FNG.....well kind of

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
sportsmobile

FNG.....well kind of

Post by sportsmobile » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:01 pm

FNG to eplaya but this year will be my second burn. My first and only burn to date was in 07. Incredible time. Friends got married. Changed me. Trying to get back ever since.

Leaving from MI in about a week and taking a solo road trip prior to this years burn. I have room for one for a ride to the burn or for a part or all of the road trip.

Heading to the Badlands then probably off to Glacier then start south hoping to experience Grand Tetons and Moab. Would love to hear some suggestions from folks about amazing places to go that are off the beaten path and away from tourist spots. 4 wheel drive vehicle, a great pair of hiking boots and a 14' kayak.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:30 pm

Welcome!

Hmm... I'd recommend checking out the eastern sierras if you have any energy after the burn, or if you want to come out early. :)

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:11 am

Goblin Valley State Park, near Moab. Stone hoodooos! You'll think you're in a petrified giant mushroom forest.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:41 am

Sounds divine!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

sportsmobile

Post by sportsmobile » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:18 am

[quote="AntiM"]Goblin Valley State Park, near Moab. Stone hoodooos! You'll think you're in a petrified giant mushroom forest.[/quote]

excellent!! thank you!

looking forward to putting my 4Runner to the test in Utah
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. - Thomas Jefferson

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Enable the BBCode in your profile and your quotes will work.

I live in Northern Utah, Southern Utah is amazing. Look up Kodachrome Basin State Park. Really, our state parks are as good as some National Parks and monuments. We have 5 NP, I love Bryce Canyon the best. And Mesa Verde, which is in CO, but down in Four Corners~ish.

sportsmobile

Post by sportsmobile » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:32 pm

AntiM wrote:Enable the BBCode in your profile and your quotes will work.

I live in Northern Utah, Southern Utah is amazing. Look up Kodachrome Basin State Park. Really, our state parks are as good as some National Parks and monuments. We have 5 NP, I love Bryce Canyon the best. And Mesa Verde, which is in CO, but down in Four Corners~ish.
thanks for the advice and tips!!

thats the kind of stuff i'm looking for. NP are easy to find out about and everyone knows to check them out. i'm looking for the more off the beaten path beauties where there won't be hordes of tourists.

can you recommend a good 4x4 road for a more or less stock 88 4runner to cruise down to do some back country sight seeing?
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. - Thomas Jefferson

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Er, not really. There's plenty, I think there's a site just for ORV suggestions. Google is your friend?

sportsmobile

Post by sportsmobile » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:25 pm

yep. google is my friend. just thought maybe you might have some experience with that.

if anyone needs a ride from one place to the next on my route or just wants to get out and camp for a little while or if you needed a ride to the playa you could hop on as well. I'd have room for a person and a couple bags, i'll have 2 bikes with me but i'm sure we could figure out away to strap a 3rd down somewhere

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:37 pm

Check the National Forests. Due to ...blah, blah, blah...they've been forced to designate off-roading trails.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:26 pm

AntiM wrote:Enable the BBCode in your profile and your quotes will work.

I spent a summer at Hovenweep when I was a teenager, working on a archaeology dig there. A magical summer all around.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”