Tell Us Your Worst Burning Man Experience

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:55 am

AntiM wrote:
Let's see...

There was the year I had cancer, and everyone was wonderfully supportive. I was encouraged to share my story (they'll give you a pendant for participating!) and the fat drunk bitch in charge made me cry because "no one wants downers at Burning Man, go away, you're not fun."
Point her out to me, I'll kick her ass.

i would gladly be the avenging feet for that kick....

size 12 steel toe hob nailed boots at your service.
Frida Be You & Me

ourania

Post by ourania » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 am

Would five inch stilettos help?

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by PurpleKoosh » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:24 pm

I sent the following email to Mr.Koosh and my OSO* last year on August 24th:
OMG, this was, without question, the worst trip up I have EVER had.

The 90 minute delay getting past the RV fire north of Penryn was bad enough (though, admittedly, not as bad as it was for the folks in the RV). I then got to spend TWO GODDAMNED HOURS at the gate once I was on the property. (Early-arrival confirmations are being handled for the second year via bar coded emails. I expressly asked the Volunteer Coordinator for DMV when we would be getting our bar codes; she informed me - and, apparently, all of the other early-arrival Hotties - that we were just "on a list." Imagine my dismay when they asked me for my bar code. So I got to go out to a holding lot, wait for a supervisor to verify that I WAS on the list [and thank $DEITY it was someone I've camped with before and knew I was okay]...and then go back through the fucking line at the gate again.) It was probably 2200 before I got to camp...and they were all out partying, so I had no idea where I was supposed to set up. I wound up sleeping on a couch in someone's shade structure last night.

But I had my hot-air balloon ride to look forward to, right?

Think again. They can't take off with winds over 5 knots...and he was getting readings of three times that.

So back to camp I trudged, opened the instructions for my tent: "This outdoor equipment requires two people to set up."

I think we wound up with something like ten working on it. And it's anyone's guess whether or not it was actually set up RIGHT, 'cause we were doing it in the middle of a wind storm.

I managed to get my folding chairs set up under the canopy, and my card table and water in the tent proper. None of the rest of my gear is out of the truck yet; I'm still in the clothes I put on Saturday morning (which, of course, were the same clothes I put on Friday afternoon before driving up to Sac). I'm feeling radically UN-reliant, and really dreading being in the same camp with $NAME, because one high-maintenance person is already too many.

I'm scared, and upset, and I've never felt this WRONG out here before.
*OSO = Other Significant Other
(edited for BBCode fail)
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

Return to “Stories”