HexaYurts

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
mikep_95133

Postby mikep_95133 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:49 am

Hi Connie,

I did see that yurt city. I spoke to the guys there. 38-40 yurts he told me. I think he said they were 1.5 or 2 inch foam boards. All exactly the same. Yeesh.

There were a few yurts that lifted up and moved. Please look at my blog for how I did my anchoring. Zero movement in any direction because of the design. Easy to add to a standard yurt. The wind barely moved anything even with the huge shade structure attached to the yurt via the center pole.

My roof rack that you and Cowboy inspired worked very very well!! It carried a couple hundred pounds of stuff!

My yurt did fine starting when we set it up Saturday. My pole was used to primarily support the 16 x 20 shade structure above it. Which doubled as a rain structure ;). I did add brass hooks to the pole to hold our Camelbaks, hats,many flashlights, and a coat & vest. I used dry playa piled up around the perimeter to keep the rain out after some leaked under the one wall. It's absorbent but also turns into a sticky clay that worked ok for sealing out the water. My floor tarp is just nailed flat to the ground. We did throw a tarp over a couple of walls to help deflect some of the rain, but it actually gathered the water after it shed it. So it was not that helpful.

Mike

kman

Postby kman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Connie- Sorry I missed you as well. I often left camp, but didn't manage to write down the various addresses and locations I had meant to before I lost internet access, so I didn't know where most of the people I wanted to visit were... oops!

Here are some shots of what you missed. ;) We had 5 6' HexaYurts in our group. I'll see if I can dig up some interior shots later, as well, although I know I didn't take many.

ConnieH

Postby ConnieH » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:50 pm

Nice pics kman - if we go with a hexayurt next year, I may upgrade to the 6 foot walls (bf has a bus that we may fix up, still debating that one). Mike, I'll check out your blog - sorry I didn't come see you, we went by your area a couple times but it was late at night and we were on a mission (Mutayor!). It was lovely meeting you and Jackie - so glad your rack worked out!

mikep_95133

Postby mikep_95133 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:10 pm

It was great meeting you too Connie. I love my yurt and shade structure to pieces! But I think a motorhome is in my future next year.

Mike

Rilopie
Burning Since: 2008

Postby Rilopie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:59 am

The bf and I have decided to build a hexayurt this year, and are so freaking excited. He's been to burning man about 7 or 8 times and has been in no hurry to get back for the past few years, mainly because of his sensitivity to the heat.... (We are pretty spoiled by our constantly mild weather here in the Bay Area). So when we read up about the yurt we got super pumped and are already planning for 2011!

So my big concern is about the stability of the thing. I'm pretty much a control freak and I am terrified that some drunk raver will fall onto our yurt and destroy it or something. How fragile are the panels? Could someone lean on it and crush one side?

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:08 pm

never thought of someone falling on it and crushing it. They are pretty sturdy and tied down, but i guess it could happen. We cut windows in ours and some of them fit REAL tight so you had to kind of force it open or press it shut-didn't have any issue with the walls while doing that.

ConnieH

Postby ConnieH » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:50 pm

Rilopie wrote:... I am terrified that some drunk raver will fall onto our yurt and destroy it or something. How fragile are the panels? Could someone lean on it and crush one side?

It could happen. Bring extra tape for any needed repairs ;) We always maintain an ample pathway between our yurt and the next dwelling so people aren't trying to squeeze past it. And we generally have "stuff" around the outside perimeter - extra water jugs, plastic totes, tools, kitchen set up - that creates a barrier. You could park your car against one side, too. I was most worried this year over the possibility of a drunk camp mate tripping over my swamp cooler and tearing it out of the wall (didn't happen luckily!). But if you have enough stuff around it and solar lights lighting your tie downs, you should be fine. Someone leaning on it isn't going to take it down, but someone falling full force against it might.

kman

Postby kman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Of course, someone falling full force against a tent is likely going to snap some poles and cause serious damage, too.

If you absolutely need 100% reliability against stupid, unlikely amounts of damage, you're going to have to spring for an RV. (which will be hotter than a yurt, any time you're not running the AC, which is very expensive to run)

As far as I'm concerned, the yurt is the best open on the playa at the moment, short of a money-is-no-object RV.

Rilopie

Postby Rilopie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Even if we had the option of taking an RV (which we totally don't), I think we would still opt for the yurt.
I'm just too much of a worry wort for my own good sometimes, haha. But I think if i put schtuff and solar lights around the perimeter I will be feel better.
And you are totally right kman, someone could just as easily tumble onto a tent and break it!

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Postby Oldguy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:35 pm

kman, nice setup.

