"Playa Staples" effective? (not rebar)

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
dewnorth

"Playa Staples" effective? (not rebar)

Post by dewnorth » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Does anyone have experience with using "Playa Staples" (hand-made by a burner)? There's tons written about rebar. But I'm hoping people can comment specifically about their experiences with Playa Staples.

They come in 2 lengths. Which length have you used, and what were they used for? Pounded in straight, or at a 90 degree angle to the ropes? Easy enough to pull out? They come in 2 thicknesses--did yours bend?

Comments? Criticism?

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:31 pm

They look plenty effective if you can afford them

I would go with the longer ones

90 degrees perpendickular to whatever stake you are tying rope to is always the best bang for the buck.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:36 pm

I've heard good things about the staples. The only downside is that last time I checked they wouldn't ship the large size of the two because they didn't know how much to charge for shipping. That was a couple of months ago and my shelter plans changed so I haven't checked back. YMMV

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:03 pm

If the legs of the staple are in line with the plane of the rope, pound in vertically.

If the legs of the staple are orthogonal to the plane of the rope, pound in at the appropriate angle to maintain a normal to the rope.

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:37 pm

You got me curious so I went back to check the status and...

"Thank you for your interest in Playa Staples, however due to demands we have decided to stop accepting orders to make sure all current orders are shipped in a timely manner and that the project this is helping to support gets done.

If possible we will accept more orders, to be placed on a waiting list please send me an email.
Thank you
The Iron Monkeys "

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Re: "Playa Staples" effective? (not rebar)

Post by geospyder » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:50 pm

dewnorth wrote:Does anyone have experience with using "Playa Staples" (hand-made by a burner)? There's tons written about rebar. But I'm hoping people can comment specifically about their experiences with Playa Staples.

They come in 2 lengths. Which length have you used, and what were they used for? Pounded in straight, or at a 90 degree angle to the ropes? Easy enough to pull out? They come in 2 thicknesses--did yours bend?

Comments? Criticism?
I ordered and received the 'short' ones. As thick as they are (quarter inch square) I don't see any way that they will be bending. I'll be trying them out during the weekend of August 14-16 while camping in the woods. I plan to drive them straight down. I'm also bringing a gad bar to help remove them. My only complaint and it is an extrememly minor one, is that since they are forged metal, be careful handling them the first time since your hands will become black.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Token

Post by Token » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:53 pm

If the legs of the staple are in line with the plane of the rope, pound in vertically.

If the legs of the staple are orthogonal to the plane of the rope, pound in at the appropriate angle to maintain a normal to the rope.

Token

Post by Token » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:53 pm

Digital stutter

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:47 am

You would need a pretty big stapler, huh?

[youtube][/youtube]

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:22 am

They look cute, but if you want to make something similar for playa-type soil, I'd opine that the long taper at the tips is unnecessary and reduces the holding power.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”