM easily bringing in a hundred thousand people this year (2007) if the BLM would permit it. Nevada DOT already said tha the highway is no where near capacity. Its a self supporting event so all that is needed is more Fire suppression, medics and shitters for the increased capacity.

later all
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:12 am

what are the advantages of BIGGER???

mars

Post by mars » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:21 am

More people = more creative energy.

More creative energy = more inspiration.

Share the joy. Spread the joy.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:39 am

In the quest for world domination the numbers of people in key roles within governments, industries, and educational institutions is important to insure a smooth transition to “ Larry World “.

The BWB will help you work out what your role in the revolution should be.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:24 am

mdmf007 wrote:Nevada DOT already said tha the highway is no where near capacity.
What is NDOT smoking? Or do they have some definition of "capacity = parking lot" Everything I've heard about labor day on that road is scary, and I didn't like driving out and back the year I had to visit Scott in the hospital.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:16 am

We do pretty good with Exodus managing the lines. I've worked it. It does move. It's the "intenstines" part that keeps the digestive system flowing.

RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottiie Project

Neutrality

Re: BMorg's position on limiting population?

Post by Neutrality » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:25 am

Lo wrote:Hi,

I am mostly just curious about this topic,
In response to your question. BMORG is very concerned with limiting the population of our overcrowded planet, and requests that all surplus male burners immediately report to one of the free gelding stations located just behind the Esplanade. Thank you for your cooperation.

Blue Jester

Post by Blue Jester » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:16 pm

I thought that crazy lake bed many of us call home is the largest, flatest (maybe not a word) expance (cant spell) in north america. Theres gotta be some room left.
Rob the bank, give the money to the poor, then steal from the poor and shoot the money.......or something like that.

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:26 pm

Jester -

BLM's concern is span of control. I know the folks in Winnemucca and work with them quite often.

In the end the amount of Law available, EMS, FIRE, REMSA, logistics, and the need to evacuate should something happen is on their mind.

I could see BM easily passing 100K this year, hell 250K is possible all it takes is advertising.

jsut my 2 cents,

later all

naked_dan

Re: Advantages of bigger.

Post by naked_dan » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:58 pm

[quote="gaminwench"]what are the advantages of BIGGER???[/quote]

I agree - I don't think I'd want there to be the estimate I saw of 100,000 - 250,000 people, possibly projected to be at BM. I'm not sure that would enhance or really allow, a 'sense of community'. What do you think?

naked_dan

Burning Man as a city social construct.

Post by naked_dan » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:04 pm

[quote="kyoto"]I read in a transcript of one of Larry's talks that he would like the city to get a bit bigger so that it can really claim to be an experimental city, with all the usual issues of a city - ultimately so that we can show everyone what can happen when the community really is a community. But he didn't feel it was right to keep growing indefinately.

There are about 100 or so Regional Contacts. They're the people with contracts with the Project and have agreed to try to grow burner activity in their region. Obviously they work with lots and lots of other people who are not official RCs and don't have a contract. We have three RCs over here in the UK.

The Project discourages regional contacts from thinking of themselves as event organisers. They aren't there to replicate the Burning Man event. And, to be honest, it bugs me that regional burns are springing up - that just happen coincidentally to be in a particularly remote location that's difficult to live in (oh, and you need to bring your own shade!)

I think there is a massive future for Burning Man as a social construct. A set of values and principles that provide a foundation for a way of life, with many hundreds of thousands of people simply agreeing to live their lives in accordance with some or all of those principles because they see it as better than some of the alternatives. Burning Man is no longer about the event - although that serves as a good example of what can be acheived. Its a way of life.

Russ
uk[/quote] Hey, I can see this side of the argument as well for continuing the encourage BM to become larger and larger!

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:14 am

www.hotaugustnights.net

8 days -- 5000 art installations -- 700,000 ticketholders

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:42 am

Hot auguist nights isnt a very good example...Bob.
I live here in Reno, and have lived in This area for 30 yrs. Hot August nights IS fun, but I tell you, first ...they all commerce the hotels. Second they spread their monies all over Reno and Carson city and outlying area's acting like bigshots that we know their not at home. Some years there are sooo bad, bad eliments come to town, and ruined it for the rest of us...ie...you can no longer walk the streets in reno with a open cocktail. That sucked...I liked being able to walk accross to a different club without having to chuggalug my cranberry vodka...yuk.
And my cusin a very calm, gentile man ran into some shitfaced ass's and they started a fight with him, physical. It took him 3 yrs to even concider coming back.
Yes thats what happens when ya put a bunch of ego maniac's drunk in close quarters. Most of the events that are more darksided take place in Downtown(the strip) imagine 500,000 people in a 1 x 4 block area, add lots of "make me mean" whiskey...add my wife didnt give me any last night...and whalla...instant yucky!

Burningman should never be compared to something that is all about "one man ego'tictical I got the best ride you suck".

Burningman from what I can feel and see is the all mighty loving hippy centered art making love for one another event. I even feel wierd about the choice of word"event".
I really dont feel in my heart as its an event...I feel like its that 1.5 week where a wormhole in time fractures and lets us all go live in a paralell universe the way we really wish we could always live.

I think thats why its always sooooo hard coming back to the default world..hince the choice of words...default...where you HAVE to live...? I think not...yeah, I do the work routine, drive the kid to school stuff, but after this year...Ive become so much more involved in so many burner type social artist endeavors...that I just keep burning!!!!!!!!!Havent stopped !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:52 am

Yeah, let's see them all camp out in the desert.

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:29 pm

They do camp in the desert. They just do it closer to the interstate & the Indian tobacco store. And most of the art is actually street-legal.

geekster

Post by geekster » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:00 pm

BIGGER is better because that way you can say you were there when it was smaller which makes you cooler.

BIGGER is better because there is more woodwork to hide in so chances are you won't be seen again by the people who saw you breaking/tagging/stealing someone else's art/bike/tent.

I like the Pershing County blurb about law enforcement money:
Pershing County Sheriff, Ron Skinner, said such a specific agreement would leave him no way to cover the inevitable emergency situations that arise during the event, such as riots
BIGGER is better because you can have more numerous and spectacular riots.

Of course, a way to tame all of this is when someone is caught being a jerk-ass, you write their real name and city of default residence in sharpie on their forehead.

But really, it's all about the riots. We need better and more frequent riots and I think Larry should buy every camp a pony.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:05 pm

I think the authorities consider bestiality animal abuse,.... wouldn’t that make Larry culpable ,....

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:52 pm

Geekster, any chance you can cite the source of Skinners quote -

I am sory I missed all the Riots at BM - Damn it, nothing like a good old riot. ( ever heard of a riot at BM?)

I saw a fat naked guy on a bike - bet his bike doesnt get stolen!!!

later all

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:29 pm

I saw a fat naked guy on a bike - bet his bike doesnt get stolen!!!

That's odd-- I don't recall taking my clothes off...? :? :P

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:40 pm

But WE recall and it still hurts, it hurts.
Good luck with the job hunt, BAS.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:32 am

Zulegoona wrote:I think the authorities consider bestiality animal abuse,.... wouldn’t that make Larry culpable ,....
According to Nevada state law or California's?

Return to “Philosophical Center”