Please allow me to introduce myself

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
peacefulhuman

Please allow me to introduce myself

Post by peacefulhuman » Mon May 24, 2010 9:11 pm

Ah, to be a virgin again...

Hello! My name is Terry, and I am presently feeling the thrill of having taken the first step towards fulfilling a longtime wish - to attend Burning Man. My ticket confirmation is sitting in my inbox and I am grinning from ear to ear at the thought that I am finally - after years of intent and desire to go - getting to the Playa.

Years have passed since I first heard of this thing called Burning Man; years have passed since I first felt that deep thrum in my heart that said "Oh my God, that sounds like the GREATEST THING EVER!" Years have passed since my first plan to go was sidetracked by the birth of my son and the start of my family.

This is the year I am finally getting to do it. I am excited beyond measure, and Job One will be finding a way to temper that excitement because there are still three long months between now and then. I find myself inspired in ways I have not felt in ages - inspired to create, to give, to serve - I am energized in a new and positive way that feels so wonderful. I am an artistic being who has spent the last 22 years in the soul-crushing box of corporate America, and it took the end of my marriage last August to make me realize that ignoring my own creative spirit just to ensure the prosperity of others --no matter how much I love them-- is a slow death of the worst kind.

I am awake and alive today, and I am bringing a fiercely bright spirit of love and connection with me to Black Rock City. I have no expectations, and have the intention of being open to whatever I should encounter. I have read much of what has been posted here and elsewhere regarding preparations, and I suspect I will have a few questions to ask before the 10 hour drive from Southern California is at hand. In the meantime, I wanted to introduce myself to this community, and express my pure, unadulterated joy about finally being able to join you.

This is going to be so. fucking. cool.

Pleased to meet you.
Terry
Orange County

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon May 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Welcome to you. I love the enthusiasm you have. Not much I can add except to tell you that life will never be the same after your first visit to BRC.
Kick off your shoes and make yourself at home here on eplaya. Read all you can and yes, just 3 short months to go.
See you on the playa!

Shambala

chris2010
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself

Post by chris2010 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 pm

peacefulhuman wrote:Ah, to be a virgin again...

Hello! My name is Terry, and I am presently feeling the thrill of having taken the first step towards fulfilling a longtime wish - to attend Burning Man. My ticket confirmation is sitting in my inbox and I am grinning from ear to ear at the thought that I am finally - after years of intent and desire to go - getting to the Playa.

Years have passed since I first heard of this thing called Burning Man; years have passed since I first felt that deep thrum in my heart that said "Oh my God, that sounds like the GREATEST THING EVER!" Years have passed since my first plan to go was sidetracked by the birth of my son and the start of my family.

This is the year I am finally getting to do it. I am excited beyond measure, and Job One will be finding a way to temper that excitement because there are still three long months between now and then. I find myself inspired in ways I have not felt in ages - inspired to create, to give, to serve - I am energized in a new and positive way that feels so wonderful. I am an artistic being who has spent the last 22 years in the soul-crushing box of corporate America, and it took the end of my marriage last August to make me realize that ignoring my own creative spirit just to ensure the prosperity of others --no matter how much I love them-- is a slow death of the worst kind.

I am awake and alive today, and I am bringing a fiercely bright spirit of love and connection with me to Black Rock City. I have no expectations, and have the intention of being open to whatever I should encounter. I have read much of what has been posted here and elsewhere regarding preparations, and I suspect I will have a few questions to ask before the 10 hour drive from Southern California is at hand. In the meantime, I wanted to introduce myself to this community, and express my pure, unadulterated joy about finally being able to join you.

This is going to be so. fucking. cool.

Pleased to meet you.
Terry
Orange County
Hello & Welcome! :) My first time too!
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon May 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Welcome to eplaya. I’m with Shambala. I like your enthusiasm. Sometimes its easy to get sort of bogged down in the mire that is the day-to-day. Reading things like your post bring em back to my own first year. Thanks for that.

Read up on everything and research any questions you may have. don’t’ be afraid to ask if you can’t find something and certainly share if you feel like sharing a tale or story. Three months will indeed go by fast so be sure to enjoy the lead up time!

And welcome to you, too, chris2010!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

chris2010

Post by chris2010 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:40 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:...And welcome to you, too, chris2010!
Thank you!
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue May 25, 2010 7:24 am

[youtube][/youtube]

TobeWilde

Hello and Welcome!

Post by TobeWilde » Tue May 25, 2010 7:31 am

Hi Terry,
I feel ya, truly. I too, will be a Birgin this year after having great intentions for so long. But three children, mortgages, cats, dogs, laundry, divorce, soccer games....arrrgghhh... :evil: it all ate me alive, with not much left (I thought, but oh the reservoir was holding me still...)

