Trolls in hiding

All things outside of Burning Man.
ecliptic

Trolls in hiding

Post by ecliptic » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:34 pm

I was just graced with a pm from De Facto. I don't know this guy, but apparently he's still looking for attention. So I decided to give it to him. I suspect I'm not the only one this went to. You be the judge. Here it is in it's entirety:

It's kinda too bad you are not one of the original BM inner circle creators.
Accusatetors was not what the original philosophy of what BM was all about. (at least when I was attending)
I will stay off the message board for 2 weeks just to make you and your minority club look rather meak. I am not WSPR nor am I lacking in the insidiously ridiculous copulas and fatuous ways of you and your comates.

Soon you will see the blunders of your ways. (That is what I look forward to as always.)
I am not one that flaunts my intelligence in ways that are frivolous or there in the lacking. (an east coast thing.)

I would prefer that the assumtions were to be expostulate so that we can come to the conclusion that we are not at each others throats but looking to become a state of tranquillity with what each other has to say. (if you do not understand, that means over a beer sometime.)

I prefer that I be allowed to speak frankly, no assumtions be spawned.

My name as you know is Tony Thompson, hence the acronym DFTT (DE FACTO Tony Thompson, yes I got that), however it is not going to further your status by spoofing my presence on this message board i,e; Eplaya.

Please take note, everything that you folks post on this and other message boards are in the public domain hence they are documentented.

Any mistakes or misstatements you make will be ripe for the pickings. So, if you choose to confuse me with WSPR and others that have oppositioning points of views, I can guarantee you I will hop on the opportunity like a game of chess and leave you to hang dry. (again, I am not WSPR and do not agree with them.)

I will be posting this PM on the Eplaya message board as is.

Hope you dont mind.

ecliptic

Post by ecliptic » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:42 pm

Oh, and apparently he believes that "DFTT" was coined for him. I'm sure it's been used in reference to him. But De Facto, my take on that acronym is that it means: Dont Feed The Trolls. Not everything is about you.

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:02 pm

I have the same PM in my inbox.

TawnyGnosis

Post by TawnyGnosis » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:07 pm

Hahahahahahah, I think this guy is really "chunking" in disguise.
Heaven's going to burn your eyes

III

Post by III » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:09 pm

apparently i've been good enough at NFTT to not warant one of those.

it is funny though, in a really sad pathetic makes you wanna shoot him to put him out of his misery kinda way...
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

antron

Post by antron » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:34 pm

well, it's nice that he (and the others) have taken a break. the tone of this board has improved *dramatically* over the past couple of days. it even feels faster...

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:38 pm

I concede defeat. Post pulled.
Last edited by Kinetic II on Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

III

Post by III » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:03 pm

>I thought I'd just ask you about it.

ask me about what?

why i still care about the community, even though i no longer attend the event? or why i know what goes on there, even though i haven't attended? or whether i'm trying to drive traffic to my own board? or if i'm being the troll for another reason?

if you're going to ask a question, perhaps you should actually ask it...

foamin' at the mouth
Location: that fishing village designed by interior decorators

Post by foamin' at the mouth » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:24 pm

A few people in side chats have theorized that you are the troll, and are posting those tirades to drive traffic to your board.

As a participant in both, I am very skeptical that this is the case.

This place feels like it is a valuable resource service provided by Burningman to its community as a place to touch base on a number a varied things but generally specific to the event itself . Added bonus: one can occasionally connect with other individuals here. this is a useful tool that includes some beautiful insights, straight reporting and occasional hilarious barbs,etc., hidden amongst the current complaints of lonely bullies. This is supposed to be a wellspring for new things and connections no?

3 playa feels like an actual community but one that sprung out of this place and out of the mind of its builder as a solution to what that person saw as issues. Rather than just bitch about things he made something himself. (Very Burning Man, or so I thought, whether someone attends or not) It's less like a resource and more like a gathering of friends in conversation about a range of things. New people are welcome there too. Kind of a miraculous but hardly surprising in the context of the creative individual who put it together.

I would think the people who created this eplaya would be delighted that new boards crop up as the result of connections made here. Proves their concept.

Oh, and after spending a great deal of time constructing and maintaining a board wouldn't leave much time for writing flames. And I would be suprised because III is well, just a wittier writer than the indvidual you are referring to as a possible sock puppet.[/u][/quote]
I often heard the sorrel nag (who always loved me) crying out, ..."Take care of thyself, gentle Yahoo."

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:19 pm

I was wrong again...C, you were right.
Last edited by Kinetic II on Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

III

Post by III » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:48 pm

perhaps voicing unfounded and libelous accusations under the guise of "some people said" should be grounds for getting banned from the board.

after all, isn't that the primary complaint against wspr? what's the difference between his character assasinations, and this?

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:41 pm

Fucking hell...

I *almost* have more respect for someone who spells "documented" as "documentented" than for someone who consistently posts and then deletes those posts when someone argues successfully with them.

May I suggest, as a point of ettiquette, that you either A. think before you post or B. have enough balls to live with what you've said. Perhaps some combination of the two would serve you well.
It's all about the squirrels.