I can see how an airlock or portal room can be setup in front (with doors lined up) to shield inner-sanctum. Interior walls would have double insulation.

kman

Postby kman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:42 pm

Oldguy wrote:kman, nice setup.

I can see how an airlock or portal room can be setup in front (with doors lined up) to shield inner-sanctum. Interior walls would have double insulation.

It could be done, but it would lack the structural rigidity of the round (ish) yurt itself, and be much more vulnerable to serious wind devastation without significant engineering and reinforcement.

Unless you have a whole group of people, of course. :) With our group's 5 yurts, we've given serious consideration to laying them out in such a way that we have all yurts literally up against each other with a central area in the middle. If we then added one more yurt, it would essentially be a communal "living room" and then we'd each have separate "bedrooms". Sort of a "yurt cluster".

This would let guests have an area to hang, and a "dusty room", while the private bedrooms were more shielded from, well, everything.

Of course, you really need 6 yurts to make that happen, so it won't work for everyone. But it would be cool. :)

tinkywinkybutch

Hexy is Sexy!

Postby tinkywinkybutch » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:41 pm

Kman, I totally met a girl from your group, I believe her name was Ashley...
I was a first timer this year, and I have to say I had many the seasoned vet in my camp jealous of our Hexayurt. We painted the outside of ours to try to avoid the "glare" from our neighbors with some grass and some flowers and butterflies. It unfortunately resulted in a lot of people thinking our home was an art piece and popping in every once in a while, sometimes during very private moments (if those can exists on the playa) so we then put a "private" sign on our door.

a note on the rain- if you were using R-Max, there were grooves in the material that we found the rain would run down and then under the tape and down the inside of our walls. we were able to fix this situation after the first rainstorm on saturday by using caulking in the grooves. ( I am totally a pro-caulker now)

I only put 4 vents (2 on 2 of the walls) think I should put more and perhaps something like this on the roof next year:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber

Kman I have two questions, If we add 2 ft to ours next year, how do we ensure the structural integrity? and what did you make your swamp cooler out of?

Much appreciated! 4e weeks to go...
[/img]

kman

Re: Hexy is Sexy!

Postby kman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:09 pm

tinkywinkybutch wrote:Kman, I totally met a girl from your group, I believe her name was Ashley...
I was a first timer this year, and I have to say I had many the seasoned vet in my camp jealous of our Hexayurt. We painted the outside of ours to try to avoid the "glare" from our neighbors with some grass and some flowers and butterflies. It unfortunately resulted in a lot of people thinking our home was an art piece and popping in every once in a while, sometimes during very private moments (if those can exists on the playa) so we then put a "private" sign on our door.

a note on the rain- if you were using R-Max, there were grooves in the material that we found the rain would run down and then under the tape and down the inside of our walls. we were able to fix this situation after the first rainstorm on saturday by using caulking in the grooves. ( I am totally a pro-caulker now)

I only put 4 vents (2 on 2 of the walls) think I should put more and perhaps something like this on the roof next year:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber

Kman I have two questions, If we add 2 ft to ours next year, how do we ensure the structural integrity? and what did you make your swamp cooler out of?

Much appreciated! 4e weeks to go...
[/img]

A lovely tall redhead? She's a wonderful, dear friend. She was in the one of the yurts as well.

It wasn't just the occasional groove in the R-Max, the tape seal is surprisingly imperfect as well. I can see how caulking would help, although do you remove it for next year? Odds are the next 7 years or so will be bone dry, so perhaps a non-issue.

I only had two small vents (plus the hole for the swamp cooler) in mine... you can see one in the swamp cooler photo, above. (and the placeholder pieces in the first photo, where they hadn't gone in yet) I don't think 4 would be needed or even helpful. During the worst dust blows, playa was clearly coming in right through the filters. Not in massive quantities, but enough to see that fewer holes are better.

The roof cap idea has been on my list of ideas to explore, but the same concerns apply re dust infiltration. Especially on something nearly horizontal.

Adding the 2' sections is very simple, and doesn't really affect structural stability. The tape is strong, long and straight, so it does quite well with becoming a solid extension to the existing walls. The biggest affront to the yurt's structural rigidity is the door. The bigger the door, the worse things are, but just on that one panel. I'll be replacing my door panel next wear, and going with a slightly smaller (and simpler shaped, like the green door in the photo) one to try to help with this.