Driving up from Central Cali, alone, in a Uhaul full of goodies (with banners to cover the ugliness of orange advertisements once arrival has taken place). If you've ever (or never) considered a caravan road trip, I'm sorta "on the way" and it might be fun. At this point, I'm nailing nothing down by the GOING part...everything else can be decided a bit later - just adding this to your 'stew'. :D
<b>October Wilde - <i>"Tobe"</i></b>
Birgin 2010
<b><i>"I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself." Anais Nin </b></i>

peacefulhuman

Post by peacefulhuman » Tue May 25, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks for the welcome, folks. I'm feelin' it already!

I love the idea of a caravan, but I don't know that my travel schedule works for others. I will be leaving OC on Tuesday night and driving halfway, then continuing early in the a.m. to arrive at BRC around noon on Wednesday. I will be coming by myself. That is really outside my "norm" as I've so often been part of a couple or a group, but taking this particular journey solo just feels right to me. I'm a little apprehensive about the long drive by myself, but I sense it will be a good opportunity to "empty the vessel" of my mind and allow me to be clear and open and ready to experience whatever I am meant to experience when I finally get there. Besides - I sense I will only be "alone" on the way up and back - once I'm there, I don't think I'll be alone at all.

You guys are making this newbie feel very welcome, and it is most appreciated. Thanks!

TobeWilde

Post by TobeWilde » Tue May 25, 2010 8:10 pm

[quote="peacefulhuman"]Thanks for the welcome, folks. I'm feelin' it already!

I love the idea of a caravan, but I don't know that my travel schedule works for others. I will be leaving OC on Tuesday night and driving halfway, then continuing early in the a.m. to arrive at BRC around noon on Wednesday. I will be coming by myself. That is really outside my "norm" as I've so often been part of a couple or a group, but taking this particular journey solo just feels right to me. I'm a little apprehensive about the long drive by myself, but I sense it will be a good opportunity to "empty the vessel" of my mind and allow me to be clear and open and ready to experience whatever I am meant to experience when I finally get there. Besides - I sense I will only be "alone" on the way up and back - once I'm there, I don't think I'll be alone at all.

quote]

I completely understand...I think the solitude and relative quiet of the drive up will help me decompress from "this" world and get ready for the new (and infinitely better one) at Black Rock. I, too, have chosen to come alone, set up my camp 'alone' and meet the new family I knew was out there...somewhere. I hope we have the opportunity to meet sometime too.
Birgin 2010
<b><i>"I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself." Anais Nin </b></i>

TobeWilde

Post by TobeWilde » Tue May 25, 2010 8:10 pm

[quote="peacefulhuman"]Thanks for the welcome, folks. I'm feelin' it already!

quote]

I completely understand...I think the solitude and relative quiet of the drive up will help me decompress from "this" world and get ready for the new (and infinitely better one) at Black Rock. I, too, have chosen to come alone, set up my camp 'alone' and meet the new family I knew was out there...somewhere. I hope we have the opportunity to meet sometime too.
Birgin 2010

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Wed May 26, 2010 5:40 am

peacefulhuman wrote:because there are still three long months between now and then.
Ah, there are really only 3 short months. So much to do...
\^/
/..\ Furthur

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed May 26, 2010 5:55 am

teardropper wrote:Ah, there are really only 3 short months. So much to do...
I know... I freaking out a bit , actually.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed May 26, 2010 6:55 am

TobeWilde wrote:I completely understand...I think the solitude and relative quiet of the drive up will help me decompress from "this" world and get ready for the new (and infinitely better one) at Black Rock.
This is pretty true. I know the whole drive last year all I could think was "I'm on the way to Burning Man, I'm on the way to BURNING MAN! I'M ON THE WAY TO BURNING MAN!!!!!" So the solitude and expected calm was totally lost.

Terry, Welcome!
Sounds like you truly will be home in August!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

chris2010

Post by chris2010 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:24 pm

teardropper wrote:
peacefulhuman wrote:because there are still three long months between now and then.
Ah, there are really only 3 short months. So much to do...
3 months or 90 days which ever comes first! I can't wait... I am counting them down!
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Wed May 26, 2010 5:12 pm

illy dilly wrote:
TobeWilde wrote:I completely understand...I think the solitude and relative quiet of the drive up will help me decompress from "this" world and get ready for the new (and infinitely better one) at Black Rock.
This is pretty true. I know the whole drive last year all I could think was "I'm on the way to Burning Man, I'm on the way to BURNING MAN! I'M ON THE WAY TO BURNING MAN!!!!!" So the solitude and expected calm was totally lost.

Terry, Welcome!
Sounds like you truly will be home in August!
That describes my trek too.
It was better next year. -Burners

Return to “The Greeter's Station”