Contact Lenses

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
ragabashpup

Contact Lenses

Post by ragabashpup » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Hey kids I tried searching but didn't find anything about contact lenses. I am curious to any folks out there that wear them if there are issues with them and the playa dust? Any advice would be wonderful. I wear daily disposables btw so I was also wondering if I have to worry about the saline evaporating in the heat? :oops:

Sorry if this topic has already come up and been discussed my silly self just couldn't find it.

phil

Post by phil » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:44 pm

I've worn contacts for years, and I wear them on the playa. I have rigid semi-permeable lenses (I think).

I don't have any more problems on the playa than at home, but that is during the non -dust storm times. Dust storms, of course, cause problems. I either wear goggles (military goggles have worked best for me) or take the contacts out, as the case may be.

I have no idea what the concern is about saline evaporating in the heat, so I guess that a daily disposable issue.

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:52 pm

Okay I just wanted to make sure that it wasnt an issue for daily wear. I have military goggles from 06 and they worked well with my glasses on :)

So the contacts I have each come in their own lovely little packs. Each one has a small amount of saline in it (contact solution) to keep them damp. Average shelf life for them is one year.

Dork

Post by Dork » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:08 pm

In 7 years I only had one problem, some dust got under one lense right before I left at the end of the week. I decided to wait until I got to a clean bathroom to change it out, which was a mistake.

I just leave the same pair in the whole week. At home this would cause me problems, but for some reason out there it doesn't bother me. I do wear goggles most of the time during the day, but nothing heavy duty. Anything to keep the fast moving dust from hitting your eyeball directly is fine.

1) Do not rub your eyes! You'll just grind the dust in. Let your eyes clean themselves, if they don't do so quickly remove the contact and clean or replace it.
2) Before putting contacts in, wash your hands as best as you're able and go inside a tent or vehicle so you don't get dust blown on them.
3) Bring plenty of spares, and make sure you always have one more backup for the drive home.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:11 pm

I have the normal kind that you can leave in but supposed to take out at night. I take 'em out at night and never had a problem the past three years. Odd, with all that fine powdery stuff flying around, but I seem to do better on Playa with contacts and asthma than back home. Maybe too zombied out to notice when on Playa.

phil

Post by phil » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:19 pm

> Let your eyes clean themselves, if they don't do so quickly
> remove the contact

I think this last piece of advice is key - if your eyes don't flush that piece of grit off the lens fairly promptly, take the lens out before your lid is so irritated that your lens is uncomfortable even when properly wet and clean.

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:33 am

Thanks so much guys. Valuable advice.

pbmaniac2000

Post by pbmaniac2000 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:17 pm

I would suggest seeing if your eye doctor would give you a couple pairs of day and night contacts. They are the contacts that you can leave in for 30 days and nights. I have never had a problem with them on playa. I would suggest seeing if you eye doctor would give you a pair to wear for a couple weeks before burning man so your eyes can get used to them.

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:22 pm

So do you still take those contacts out when you go to sleep?

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:29 pm

Remember the lower oxygen at altitude.
You have to get oxygen through or around contacts depending on the type.

pbmaniac2000

Post by pbmaniac2000 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:37 am

ragabashpup wrote:So do you still take those contacts out when you go to sleep?
Nope they stay in 24/7. Have never had a problem with them.

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:14 pm

Wow crazy maybe I should look into that. I have napped with mine in a few times and when I wake up they are floating around a bit or stuck to part of my eye its gross.

5x5

Post by 5x5 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:58 pm

i have daily disposables. if you don't mind wearing your glasses if needed, bring both. i end up mixing, more contacts early on, more glasses later (it's dustier on the weekend, more people.)

i take them out at night (throw them away). the stored unopened ones last fine, bring rewetting drops in case your eyes get uncomfortably dry.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:12 pm

Bring your glasses just in case. You'll want to rip out your contacts on the way home anyway.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”