driving rebar

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

driving rebar

Post by swampdog » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:43 pm

I used to have a problem driving rebar - the top end is so small and when I'd hold onto the shaft I was as likely to bust my knuckles as drive it in.

The answer I came up with is something I call the tee-knocker. I got a 1 inch, 1 foot long threaded length of galvanized pipe (called a pipe nipple) at the big box hardware store. I got a threaded tee-fitting to match it and screwed the 1' length onto the tee so it looks like, well, a narrow T.

Now to drive rebar I slide the shaft of the tee-knocker down over the rebar. and drive away. I've got a bigger target to hit, and a safe place to hold on while I get the thing started.

Dead simple, less than $10 at the big box hardware store for both pieces. Save your knuckles, drive rebar faster, what's the downside?

*note - for my structure most of the rebar needs to stick out 1', so a 1' length of pipe suits me fine. You can get shorter lengths if you want to drive the rebar deeper.

** Yeah, I know. "pipe", "shaft", "nipple", even "drive". go ahead, if you must.

*** the tee can wear out over time, but for all but the biggest camps it oughta be good for at least one burn.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:47 pm

*holding breath, eyes watering, nose running, sweating, waiting for someone other than myself to chime in*.......

*on the verge of gigglemania*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:41 am

Nipple.. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... :shock:
-AJ )'(

trenton

Post by trenton » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:29 am

Hey AJ that bra looks like bait and switch,
To drive rebar just swing your hammer and dont hit your fingers Its not rocket science or us construction workers would be at the top of the food chain!!!!

swampdog

Post by swampdog » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:56 am

Hmmm. Perhaps as you climb the evolutionary ladder the physical coordination required to drive rebar declines in importance while more "rocket science" abilities become more important. So we can call this a theme project as well as a cheap handy tool to help me build my camp.

Thanks for the insight!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:57 am

Put down the beer, OP. Wait until you have your little shade structure built before you hit the old mead horn.

Use a pair of vise grips to hold the rebar and don't use a hammer heavier than you can control.

Jiva

Post by Jiva » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:16 am

swampdog wrote:Hmmm. Perhaps as you climb the evolutionary ladder the physical coordination required to drive rebar declines in importance while more "rocket science" abilities become more important. So we can call this a theme project as well as a cheap handy tool to help me build my camp.

Thanks for the insight!
If you want rocket science, this man's solution is pretty much at the apex of rebar-driving automation:

http://www.litebrite.org/rebarhammer/
[color=#ECE3BA][size=75]Stay home; the man will burn without you.[/size][/color]

swampdog

Post by swampdog » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:22 am

Jiva - oooh, me likey! I've only got 30 or so rebar to drive, so I can't justify the cost, but it's sure fine. Maybe by the time I get my rebar in I'll be as good at it as Trenton.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”