Opinions for noob

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
gerlachedNloaded
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Opinions for noob

Post by gerlachedNloaded » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:12 am

ok, so i'll be coming to BM for the first time in 2010. I've looked over all the survival guides and recommended readings like 10 times each.

I've got some questions though:

First, how the heck do you get your crap on a plane? seems like a tent and sleeping bags and a propane burner etc.. is an aweful lot to put 10k feet in the air.. and im guessing NOT cheap to do. Is it recommended to just by everything in Reno shortly after landing and gift it to someone who drove there? or is there secret plane speak to know of?

Second, i will have to rent a car to get from the airport to the playa. Wont be getting in until wednesday, so can't hitch a ride unfortunately. and i'll need a way to get around for supplies i won't be bringing. Should i rent and put max insurance on it? or another idea?

i have lots more questions, but i wont bore yall all at once :D

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:18 am

Renting a car and purchasing in Reno is a common strategy. There are still folks coming in Wednesday, so you likely can find a rider to help with expenses. Glad to see you're thinking ahead as to what to do with your newly purchased stuff.

gerlachedNloaded
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Post by gerlachedNloaded » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:36 am

Ha, the way its going i might need to rent a van! lol so far i'll have at least 5 people coming with me. hopefully the list grows~!
and yes, i'm sure somebody can/will use what i can't take back. wish me luck!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:38 am

You can sometimes rent camping gear. Use your coconut.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:50 am

There's backpacking gear.
May not need a stove if you plan for it.
You can buy your own insurance for a rental vehicle, much cheaper.

DiveDogFLL

Post by DiveDogFLL » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:51 pm

I'm in the same boat, so to speak......

I think it will be cheaper to buy new than ship, most stuff, unless I can find someone driving out and back.

I'm actually surprised BM-org hasn't tried to get donations on exodus, and reselling them on the opening the following year.

or the schools...

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:07 pm

That would be a huge headache. I don't know if they have the person power to sort through and repair the mountains of stuff.

Plus, there's a good possibility that people would say that they are donating a tent and then pawn off their garbage instead. But if you ever want to set that up, it's a do-acracy.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:33 pm

As far as stoves, you definitely can't bring that on a plane (at least not the fuel). I brought canned food and only used the stove once... Hot food is overrated when you're out baking in the sun. :)

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:39 pm

i also agree that hot food is overrated... more to clean up, as well. next year i plan to pack my coolers full of picnic food... some fresh, some frozen.

i might get a little burner to make my coffee, though.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:53 pm

tacos are yummy & not much to heat or throw away.. they come with their own little flower or corn plates.. :) ha!! I just used " little flower" in a sentance. :lol:
don't forget to floss

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:15 pm

littleflower wrote: i might get a little burner to make my coffee, though.
Yeah, yeah, it's always the dwarfs, midgets, and munchkins serving you. Don't you htink that we might have other things we want to do during burnweek, besides wait on you hand and foot? Oh, another manicure? Certainly.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:37 pm

littleflower wrote: i might get a little burner to make my coffee, though.
lol cryptofishist! Littleflower could have meant child slave labor though. Buying a child for a servant will be a storage/maintenance issue for the rest of the year, you might consider renting.

I only made a hot meal a couple of times, but I made coffee every morning.
That part of my gear takes up very little space. A fold up isobutane backpacker stove, and a bialetta stovetop espresso pot. A small 1-2 liter pot and a coffee press would work well too. Oh dear, camp coffee. so wonderful! I have used many methods, and none have been disapointing. It's so rewarding, really, you should just do it yourself, and forget about needing a little burner.

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:37 am

Dude, the playal provides!! Seriously, if you just let the universe know you need a tent, and a ride and junk, you will totally get it!!!!!1!

Once you get to the airport in Reno, just look for people that look like the're going to Burning Man and get a ride. You can totally get a ride out, too, just take a sharpie so you can make a little sign, the day you need to leave.

And you can just sleep at PEX and eat at food camps, LOLOL!!

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:57 am

littleflower wrote:i also agree that hot food is overrated... more to clean up, as well. next year i plan to pack my coolers full of picnic food... some fresh, some frozen.

i might get a little burner to make my coffee, though.
how little is little?...........do you have size requirements, Mistress?...........
What about age?

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:04 am

mode-of-operation

Post by mode-of-operation » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:08 am

Last year was my first and I came in on a Wednesday evening too. No problems whatsoever getting in or finding a spot. Don't expect a spot close to the center or inner rings. I was way out on the outer edges but that was ok because I would have went mad with all of the music all night and all day long. Still could hear it in the outer rings but not too bad. You get used to it.

As far as gear is concerned, I shipped a large portion of mine to a UPS store. I picked it up when I flew into town. It can be expensive if you pack too much or have an irregular shape, and by irregular shape that means something that is not a square or rectangle.

When comes to shipping you will save some money buying it when you get there versus shipping. Example: If you have a coleman stove already that cost $20.00 to ship, is it worth to buy a brand new one when you get there for $30.00. Then you have a stove you still will have in your posession when you leave. So it's $20.00 to send it back or throw it away, sell it or donate it somewhere. It's a hard yet simple decision. It's really what is important to you.

I can tell you this, when it comes to have to buying a lot of stuff when you get there, you will quickly realize how expensive you can make this trip. You will be nickle and dimed a lot. Make your supplies as simple as you can and stick to your supply list without adding a lot of useless crap.

Other than that, take lots of pictures and don't be afraid to express yourself. Took me a full day to get into the spirit and once I did, had a blast.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:01 pm

mode-of-operation wrote: Took me a full day to get into the spirit and once I did, had a blast.
Slo poke......

but your still in the spirit, right?? 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”