Swamp cooler thread is here: viewtopic.php?t=33842

And while it was lovely and helped some, I think I got more help from the fans than the swamp cooler itself. Next year I might bite the bullet and buy a genny, and pick up a cheap Walmart real AC unit for cooling. With no genny, though, and just the marine batteries/solar for power, the swamp cooler is a nice addition.

mikep_95133

Postby mikep_95133 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:11 pm

If anyone is interested I am selling my Yurt and the shade structures. The Yurt has worked perfectly the last 2 years at BM. The shade structures are new for this year. Contact me if you are interested in not having to make your own Yurt. My Yurt has several unique features such as a ropeless anchoring system that will not allow the Yurt to move in high winds. My Yurt also uses large #10 zippers and canvas hinges for assembly. Any one of the three of the roof panels hinge wide open for ventilation. So no fans or battery's were ever needed. Only a few yards of cheapo tape are required to seal the Yurt. No tape is required for structural requirements. That saves a lot of cash spent on tape each year as well as set up time and waste. Far less people are required to stand this Yurt up. I've done it several times with just 2 people in 15 minutes.

The Yurt build process is documented in my blog. I've added a nice 8 sided pole to hang many things from to keep the clutter down. The interior is decorated with a white parachute and led light strings. People always commented on how inviting it looked inside.

blog: http://rotordesign.com/bm/

email: mikep_95133 at yahoo.com

Key Man

Postby Key Man » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:21 pm

After getting home I saw that my Hexayurt needed some repair and clean up before getting put away for next year, so I decided to go for it and install a better door while I was at it. AIt took most of the weekend and about 12 trips to the hardware store, but I'm quite happy with the result and thought I'd share.

Mine was the "standard" 16 foot model, with 6 4x8 wall panels, one of which had a "doggie door" that hung from a tape "hinge", exactly as recommended on the hexayurt site.

On the right hand half of the wall panel with the door, I reinforced the inside and outside (and the door itself) with 1/4" plywood. (I didn't cover the whole panel, because it would have been too much weight.) I hung the two standard door hinges and used top and bottom turn hasps to lock it from the inside and keep it rigid. It doesn't lock on the outside, but I plan to use one of those adjustable "window casement rod" things that are used to hold windows open in a certain position. That would let me prop the door open without letting it flop around in the wind.

The door handles are centered top to bottom, to minimize flexing when the door is opened or closed. I painted the inside of the door silver so it would not heat up so much when open.

I mounted a ring plate near the top left of the door, as an additional point to stake to the playa. Since the right hand half of the Rmax panel is sandwiched with plywood, it is much heavier than the left hand portion and in a strong wind, the mid point of the panel might flex and become damaged. The additional anchor point will help keep the panel rigid and still.

All the wood pieces were painted with shiny silver spray paint. It's very reflective and matches the aluminum panels well.

If I was doing it over again, I'd trim the wood panels a few inches below the roofline, to make taping easier. But I'm very pleased with the way it turned out, and can't wait to test it next year. Here are photos; outside and inside.

kman

Postby kman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Nicely done. KeyMan!

How heavy is the whole door assembly (and the inside panel, too, I guess)?

Does the door have rmax sandwiched in it, or is it just wood? And how playa-proof do you think the closed door will be?

Rilopie

Postby Rilopie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:00 pm

I was talking to a friend the other day about my boyfriend and I building a hexayurt at this years burning man...He said that some former camp mates tried it one year and said it was like an oven inside, but they could have done something wrong.
My question is what could've gone wrong? Or does the hexayurt turn into an oven just like a tent does throughout the day?

LindseyRaeFace

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Just made a 1:12 scale model of a yurt at work.
Cant wait to make the real one!

I have too much time on my hands. :D

lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:20 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/quote]Just made a 1:12 scale model of a yurt at work

lol that is what I did at work last year when I decided to go yurt

lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:22 pm

I haven't stayed in a tent at BRC but the yurt got a little warm during the day but nothing to bad. There are a lot of people on here who have modified theirs with roof vents and little swamp coolers, etc. We did make windows so when there was a cross breeze (not dust storm) we got a nice little flow going...

LindseyRaeFace

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:21 am

lucky420 wrote:I haven't stayed in a tent at BRC but the yurt got a little warm during the day but nothing to bad. There are a lot of people on here who have modified theirs with roof vents and little swamp coolers, etc. We did make windows so when there was a cross breeze (not dust storm) we got a nice little flow going...

We stayed in a tent the past 2 years and were fine, last year even dust free at the end of the week. I like the idea of having a place that will stay cooler in the mornings and wamer at night. A chill safe spot to escape dust storms when needed. Once we get it built I will decide exactly how I want to do the ventilation. I am building a solar generator this year so lights and some sort of circulating air is possible. Not sure if I want to go swamp cooler or mini AC. Still have research size, price, labor etc.

thats what I do wit my spare time at work though. ;)

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:16 am

My new cooler design will work perfect for a yurt.