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:56 pm

It's not a matter of arguing...I seem to get shot down by Trey quite often. And frankly I grow tired of that.

I don't feel I'm making a valued contribution despite trying so why keep the failures up there for everyone else to see? I've got the luxury of yanking them so I do. I mean they were shot down and I was left exposed with no support...I don't like that position.

Look, I'm not going to get involved in this anymore. I simply want a board that is functional that has some basic discussions going on. It's not happening anymore, and all the bitching isn't making a difference.

So if Trey has ideas that will bring it back, go for it. I can't seem to get it done. I've tried all kinds of approaches, from avoiding some of the trolls to direct confrontation to even trying to get to know one of them. It's not working.

I need to get back to what makes BM special for me and it's not the eplaya. Thankfully there are 27,000 other people out there I can get to know and maybe I'll find more in that group that think simliar to me. I'm not finding what I want here. And there's no sense in trying to bring that here...as technopatra told me it's an impossible standard so I won't do it.

Anyway, I'm going back to my creative work and saying enough of this. Even De Facto took a 2 week break, he got sick of you guys. I think he was on to something.
Last edited by Kinetic II on Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drowned_saved

Post by drowned_saved » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:21 pm

delusions of grandeur...deep seated paranoia...messianic fantasies...galloping insecurities...idle threats...bungled language...

...i don't know what's happened, but this is really starting to feel like a community again.

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:52 pm

drowned_saved wrote:delusions of grandeur...deep seated paranoia...messianic fantasies...galloping insecurities...idle threats...bungled language...

...i don't know what's happened, but this is really starting to feel like a community again.
This is the only place I seem to run into that kind of stuff as of late.

drowned_saved

Post by drowned_saved » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:05 pm

Kinetic II wrote:
drowned_saved wrote:delusions of grandeur...deep seated paranoia...messianic fantasies...galloping insecurities...idle threats...bungled language...

This is the only place I seem to run into that kind of stuff as of late.
try taking the bus once in a while.

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:18 pm

Sorry, KC's mass transit system is a mess. I get to miss out on that experience.

Would riding the CTA's O'Hare Blue Line at 4 am count though? That's about as close to transit as I ever get.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:18 pm

Anybody still wondering why I avoid meetings?

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:21 pm

Bob wrote:Anybody still wondering why I avoid meetings?
Not me, I understand.

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:42 am

you get shot down and have that left to dangle feeling cause you don't think before you post and make these wild, unsupportable statements. don't blame the people who are merely pointing out the flaws in your logic.

the eplaya community is going to have to be saved as a group effort... this idea that *you* through some heroic effort could rescue it it is ludicrous. especially since your effort ususally consists of telling people to *cut it out*.

it's not your fucking problem to solve. it's not de fecto's fucking problem to solve or mine or trey's. the tech team needs to put some tools into place to make it easier for non-fuckwits to talk to eachother and not the fuckwits.

in the meantime there are places to converse and enjoy that feeling of community (not just talking 'bout 3playa and hplaya either). if you spent a fraction of the time participating in those communities that you do obsessing over the state of the eplaya, i bet you'd be getting more of what you need.

oh... and of course of you have the luxury of editing and yanking your posts. just as i have the luxury of *not fucking respecting* it at all.

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:49 am

Lydia:
1: As part of the etf, it is partially my "fucking problem to solve" along with quite a few others. I am simply exploring ideas and concepts to do my part.
2: My public posts are only part of my efforts to make things better for all, there is more that I do that remains unseen.

My obsessions are dance music remixes, mountain bikes, kayaks, and my girlfriend. Not the eplaya. This is simply a place to spend time and to help me prepare for the event. That's it.

And as for not thinking about making a post? I'm guilty of being emotional but there is some thought put into those posts. I'm sorry if you don't like what I have to say, last time I checked this wasn't a popularity contest or your private board.

But that being said it is nice to have a few of those ideas read and not ripped apart. Outside of the eplaya I am a valued member of many teams and groups and have a tremendous track record of success. But then again I have a more open minded group with less negativity to wade through that helps. Now I understand why the admins are so hesitant to change anything. They propose even a simple change and people are ready to rip their fucking heads off. That's my complaint...no good deed goes unpunished.

So with that I have one final thing to say.

(PLONK!!!!!) I don't need your negativity. If you can't contribute something meaningful, don't bitch. And last I checked, the eplaya task force was still open for anyone wanting to contribute. It's time to either step up or shut up.

Araceli

Post by Araceli » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:15 am

K, you haven't been on the 3playa lately? Lydia's trying to quit smoking and anybody doing that is not the most pleasant person to be around. Ignore the rants, it will pass.

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:01 am

<heavy sigh>

Archantael

Post by Archantael » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:03 am

K, your wasting time, get off the board. January 7th is closer than you think. I need you ready to go.

