Tents

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
pinkponies

Tents

Post by pinkponies » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:22 pm

I am planning on attending this years festival with a friend and it is the first time for both of us. We have been reseraching tents and ive been getting conflicting information from differant retailers as to weather ot not they can withstand the wind. Does anyone know which tents can and which cannot?

Last Real Burner

Home sweet tent....

Post by Last Real Burner » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:58 pm

You obviously, did not go here http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewforum.php?f=8

"It is impossible to lick your elbow."
covertly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Tents

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:41 pm

I've had a regular 2 person dome tent out for 2 months solid out there. It's all about REBAR REBAR REBAR!

The cabin tent that I had up in 99 taught me that the higher the profile, the more important AIR FLOW is during a storm. To withstand the maniacal winds, keep the windows and screen door unzipped and you'll be fine. I just put an old sheet over the bed, and when I came "home" after work I just pulled the sheet (covered in dust) off of a clean bed. It worked well.
In 2000 a nice neighbor closed all my windows and door as a windstorm was approaching (I was at work) and it destroyed my tent. Nice thought, bad consequences.

Other than that, read the Survival Guide.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

Reeve

wind and tents

Post by Reeve » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:03 pm

Most can withstand wind...its how u stake it down that is important...and provide a breezeway for larger tents...for the love of the playa please stake it down really good with some rebar bent into an U shape..dont use the stakes that came with the tent..they are too short and week..a good storm will turn your tent into an kite!

be sure to scotch guard your tent and wash it well when u get home..or the next year the alkaline playa dust will weaken the tent and it will tear to ribbons....

Cheers
Reeve
"its piss clear not piss forever!"

Mayfield

Post by Mayfield » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:28 pm

I've heard that Springbar tents are the best. Supposably they are professional grade and specifically made to handle heavy winds.

http://www.kirkhams.com/springbar/springbar.html

FWIW.

I'm not partial to tenting it. As I've said before, I've tented plenty in my life and don't go out to BRC for camping, I go there for the city and the art (and the parties) and to help create BRC and as such I prefer the shelter of a vehicle. But that's just me. I think tenting it is great for those who choose to do so. I tented it for 2 weeks in 2001 and 2 months in 2002 and that was plenty for me.
Mayfield Jukes

Breeding for Revenge.

Mayfield

Thought on opinions and info

Post by Mayfield » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:29 pm

For me I never mind reposting information I've given out before. the Eplaya can be intimidating to new folks and a new thread each year for certain subjects or even a few threads on the same subject don't bother me much. it's about community and I believe in helping folks out when I can. IMHO.
Mayfield Jukes

Breeding for Revenge.

webapalooza

I lucked out in 2003

Post by webapalooza » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:06 pm

Believe it or not, I went to my first burn in 2003 with an Eddie Bauer 6-person tent (bought at Target for $75). It has a 6' center, and although I brought plenty of 2' rebar to stake it down with, I wound up using the 1' stakes that came with it (6 in all). The tent stood up fine in the wind! I even kept the windows and doors closed 99% of the time, and the tent suffered no damage at all. In fact, I plan on using it again in 2004!

Best to get a half-way decent tent, but not spend so much that you'll be pissed if it rips to shreds. I don't think you need to spend over $100 on a tent. Another tip: pitch your tent right near a high-profile truck or van (preferably on the non-windward side). Let the vehicle block the wind for you. I didn't even do that, and like I said my tent survived perfectly (not so much as a zipper out of line).

Good luck!
If you try, you may fail. But if you do not even try, then you have already failed.

Icepack

Re: I lucked out in 2003

Post by Icepack » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:06 pm

[quote="webapalooza"]Believe it or not, I went to my first burn in 2003 with an Eddie Bauer 6-person tent (bought at Target for $75). It has a 6' center, and although I brought plenty of 2' rebar to stake it down with, I wound up using the 1' stakes that came with it (6 in all). The tent stood up fine in the wind! I even kept the windows and doors closed 99% of the time, and the tent suffered no damage at all. In fact, I plan on using it again in 2004!
quote]

Where were you camped? With a theme camp, or on your own somewhere? Did you drive or fly from Rochester?
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:26 am

I dunno, it's hard for me to trust little tentstakes after experiencing the playa wind....perhaps a simple insurance measure would be to bring ONE rebar stake, pound it in good, and run a stout line to your tent so that if it DID become a box kite, it at least wouldn't end up in Gerlach.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:48 pm

Mercy, mercy, mercy... why rebar stakes are still some kind of gold fucking standard is beyond me.

http://www.geocities.com/potatotrap/tech/rebarfaq.htm
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”