DEAR SOUND CAMPS.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: DEAR SOUND CAMPS.

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:42 pm

i'm afraid the sound camps are the front lines.

thats why this is so important.

if we want to be good neighbors we better get our guests to RESPECT the COMMUNITY or suffer the consequences.

we were all moths at one point.

its up to the Large Sound Camps, the very flame for these moths, to teach them to burn.

let us turn locusts into butterflies.

it's possible.
Frida Be You & Me

Theres Always One

Post by Theres Always One » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:23 pm

ANYthings possible, I suppose.

But, I like where you're going with this.

Please continue...........

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Simon,
My only talent is making snarky remarks. Is there something I can do from the side lines, or should I just leave it up to the professionals?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:03 pm

I like the cut of your jib, simon. I try to do my part in leading people towards "Not a rave, but an experience, leave most of the X and your candy beads at home, trust me, and read that fucking survival guide," but I don't know how much further I can go. I'll do my best, though, to help keep your parties rolling. I'm making a special stop each morning at sound camps to pick up trash and keep things looking nice and tidy. I might make a flyer to hand out to people, but that just creates more MOOP. Perhaps I'll make a singular flier, attach it to a string, and pull it back from people once they finish reading it. I don't know what more I can do though, other than hope that this brolectro-house trend infecting pop music moves on.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:20 pm

i figure if they make it out there, survive the week, and are still smiling at the end AND they have taken a little bit of the LNT ethos to heart, or any other principle, or hell, ALL of them to heart and bring it back with them and tell their friends "Hey, Pick That Shit UP!" then my run on sentence is a success...

im pollinatin' here...

they dont even know it yet, but we're using them to spread the word back to their hives.

it's real easy to hate newcomers, It's Harder to accept them and Teach them the ways of the Community.

even harder to Impress it upon them by example.

I always Take the Hard Way, the middle way bores the shit out of me.
Frida Be You & Me

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:44 pm

you are so fucking doomed.

[youtube][/youtube]
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:47 pm

shut up, sofa king.

you're spoiling the surprise.

you're SUCH an asshole sometimes...

now get back to bee-ing productive, and STFU.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Ano wrote:A report from the front lines.... Folks, I used to be one of "those" people. I admit it. I wore the beads and the pacifiers and waved the glowsticks around like a fucking douchebag. And then I got out of high school... but I still keep in contact with many of my "rave" buddies.

And Burning Man is on the target list, for a lot of folks. It's dangerous. I don't really touch the LSCs or MVs on Playa, since I grew out of my dancing shoes a long time ago (but I still appreciate the party, a lot!), but maybe that will chance this year, but either way, this is dangerous territory. I guess I haven't been around long enough to really talk much about this, but... ravers are coming, in droves, to the city, with no interest in anything but the big name DJs, really. I was grilled the other day as to why I missed the "epic legendary" OT white party on wednesday last year with their "sick lineup," and when I tried to tell people, "Well, that's really not the point, you see..." they scoffed and told me that I was in a venue with this and this and this and this musical artist, how could I have not went out and seen them!?

I don't know how to convey this danger properly, but my facebook feed does it well. When all the candy-ravers got back from their yearly pilgrammage to EDC, I saw a good chunk of my friends post things like "Next stop... THE BURNING MAN!", and I even had one person message me asking me if the lineup was posted yet.

I haven't been in this community long enough to offer a solution, but I really hope this contingent of x-tards who care nothing more than how cool their costume looks and how hot the person they are grinding on is doesn't manage to make it out to BRC. I don't know how to stop it, though. I don't know what I can personally do. They are on the horizon and planning.
I hear a lot of folks I know say stuff like this all year long. I love when they ask me about the white party or something else huge and I love telling them I was in the backstreet suburb at some dive bar making up songs with an all girl punk band, sorry I missed the big show! hahaha....It definitely has grown to be a bucket list item with the growth of that particular scene and the festivals surrounding it.
Even from when I started going in 05, I dont think I even made it close to 2:00 and 10:00 my first 2 years nor did I really even know about it. (I know, I am so hip cool and new wave) I thought I was going to the greatest music parties like Hamsa Lila at Camp I Am, tons of jams and great musicians at Otter, and Mermen at Center Camp, Albino. Speaking of all that juicy stuff, seems to of died down in recent years, which is one of the reasons I am glad I found Mojo Green and HOTD.

With that said, I CAN'T WAIT FOR BOOTIE MASHUP NIGHT at ROOT SOCIETY!!!! Definitely going to that disco party. Stoked!!!! OK well at least I'll TRY to go....

Ano
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:I am Nixon, going to China.