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:32 pm

(PLONK!!!!!) I don't need your negativity. If you can't contribute something meaningful, don't bitch. And last I checked, the eplaya task force was still open for anyone wanting to contribute. It's time to either step up or shut up.
bite my ass. you are the negativity bitch *king*. it's all whining all the time with you. you don't see anything meaningful in what i have to say? fuck off.

my part of "stepping up" for this community has been to stop talking to the trolls entirely and to limit my participation to dialogues with people who i think actually have something to say. I guess you ain't one now. tell ya what... we'll plonk *eachother*

Araceli - the *tone* of my posting might be influenced right now by nicotine withdrawl... but what I said was the truth as far as I see it. If you wanna dismiss it entirely, "ignore the rants" as it were (this being advice *to* Our Lord God and Master of Rants) then you can bite me too.

Kinetic II

Post by Kinetic II » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:37 pm

Lydia:
I had originally wrote a nasty reply but you know...this isn't like you. Your trying to quit smoking and that's one of the toughest things I've seen my friends go through. The last thing you need is any negativity from me.

So I'm going to ignore your rants up above and offer you hope and encouragement instead. I hope you beat this and I wish you the best of luck. You've got a strong team of people to lean on if you need help over on the other board. Don't hesitate to tap into them...they are good people.

foamin' at the mouth

Post by foamin' at the mouth » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:49 pm

K, you haven't been on the 3playa lately? Lydia's trying to quit smoking and anybody doing that is not the most pleasant person to be around. Ignore the rants, it will pass.
A: It's rather disheartening that, since you have been to the 3playa, the only thing you've chosen to call attention to amidst the rich food is a very minor amount of posts-maybe five when I checked this am???

And this is not to say that we are not all routing for Lydia's facing down her nicotene challenge. And we are very curious about what her experience will be. Forgive me for overstating the obvious. Just that she has had a lot more to say than that-both here and there.

For those of you who are new and may be wondering what's up and who Lydia is, may I suggest that you click on her name here on eplaya. Do and notice the following:She has a history of saying hello and responding with helpful comments to new folks as well as maintaing colorful banter with flks she knows. She has a lovely gift for self-deprecating humor without being tiresome....alas, I wish I could emulate that. She has the gift of gab. She is kind and generous.

If you read the 3 playa and here and maybe other places I don't know, you will discover that her writing can at times rival some of the greats--close to Bill Kittredge (occasionally I think she must be channeling Wallace Stegner.) Wow, I never expected that. And that's just her.

I know you are baiting here. I know it. So you hooked me good. My comments are more for the benefits of others, who like me, may be sitting on the verge of contributing and may feel intimidated by this seemingly opaque infighting . Don't listen. Anyway it's rather interesting don't you think folks. Yet another iteration on the commonly known behaviors of us "silly monkeys who can type."
2: My public posts are only part of my efforts to make things better for all, there is more that I do that remains unseen.

K: While you think your intentions are good , your actions are often opaque to me. Granted I'm new and just like to chat. But you make vague promises and infer all kinds of activity yet I can rarely tell what you are referring to. Furthermore, you indirectly attacked III in a very trollish way (and I think I'm using the proper definition-Bob's) by not asking him questions directly and then you yanked the post after a response. Bait and switch is what that feels like, baby. Gotta be more balls out than that to have peoples' respect for whatever your efforts may be.

I'll be a little balls out here and tell you what I mean. Although I have read stuff by you here and on 3playa--watched other people route for you during your personal battles with family illness, and even appreciated your very pragmatic and useful suggestions to others around health related issues and the like--when it comes to this issue around the boards you feel like the egomanial troll and not the fixer you think. I wonder sometimes whether you are all the trolls and you have made them so you can be some kind of hero, or whether you are some sociology students sock puppet. "Let's introduce this variable and see what happens-can't wait to deliver my paper at the AAA next year."
It's not a matter of arguing...I seem to get shot down by Trey quite often. And frankly I grow tired of that.

But your post, the one that you pulled from this thread, was pregnant with judgements which you claimed were not your own- about his attendance to the event and about some notion that he was the troll. You claim personal attack and yet you do that and now someone else personally attacks Lydia-not in a big way but nonetheless in a judgemental way that has nothing to do with a point of view or and idea.
Then you back out and claim personal attcaks on you and refer to some "c" person "Being right" who doesnt appear to to be participating in this public conversation--but someone you know offline -which reads, to me, like you want us to think there is some inside track.

Do you treat your other friends that way-in the real world?

I'm really still very happy about the fact that I've made a bunch of new friends and hope others that hit this thread first wont be discouraged from doing the same thing, nor make judgementss about the individuals concerned before readding a little of what they have to say/contribute.
I often heard the sorrel nag (who always loved me) crying out, ..."Take care of thyself, gentle Yahoo."

ZenRascal

Post by ZenRascal » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:00 pm

... egos ... <-- candidate for the list

An interesting excercise is to observe first-person usage in posts ... i.e. "I" ... "my" ... and the like

Kinetic II

No Comment

Post by Kinetic II » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:19 pm

Sometimes the best response is no response. So besides acknowledging I read the posts above, for the moment I have no comment.

foamin' at the mouth

Post by foamin' at the mouth » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:39 pm

Sometimes the best response is no response. So besides acknowledging I read the posts above, for the moment I have no comment.
Kinetic, that's exactly the kind of superciliousness I'm referring to.

Return to “Open Discussion”