HEY GUESS WHAT? WE'RE STILL OUT HERE CLEANING UP

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:00 am

LOL!!!!! Maybe he was pissed because they banished him from the trailer park because he puked on himself, his playa tart, and all over the driveway after drinking too much jaeger.

mars

Post by mars » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:03 am

Thank you!!!!!

Seriously.

THANK YOU!!!!!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:06 am

You're welcome. Really. You are.

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:51 am

I'm sorry for the shitheads who left garbage behind but I'm ever so grateful (as is the habitat no doubt) for you hard working folks who are restoring the Playa. THANK YOU for your work!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:41 pm

fuck this...I picked up a shitload of trash that wasn't mine, just like I do every year and I don't bitch, whine, and stomp my foot about it. So, "thank you" to the same extent I say thank you to the 45,000+ Burners who are out there doing it right, mooping and LNT'ing

baconqurlyq

Post by baconqurlyq » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:46 pm

As a newb, I was shocked by how much trash I found lying around, sometimes in front of camps where people were hanging out and ignoring the mess. I picked up as much as I could, and I know for a fact that my camp left no trace.

We took all of our garbage and dropped it off at a garbage collection facility.

I understand the OP's need to vent some spleen. I'd be upset too. But shit, out of 52k people, there's bound to be a LOT of douchebags.
Popped the playa cherry!

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Question - Who the fuck is this whining, sniveling ScruffyBwahhh???
Nice rant.

(swoon...)

RACESV

Re: HEY GUESS WHAT? WE'RE STILL OUT HERE CLEANING UP

Post by RACESV » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:59 pm

scruffyboy wrote:What is it about "pack it in, pack it out" that you fuckwads don't seem to understand?
What is it about "job security" that you don't seem to understand?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:11 pm

and I know for a fact that my camp left no trace.
I would argue that no one can "know for a fact" that they left no trace. You can do a damn good job, pick up everything you can see, leave no burn scars and the whole bit, but that knowing is impossible. And my guess is that a whole lot of people (although not necessarily she I'm quoting) saw nothing on their last sweep and still left moop.

Now, if only the person who made my salad hadn't left a lot of that damn peppery green in it, I'd be so much happier.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:47 pm

Isotopia wrote:
Question - Who the fuck is this whining, sniveling ScruffyBwahhh???
Nice rant.

(swoon...)
I learned from the best, liebchen! :wink:

>>swoon back<<

Besides, I can't stand snivelling asswipes who complain about their fucking JOB. Especially with his fucking burnier than thou been here since 2003 but only posted 63 times BULLSHIT. He gives DPW a bad name.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:03 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
and I know for a fact that my camp left no trace.
I would argue that no one can "know for a fact" that they left no trace.
I've gotta agree with Fishy- even if its spotless when you leave you'd be amazed at what the wind can blow to your area, or what asshats driving over your former spot can drop.

Monday this year I swept our small corner for over an hour, there was nothing there. After we had the RV packed & were about ready to head off, I did a last follow up sweep- I found a kitchen knife, some blinkies, some papers, all stuff that I know wasn't there on my first sweeps. People driving over our empty corner must have had them drop from their ill-tied messes.

Clean as best you can, leave no trace that you know of, then pray.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

David M
Burning Since: 2009

Post by David M » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:31 pm

I think the work DPW does is a huge asset to the event and I truly appreciate them for it. They are awesome.

That said, they need to turn down the volume on all the self importance. I have toiled for many hours in the hot sun for my pissy little environmental job and have never felt the need to throw myself a parade or maraude around in the streets behaving like an asshole.

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Hey scruffyboy, are you guys done yet out there? It's been a month now and I don't want to see any milking of the job here! :roll:

Here is a little DPW salute to keep you motivated.
Love, Sham....

PavementBlues
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by PavementBlues » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:52 pm

scruffyboy wrote:And oh yeah that *special* camp that decided to just up and leave all manner of filth? (you know who YOU are) Don't even THINK of trying to register your camp next year! If you do manage to somehow sneak on in next year you can expect a few visits from some of our more unruly DPW crew ASSHOLES! WE know who you are too!! YOUR PARTICULAR DISASTER AREA WILL NOT SOON BE FORGOTTEN ,CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE SET A NEW ALL TIME LOW Wouldn't be surprised if pics of your disaster area aren't already circulating.
You wouldn't happen to be talking about the camp over at nine o'clock, would you? The plaza? If pics of THAT particular situation are indeed circulating, it would be good for you to know the whole story.

Here's what happened: we got ditched halfway through breakdown by all but FOUR of our 85+ camp members and, after spending 18 straight hours on Tuesday packing shit up in that horrible white out, discovered that we couldn't fit everything (even though we tried like mad). It turned out that we should have let people on-playa know what was going on, because when two of us drove BACK from Reno the next day to pick up the rest of the stuff, all of the valuables had already been taken (they even took the REBAR CONTAINER, leaving a big fun pile for us) and everybody in the neighborhood was talking about it/incredibly pissed off. We tried to calm people down and then proceeded to spend all day picking up every single piece of anything that we could find, as we have always done and will continue to do.

Once again, if this is the *special camp* that you are talking about, then I really hope that people get the whole story before they make assumptions/do something unfortunate. It seemed that talk had already spread unnervingly quickly when we returned on Wednesday afternoon (12 hours after our initial departure) and I would not be surprised if this turned into a bad game of Telephone.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Dang PB... sounds like 81+ dickwads. seriously.

PavementBlues

Post by PavementBlues » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:15 pm

Elorrum wrote:Dang PB... sounds like 81+ dickwads. seriously.
Most all of them I like very much, and many of them put in a huge amount of work up to that point helping with the camp. Unfortunately, those who had already helped were ready to go home and get some rest, and the others seemed to not understand just how much work was left to be done.

