installing art after the event

reefhugger

installing art after the event

Post by reefhugger » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:09 pm

ok i realize im dum in many ways. i had my questionnaire almost filled out and forgot to send it in the moment of truth to the art people. i just realized perhaps it would be a bad idea to drop all my shit off on the playa with the truck after the event starts...i cant find the art peoples email address anywhere.

my question for you beautiful fang toothed critters is can i drop my 32' worth of shit on the far end of the playa with the truck after it starts?? is there someone i should be telling this to in advance?? i dont want to run anybody over :(

meyouseek

Post by meyouseek » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:01 pm

Before Nervous Nelly and the Safety Patrol show up I'd just like to say that placing art on the playa is not a right granted only to the well-prepared pre-planners.

The only problems you'll encounter are when you drive the truck off the ring roads and out onto the open playa. Of course whoever cares will still have to

a) see you doing it
b) decide you're doing something wrong
c) stop and harass you

Even then they might just send you on your merry way. Hell, you're installing art at an art festival! Drive slow (duh!) and have fun.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:36 pm

Check out this Link for the Artery...the art placement team at Burning Man

http://www.burningman.com/installations/artery.html

In one of those paragraphs they say something like: "whether you've pre-registered or just walk-in..." On another link it says:

"Myth 4: If you don't register your art online, you can't install it.

You may bring art unannounced, but you must come to the Artery in center camp to register your project before you can set it up [see Myth 6]. We will map and place your art; you can tell us where you want to be placed but you must register it. "

So, upon arrival I'd park the truck and walk into the Artery and tell em you'd like to beautify the deep playa. Make sure your art is well-lit at night so people dont go banging into it. If you are using fire, make sure you've read all the regulations before heading out for thre Playa.

Good luck

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:48 pm

What they said.

For fuck's sakes, bring your art out there! Connect with the artery once you arrive, and they'll help you find a spot.

Cheers!

~Trilo~

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:08 pm

If things remain much the same as in the past, the Artery will issue a single day pass to drive your shit out, and a single day pass to pick your shit up.

We still did ours by bike and garden trailers.

Return to “2007 Art & Performance”