DUI Anyone????

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Donna S.

DUI Anyone????

Post by Donna S. » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:28 pm

Fellow Burners,

Let me share my first Burningman experence with you. I believe it was one that doesn’t happen to many and I’m hopeful someone out there can give me some information. Maybe you saw me out there, I was driving around on the eyeball. It took much time and effort to finally get the eyeball together and Wednesday afternoon it was ready. I hopped on for a test to see how the thing would handle. I got 10 ft. out of camp and the next thing I know, the BLM Rangers were pulling me over. They asked me to blow into the breathalyzer and before I could say “What’s going on???”, I’m handcuffed. . . DUI!!!

They dragged me to their Gerlach Station, fingerprinted me 4 (?) times, finally they dropped my off at my camp and made one of my friends sign for me. I never expected this to happen. People that witnessed this told me that it seemed excessive. They all agreed that the police seemed way out of line and was also told that some police liked to pick on women. Whatever the reason is, I’m in a pickle, they sent me a court date for the middle of October.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience? Can anyone help me to get in touch with a lawyer or someone who has delt with the Federal Court? I just need some advice. This is just so bizzare as a first time Burner who tried to be a true participant instead of a bystander. I need a little help and other than the ‘bullshit’, I loved the whole BM experience.

supersurly

Post by supersurly » Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:04 am

Were you wasted?

DogBoy
Location: Twins City, OR "The hardest place to find in Oregon"

Post by DogBoy » Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:57 am

What did you blow on the magic breath machine? If you were drunk (& by that I mean over the legal limit in NV) then no big surprise. If under, you may have a case.

I'm not familiar w/federal DUI laws. You may be able to argue that you were not on a public road, but then you were in BRC.

What were you actually charged with?

The advice given to me by my cousin (an officer in Seattle) was to always take the sobriety test IF you know you can pass it. This makes your defense stronger as the offc. then has to state you passed the test (assuming you do).
"All you need in this world is ignorance & confidence, and then success is sure." -Mark Twain

"Wickedness is a myth created by good people to account for the curious attractiveness of others." -Oscar Wilde

precipitate
Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Post by precipitate » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:14 pm

> I'm not familiar w/federal DUI laws. You may be able to argue that you
> were not on a public road, but then you were in BRC

In California, you're subject to the state's laws even while on Federal land.
I'm sure that's true in Nevada as well. There's no way that'll hold water.

> I never expected this to happen. People that witnessed this told me that
> it seemed excessive. They all agreed that the police seemed way out of

If they pulled you over, either they were watching you before you set out
and knew you'd been drinking, or your driving indicated that you might
be under the influence. I believe the Survival Guide, and I know the JRS,
mentioned that you can't drive while intoxicated at the event.

> also told that some police liked to pick on women.

Oh bullshit. They're mostly out there doing their job. And the fact that you
blew over the legal limit on the breathalyzer means they weren't picking
on you, you just got caught. For what it's worth, they're also entitled to
write tickets for operating a bicycle while drunk, but they mostly don't. Art
cars and other vehicles are a bigger safety issue.

> Whatever the reason is, I?m in a pickle, they sent me a court date for the
> middle of October.

Best advice is to get a good lawyer. Contact the American Bar Association
for a referral if you don't know anyone licensed to practice in Nevada. A
good lawyer will go a long way towards making this situation better for
you in the long run.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:05 pm

DUI Anyone???

No thank you I'll pass!

A II Z

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:03 pm

Remeber:

The rules haven't changed this year. BM is NOT a free-for-all zone and anyone driving mutated vehicles while drunk or altered are perceived as fair game by the LEOs. All approprite fed, stae, county laws apply here.

We're talking serious shit here folks.

I'm NOT kidding.

bullD

Post by bullD » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:12 pm

Isotopia wrote:Remeber:

The rules haven't changed this year. BM is NOT a free-for-all zone and anyone driving mutated vehicles while drunk or altered are perceived as fair game by the LEOs. All approprite fed, stae, county laws apply here.

We're talking serious shit here folks.

I'm NOT kidding.
Well said,

and,

yep, all true.

Icepack

Post by Icepack » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:23 am

Consider yourself lucky. Lucky you got caught before you damaged someone's art or camp or another vehicle. Lucky that in a pedistrian filled city you didn't injure or kill another human being. By removing you from the scene, they were protecting the city at large.