Dear Sound Camps, please do not ask the General Public to fund your Party. It is NOT ART...

it's fun, it's great, it's fucking sparkly, but it ain't fucking ART.

so, if you can't afford to bring a massive fucking sound system and all of the shiny shiny accoutrements to the desert DONT FUCKING DO IT!

there is nothing wrong with going small, or being RADICALLY SELF RELIANT.

if i see any sound camps begging on kickstarter, i will be the first to shit on them.

now someone get henry in here, i have a plan for cambodia.
Also, uhh, I guess I'll be "that guy."

http://www.indiegogo.com/RootSociety2012 ??? Just sayin'... ;)

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:46 pm

not my idea.

i dont like it.

however, the 4-5k that we raise should barely offset the 75-100k we Spend and go into the red every year providing the playa with beats.

bitch all you want.

the fact of the matter is EVERYONE is doing it, again, i dont like it.

it is a personal opinion, i have made it known, however, it is not my decision.

will i shit on my friends....

no...

win some, lose some.

Our Camp Founder, due to economic circumstances cannot afford to carry the whole load by himself.

I for one am more than happy to give back, considering all he has done for me and for burning man.

you wanna attack Him?

I'll rip your fucking head off and shit down your throat.

seriously.
Frida Be You & Me

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Chill out man, there are kids starving in China

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:32 pm

ah, the Youth in Asia argument... :twisted:

and, i'm just doing my job...

i do it well.

anyone comes at me or root, gets eaten.

since i dont get paid, and this is a volunteer job, i take my benefits in flesh.

pound for pound.
Frida Be You & Me

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Well aren't you the cats pajama buttflap :mrgreen:

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Uh oh, not the cats pajama argument again! Quick, someone fetch kitty a bowl of Wheaties with supersize chill pill....Hold the cat nip!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Hint:

if you scratch under my left armpit, my right leg starts thumping like crazy, and i'm totally useless...

or get me high...

either way, i wont bite you that way.
Frida Be You & Me

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:05 pm

cat camps and dog camps...

cats do whatever the fuck they want whenever the fuck they want with whomever the fuck they want and will eat your brains if you die.

Dogs are Loyal, obedient, Trustworthy, run in packs and have a Hierarchy...

guess what kind of camp we are.

woof.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Ano wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:I am Nixon, going to China.

Dear Sound Camps, please do not ask the General Public to fund your Party. It is NOT ART...

it's fun, it's great, it's fucking sparkly, but it ain't fucking ART.

so, if you can't afford to bring a massive fucking sound system and all of the shiny shiny accoutrements to the desert DONT FUCKING DO IT!

there is nothing wrong with going small, or being RADICALLY SELF RELIANT.

if i see any sound camps begging on kickstarter, i will be the first to shit on them.

now someone get henry in here, i have a plan for cambodia.
Also, uhh, I guess I'll be "that guy."

http://www.indiegogo.com/RootSociety2012 ??? Just sayin'... ;)

dear sound camps...

do whatever the fuck you want..
Don't link to anything here!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:08 pm

why ya gotta be a dick? :twisted:

making my job harder....

fine...we'll see how you like it when Robot Heart rolls into the Lamplighters Camp and blows your sheets off... :twisted:

i am your best chance at survival from the onslaught.

i know these people.

i went native, like Sir Richard Burton, and was able to Sneak into Miami without being spotted.

Ive even translated the remix of the Kamasutra.

Do you WANT to be Over-run by the Sparkle Horde?

or perhaps work with me here to Put saddles on them, train them to not poop on the playa, and possibly pick up some of the Baubles they drop.

You wanna Help Rein them in, or do you want to see them stampede and run amuck?

you tell me, and i'll either break out the whip, or open the stockade gates.....whattya want baby?

lemme know.

soon.
Frida Be You & Me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:27 pm

I want to keep reading this thread, because it is like poetry.

The chorus is needed as well as the verse.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:36 pm

i want them reigned in ..and so do you.. i dont think anyone who is a part of the community wants a bunch of fuckwits ruining it with moop and bad habits and misconceptions

but.. if you have no say and your rantings in this thread end up for naught because 'everyone else is doing it' and its not your decision to make anyways...of what use is the whole public show ?.. it ends up being an open letter.

isnt the silly 'everyone else is doing it' BS ...just going to encourage the same shit youve said folks shouldnt be doing ?

how far should loyalty take us over the cliff ? 'well.. i dont agree with it... BUT.. they are my friends'

if one of the most vocal and apparent fervent protectors in you, Simon, cant get the job done... arent we all fucked ?
Don't link to anything here!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:38 pm

"Yoyo Brah, that poetry they were throwing down was EPIC"
Frida Be You & Me

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:31 pm

lemur wrote:i want them reigned in ..and so do you.. i dont think anyone who is a part of the community wants a bunch of fuckwits ruining it with moop and bad habits and misconceptions

but.. if you have no say and your rantings in this thread end up for naught because 'everyone else is doing it' and its not your decision to make anyways...of what use is the whole public show ?.. it ends up being an open letter.

isnt the silly 'everyone else is doing it' BS ...just going to encourage the same shit youve said folks shouldnt be doing ?

how far should loyalty take us over the cliff ? 'well.. i dont agree with it... BUT.. they are my friends'

if one of the most vocal and apparent fervent protectors in you, Simon, cant get the job done... arent we all fucked ?

i'm dancing as fast as i can.