The updates and specific cost and instructions on "How to build" will be in "Cooling your tent or van" thread once I finish tweeking it. :)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

LindseyRaeFace

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:23 am

Rad, thanks :)

chongman99

Free hexayurt, used and slightly damaged.

Postby chongman99 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I am not going to burning man this year and am moving away so I am getting rid of my burning man hexayurt. It needs to be gone by June 15, 2011.

It uses the R-tuff board from Home depot. One side is shiny. The thickness is 2 inches. The walls are each 4x4 feet, so this is the smallest design. Edges have tape from last year (tape not in not great condition, but workable for another year of you are lazy).

The damage is that in transport back from the playa, one of the roof piece split in half, but did not tear one side of the foam backing material. I think it can be easily fixed with tape and a splint. ALso shows wear and tear of being strapped to top of my jeep.

It's free. I can help you load it, but you have to take it. The panel materials themselves cost about $200 if purchased new.

I live in Berkeley, CA.
my phone (which will be removed from this post when someone takes the hexayurt) is 607-241-0360.

Best, G

tip, I transported it to burning man strapped to the top of my jeep, which will work, but is not so great. Better if you have a box van (or car that fits 4x4 panels).

chongman99

Postby chongman99 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:38 pm

(Free Hexayurt Taken)

Thanks, but the free hexayurt (above post) has been taken. Unfortunately, eplaya doesn't allow edits to old forum messages, so I can't remove the above post to say it has been taken.

-G

nicupson

Center Pole Question

Postby nicupson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:57 am

Ok - there is *so* much cool information on this site, but since I'm at work and trying to do this research covertly 8) I was wondering if anyone has managed to build (successfully) a hexayurt with a center pole protruding out the top of the hexayurt and used as a flag pole?

I would imagine that it might weaken the structural integrity of the the hexayurt, but I'm no engineer/math wizard, so I am putting my question out there for those who are. :D

First time burner getting SUPER excited about going!!!!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Actually, that wouldn't weaken the yurt from a structural standpoint, as there is a gap at the top large enough to probably accommodate a flag pole. After you assemble the roof, I'd suggest someone get back underneath it and cut the whole through the tape for the pole. Just make sure the pole will reach from the floor of the yurt so that the structure itself isn't supporting the weight.

BUT the biggest consideration would be the WIND. I'm not sure that if you got a wind storm out there that is whipping at the flag, that the flagpole wouldn't do considerable damage to the roof. Those lateral forces from the pole might be the deal breaker with the flag pole idea.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

ConnieH

Postby ConnieH » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:59 pm

jkisha wrote:BUT the biggest consideration would be the WIND. I'm not sure that if you got a wind storm out there that is whipping at the flag, that the flagpole wouldn't do considerable damage to the roof. Those lateral forces from the pole might be the deal breaker with the flag pole idea.

We were going to put a small weathervane on top of ours, but haven't found the right one yet. Possibly if the flag doesn't stick up too far, it could work, and maybe you could fashion some kind of stabilizer that you could tape to the roof around the pole-hole on the inside to keep the pole from thrashing the tips of the roof panels

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:27 pm

ConnieH wrote:
jkisha wrote:BUT the biggest consideration would be the WIND. I'm not sure that if you got a wind storm out there that is whipping at the flag, that the flagpole wouldn't do considerable damage to the roof. Those lateral forces from the pole might be the deal breaker with the flag pole idea.

We were going to put a small weathervane on top of ours, but haven't found the right one yet. Possibly if the flag doesn't stick up too far, it could work, and maybe you could fashion some kind of stabilizer that you could tape to the roof around the pole-hole on the inside to keep the pole from thrashing the tips of the roof panels

Maybe you could. I don't know. But it's not only the roof tips I would be concerned about, if there were enough force, well just picture it yourself. If you were a giant, and could grab that pole and start moving it violently back and forth, might it not only have an effect on the roof at the point of it being connected to the walls? But a weather vane goes around in circles, so maybe lateral forces would be equalized?

Another thought is that weather vanes (some at least) tend to be a bit noisy. And you will be trying to sleep in that yurt too I assume.

Those are just my thoughts. You're thinking about all the positive stuff, I'm trying to think of all the negative stuff. Better considered now than on the playa.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

nicupson

Postby nicupson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:13 pm

I like the visual of a 'giant' grabbing the pole and banging it around. That's kindof what I was thinking might happen.

Hmmm.... maybe a really *little* mini flag? I'm assuming no one has actually gone ahead and *tried* the whole 'pole-sticking-out-of-the-top' of the yurt thing before. (At least none of the pictures I have seen show yurts with center poles). What if you tie the pole down in several different directions over the top of the yurt roof down to where the yurt is tied down as well? (Does that question even make sense?)

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”