Yes, this is something you will have to live with for the rest of your life. It sounds like you didn't even know you were drunk. The fun thing about alcohol is that it impairs your judgement so even though "You should have known better", you couldn't know better because the booze was holding your brain hostage.

Go to court, be polite, be humble, be grateful, plea for mercy and forgiveness, and be grateful that it wasn't worse.

If this is your first offense, and your first arrest, they will hopefully go easy on you. Still, their version of "easy" may seem terrifying. Find someone who loves you, and cry on their shoulder.

You sound angry now. That's normal. It's a process of shock. It will take a long time to heal. But don't blame the rangers or the police. They were doing their job and protecting you and others from what could have happened if you really were drunk.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

burningflyer

Long Range Binoculars and the BLM

Post by burningflyer » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:04 pm

Unfortunately for Donna, she discovered the hard way that the BLM's guys are really good at busting folks for DUI's on the playa. It's one of their primary jobs out on that flat place where folks haul ass in all kinds of vehicles most of the year.

So remember when your tipping your beer, for all to see, someone is watching.

From afar they will see you with super duper binoculars, patiently waiting for you to take a little spin.

Then bammo their on you and your whole life will change.

So when dropping new friends at their Esplanade bar, an offer of a cool one and a shady reprise . . . take the soda . . . I'm glad I did!

burningflyer

stopped, searched & sobriety test

Post by burningflyer » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:56 pm

burningflyer

OK can't get the img thing

Post by burningflyer » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:21 pm

Dang Img thang . . . OK then, link to seven red wagons pulled over.

Funny now . . . scary at the time

http://geocities.com/wagon_train_2002_p ... 2-025.html

If your a licensed mutant vehicle then expect to be scrutinized by the LEO's. Your a rolling spectacle. You can be stopped at any time, check your DMV sticker, perceived unsafe act / vehicle, observed consuming adulterant . . .

Cheers

http://www.geocities.com/burningflyer/

MISN TX

Post by MISN TX » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:31 pm

Donna,
Yes, I too have had a moment of indescresion that has resulted in a DUI. Thankfully for us both, no one was injured and I hope and pray that the resulting penalties of our actions remind us both to not repeat that mistake again.

That being said, if you're in the Reno court you will most likely get $600 in fines, 72hrs of community service, 90days license revokation, be required to have alcohol awareness counciling, and an evening in front of the victim impact pannel. Its alot of work, and takes considerable time.

An excellent lawer that comes highly recommended to defend against Dui in reno is Bob Fahrendorf, tel 775-348-9999, and even got my friend out of a dui due to technicalities.

Best of luck,
MISN TX

hunter42

Stolen Art Car

Post by hunter42 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:24 pm

Our art car was stolen on Wed. night. They guys were caught but what was funny is the 40mph chase. I wouldn't have taken the car about 5mph.

burning tent

Sorry to hear it.

Post by burning tent » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:00 pm

Personally, I was struck by the police presence. For the most part they seemed cool but just having the uniforms around in such numbers took away from the experience for me. My neighbors were busted not once, not twice, but three times for pot by the BLM folks. I saw many people getting busted on the Esplanade too.

I can kind of understand wanting to keep drunk drivers from driving but the pot thing -illegal or not- just seems like shooting fish in a barrel. And even the proactive way they go after drunk drivers seems a bit much to me. There's a blurry line between doing their jobs and lining their coffers. Not to me, but I'm just saying.

My opinion is the cops should be there to enhance safety in the general sense, not preying on a population of party people.

burning tent

Sorry to hear it.

Post by burning tent » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:25 pm

Personally, I was struck by the police presence. For the most part they seemed cool but just having the uniforms around in such numbers took away from the experience for me. My neighbors were busted not once, not twice, but three times for pot by the BLM folks. I saw many people getting busted on the Esplanade too.

I can kind of understand wanting to keep drunk drivers from driving but the pot thing -illegal or not- just seems like shooting fish in a barrel. And even the proactive way they go after drunk drivers seems a bit much to me. There's a blurry line between doing their jobs and lining their coffers. Not to me, but I'm just saying.

My opinion is the cops should be there to enhance safety in the general sense, not preying on a population of party people.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Re: Stolen Art Car

Post by spectabillis » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:00 am

hunter42 wrote:Our art car was stolen on Wed. night. They guys were caught but what was funny...
... or the fact that its an ART CAR forfuckingchristsakes! How could you hide?

alcohol and fuckwits.

Return to “Stories”