99% of my suggestions have been taken to heart and heeded.

as much as i am a control freak, there are things outside of my control.

i have learned to come to terms with this.

Can You?

if so, help me help us...Please.

otherwise, we are doomed...

i'm here Lemur, i listen and respond, and i take this shit to heart.

I love Burning Man. I dont want any harm to come to "It". I love the Community.

I also love the beat the beat the beat....and i love my friends and family at root society

there must be some way to skate this Razor's edge.

i am trying, its all i can do.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:02 pm

I poke fun at violence but for the record I do feel this thread and I am understanding it.

When "clueless raver sparkle derp" new comers enter, it is best if the existing force hugs them and they feel the strength of the core of BRC.
When "clueless raver sparkle derp" newcomers enter and the core is not as strong as it should be, they won't be affected by the core vibe and they will not understand what it is really all about, therefore treating it like another festival destiny.

It is up to you strong souls (and us as a whole too) to educate and keep the core strong so the true vibe pulses into minds.
Some minds are more stubborn and shut off than others. Some are more receptive.

Its hard to keep it up when there are famous names on the roster and when shit is so fucking awesome, therefore I understand the strong sentiments on this thread.

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:52 pm

very well stated.

as was said before, maybe on this thread, i have met the enemy and they is us.

embracing them is indeed a way to disarm, introduce, and change perceptions and actions.

a little tough love on the real hard cases might be in order, sometimes thats all they will listen to, especially if they're drunk or under the influence of an inebriant, or putting themselves or others in danger.

it is a tightrope, and requires balance.

i have seen people transform at burning man, truly emerge or almost chrysalis like, come out of their shell, as corny as that sounds.

i have stopped judging books by their cover, i am constantly surprised and my faith in Humanity re-invigorated each time i burn, it's why i return every year.

i am more than willing to give these kids a chance.

they are bright eyed and bushy tailed, and in all honesty, as far as "crowds" go at shows, they are the most gentle, happy bunch to be around, many of them really really mean well, and just need some direction.

ok, maybe its the molly.....is that such a bad thing?

to be empathetic?

it's actually Ok....people caring about others...it's not so far off from what we do, maybe just not as tidy, yet.

expand their consciousness....(oh dear god, i sound like fucking Halcyon) open their sparkly eyes.

thats all im asking for, a little help, because i think the vast majority of the incoming 20k of virgins come from this particular demographic whether we like it or not.

take lemons, make lemonheads and lemonade with vodka, of course.

who knows, maybe some of them will surprise you, and maybe even change how YOU think, you never know, now do you.

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:28 pm

Any of my friends who DO want to go to Burning Man for the sound camp line ups I would LOVE to actually see at Burning Man, I bet they wouldn't spend as much time out there as they thought they would....It can become like, "we can do this anywhere at any festival, lets go mingle with the city."

Everyone is individual and different, yes....Its just good to keep Burning Man Good-Douchey to a point....Have strong personalities to keep the ways of things intact in a way....hard to describe
Keep Burning Man Opinionated and Strong Willed. People that have never been mostly know there are strong ethos.....But in some ways integral participation gets kind of lost. If the number of half assers go far beyond the number of ass kickers, shit gets weird. There is lots of grey area in that scale.

Pippi

Post by Pippi » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:18 am

Being a long time househead, I was surprised at my lack of interest in sound camps my first year at BM. Even my husband, who dj-ed a couple of times, felt a little silly for being apart of the over saturation of edm on the playa. We both thought we would spend a lot of time in large camps where the house music was blasting but honestly after the 3rd day, its just became silly how much there was on the playa. I wasn't expecting it to be everywhere and so much of it so bad. The worst is the dueling sound, I mean art cars, five feet from each other blasting their music and I am someone who LOVES that type of music! (Why do they do that?!)

I completely feel for the long time burners who don't like electronic music and I can totally understand their distain for it taking over bm.

Untz untz untz untz untz

:D

LegendZero

Post by LegendZero » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:49 pm

Its Wub Wub Wub now

Return to “Philosophical Center”