Shit happens. You learn from it.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:49 pm

no. I'm gonna say this. There is no good excuse, and the BLM wouldn't be as understanding if they had to look at a mess and decide whether it was o.k. to renew an agreement. This is serious. Your lesson of shit happening and the continuity of the festival don't necessarily jibe. I feel responsible when I leave and so should every other person there. Whether they are tired or not. The people who left should have fucking taken a look before they left and figured out what was left to do, and where everything was going to get packed. period. Close, or really did try aren't going to cut it.

PavementBlues

Post by PavementBlues » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:32 pm

You put the focus on "Shit Happens" rather than "Learn from It". Was what happened acceptable? No. Were the people involved responsible for not helping clean up? Yes. Were we as camp coordinators also responsible for not properly organizing the breakdown? Yes. Is there any point in getting pissed at a mutual mistake? No.

( Will we be blocking cars in next year? Maybe! )

We were willing to put the energy in to make sure that what needed to get done got done. That's what we're here for. Unfortunately, though, not everyone wanted to put as much work into Burning Man as was required by the scope of our structural projects. Yeah, I know, then they shouldn't have been in our camp - that was OUR mistake as coordinators because many new members clearly didn't have a fully developed idea of what they were getting themselves into. If I had properly informed them and made sure that they REALLY knew the kind of work that the camp requires, then they probably would have chosen to camp elsewhere. We learned from this and by the time we left the playa we had already discussed what changes were going to be implemented within camp next year so that there would be no chance of having camp members either burn out or flake out.

Basically, while I understand your point, I also understand that no one is perfect. We're all learning here (a condition especially accentuated within the large theme camp setting!), and as long as they (and we) take something from the experience and use it to be a better Burner, then I consider the situation to be if not a success, at least an ultimately positive lesson.

EDIT: I made a mistake in my original post. We left at three o'clock Tueday morning and came back at around three o'clock Wednesday afternoon.

Eklypz
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Hookahdome

Post by Eklypz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:33 pm

Maybe he is actually this gal?

(i kid, she is ridiculous and I know they hadn't even started restoration at that point.)
~o(Eklypz)o~

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:31 am

Well, he started another thread over in tipsa nd tricks about cars.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:54 am

It sounds like a major communication error to me. Surely someone else in your neighborhood was awake while you were packing to leave the first time. Why didn't you let anyone know you intended to return and pick the rest of the stuff up? Of course that doesn't excuse your campmates who left it all for 4 of you. But again...a communication break down. If you have a camp with 85 people and there is no designated clean up team, that seems like an imminent disaster.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:01 am

Just hit him with the snark bombs every time he posts :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

deathray

Post by deathray » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:04 am

Scruffy, if you don't like it, quit and get a job that will employ you. I paid and can and will bitch about everyone and everything, especially self righteous smug a$$holes who think they're better then others.
cheers

scruffyboy
To: deathray
Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:20 pm
Subject: BITE MY MUTHERFUCKINASS
Awwww so we didn't have such a nice burn?
Well guess what fucktard we're still out here cleaning up after all you miserable lowlifes. Tell you what stay home next year or better yet stay after and help with clean up THEN AND ONLY THEN DO YOU GET THE RIGHT TO BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT ANYTHING!

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:37 am

Sounds like scruffyboy zipped his sack up again all drunk off his ass.

Hey scruffyboy, the undies go under your trou's, not on your head!

what a weiner :roll:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:19 am

PavementBlues wrote:
scruffyboy wrote:And oh yeah that *special* camp that decided to just up and leave all manner of filth? (you know who YOU are) Don't even THINK of trying to register your camp next year! If you do manage to somehow sneak on in next year you can expect a few visits from some of our more unruly DPW crew ASSHOLES! WE know who you are too!! YOUR PARTICULAR DISASTER AREA WILL NOT SOON BE FORGOTTEN ,CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE SET A NEW ALL TIME LOW Wouldn't be surprised if pics of your disaster area aren't already circulating.
You wouldn't happen to be talking about the camp over at nine o'clock, would you? The plaza? If pics of THAT particular situation are indeed circulating, it would be good for you to know the whole story.

Here's what happened: we got ditched halfway through breakdown by all but FOUR of our 85+ camp members and, after spending 18 straight hours on Tuesday packing shit up in that horrible white out, discovered that we couldn't fit everything (even though we tried like mad). It turned out that we should have let people on-playa know what was going on, because when two of us drove BACK from Reno the next day to pick up the rest of the stuff, all of the valuables had already been taken (they even took the REBAR CONTAINER, leaving a big fun pile for us) and everybody in the neighborhood was talking about it/incredibly pissed off. We tried to calm people down and then proceeded to spend all day picking up every single piece of anything that we could find, as we have always done and will continue to do.

Once again, if this is the *special camp* that you are talking about, then I really hope that people get the whole story before they make assumptions/do something unfortunate. It seemed that talk had already spread unnervingly quickly when we returned on Wednesday afternoon (12 hours after our initial departure) and I would not be surprised if this turned into a bad game of Telephone.
somehow I don't think DPW had got to your place by wednesday. I don't think they start cleanup in the city proper until at least the weekend--- there's all the infrastructure take-down and cleaning up the burns to take care of long before they start the nitty-gritty sweeps.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:37 pm

Using that big knob to set the handicap, we made Ein Hammer more difficult when participants wore DPW hoodies. Why? Because you LIKE to work!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:40 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:Using that big knob to set the handicap, we made Ein Hammer more difficult when participants wore DPW hoodies. Why? Because you LIKE to work!
I'm surprised DPW didn't request to buy your machine for the gym & spa up at the Ranch.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Return to “Stories”