All things outside of Burning Man.
Canoe

Re: "It's news to me!"

Post by Canoe » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:56 pm

Solid Earth Tide
Summer Solstice 2018
From day before, day of and day after.
Solid Earth Tide - Summer Soltice 2018 - day of, +&- one day.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:53 am

it is not too late to save your soul.

http://fortune.com/2018/06/22/george-wi ... ald-trump/
Frida Be You & Me

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:35 am

The missing matter found?
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:08 am

3B608526-AB22-4D83-A63F-279D737B1B9F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:51 am

Simon--- I love the altered Mack Bolan-Executioner book cover. I read every book in the early days of the series {pre-Stony Man) back in the 70s when I was a bored soldier in Uncle Sam's service.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:17 am

“Russian media outlets have presented the visit as a coup for the Kremlin, which has shrugged off sanctions and allegations of electoral meddling.“

671EB09B-99A3-4230-8986-661667357B7B.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:11 am

There is a man who fills up his tank once every two months. One tank of gas, literally, lasts him two months. He is freezing the price of gas by freezing something else.

People complain about the price of gas and we are all spending dearly to stay on the road these days. The money we spend on gas seems to burn up faster than the fuel.

While there may be little rhyme or reason to why the prices are on a perpetual roller-coaster, there is one man who has found a way to freeze them in their tracks, literally.

David Hutchison is a Cryogenics expert. He built this Cryo-Process himself. He runs a business out of his garage where he cryogenically tempers all kinds of metals. He submerges them in a frozen tank of nitrogen vapor that is 300 degrees below zero.

David says, ?During that time, at minus 300 degrees, the molecules slow down. Then they reorganize themselves. That's when the actual chemical change happens.?

Hutchison cryogenically tempers machine parts, tools, golf clubs and even razors. He says it makes them last three to five times longer.

A few years ago he began an experiment on his hybrid Honda, freezing the engine components. The results were a fuel-efficiency dream.

David Hutchison says, ?You should expect a ?Cryo'd? engine to last anywhere from 600,000 to 1 million miles without wearing out.?

A hybrid Honda typically gets really great gas mileage anyway, around 50 miles to the gallon, but David Hutchison's cryogenically tempered engine has been known to get close to 120 miles a gallon.

?It's just a very efficient vehicle.? Hutchison says,

Racers have picked up on David's trick of cryogenically freezing car parts. It is now widely accepted among NASCAR and Indy-car racers.

Hutchison has no plans of taking his Honda to the track. His prize is in his pocketbook.

David says, ?I thought about selling it, but gas prices keep going up. So, I thought, I'm not going to sell it.?

Hutchison tells us cryogenically tempering car parts has more benefits than just fuel efficiency. He freezes all of the brake rotors at a car dealership near his home in Missouri. It makes them last three to five times longer.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:05 pm

CDAD590D-BED6-4FB6-8550-FB952B37C50A.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 pm

FB_IMG_1531869676660.jpg
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Lonesome, you are one sick pup. But I like you for it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:22 am

Pestilance and disease. Don't go.

A group of about 30 campers may have developed a gastrointestinal illness after visiting the Frog Pond Hot Springs near Gerlach, according to an ongoing investigation by the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services.
https://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/bur ... 794307002/
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:13 pm

I don’t know who in the hell wants to soak there, looks nasty

Nasty soup
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:03 pm

This just in, the important news of the hour:

Shaggy 2 Dope Of Insane Clown Posse Attempts To Dropkick Limp Bizkit Front-Man Fred Durst On-Stage

"A truly “insane” situation just went down as the recent Rock Allegiance Festival came to an end in at the BB&T Pavilion in Camden, NJ last night. It has been confirmed by multiple eye-witnesses and subsequent video footage, ourselves include as we were in attendance, that Shaggy 2 Dope of Insane Clown Posse made an attempt to assault Limp Bizkit front-man Fred Durst as he was performing on-stage."

https://musicmayhemmagazine.com/shaggy- ... -on-stage/
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:52 pm

It's not even tomorrow...

Where does the sun rise and set?

Yeah, relativity... thanks, Alberto Frankenstein...
Funfinity manifeats Mettatacular phazes
Dancipate white hazes of purple sea dazes
Swiminfinite Dust as Defaultia lusts
Unpossibility reigns nonlimited mindbusts
Rollbliterate ego ~n~ drop dosasses Monases
Spuntaneous artkarmaval ~ Burn Bright, All

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:10 am

The world’s oldest natural mummy, the 10,000-year-old iconic skeleton known as the “Spirit Cave mummy”, was reburied this summer by the Fallon Paiute-Shoshone people in Nevada, after a DNA study showed it was in fact an ancestor of the tribe. On the study, the Falon Paiute-Shoshone tribe said "confirms what we have always known from our oral tradition and other evidence – that the man taken from his final resting place in Spirit Cave is our Native American ancestor.” This brought closure to a decades-long legal dispute with anthropologists who fought for the mummy, found in 1940 and alledged to be from a "pre-Native American" group of Paleoamericans, to remain on display in a museum (“It’s similar to us not being able to bury our grandmother and her skull put on a shelf somewhere.”)."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... n-ancestor
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:21 am

Canoe wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:10 am
The world’s oldest natural mummy, the 10,000-year-old iconic skeleton known as the “Spirit Cave mummy”, was reburied this summer by the Fallon Paiute-Shoshone people in Nevada, after a DNA study showed it was in fact an ancestor of the tribe. On the study, the Falon Paiute-Shoshone tribe said "confirms what we have always known from our oral tradition and other evidence – that the man taken from his final resting place in Spirit Cave is our Native American ancestor.” This brought closure to a decades-long legal dispute with anthropologists who fought for the mummy, found in 1940 and alledged to be from a "pre-Native American" group of Paleoamericans, to remain on display in a museum (“It’s similar to us not being able to bury our grandmother and her skull put on a shelf somewhere.”)."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... n-ancestor
Similar to the "Kennewick Man" controversy, I was directly involved in. And I have friends involved in "Spirit Cave Man"......I don't buy the results of either or conclusions reached, which were influenced by political sentiment.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:28 am

ygmir wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:21 am
Canoe wrote:
... after a DNA study showed it was in fact an ancestor of the tribe. ...
Similar to the "Kennewick Man" controversy, I was directly involved in. And I have friends involved in "Spirit Cave Man"......I don't buy the results of either or conclusions reached, which were influenced by political sentiment.
The DNA should be what it is, then it has to be fit/matched with other know DNA samples. I thought this was a straightforward process.
The study wasn't peer reviewed?

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:25 am

Canoe wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:28 am
ygmir wrote:
Canoe wrote:
... after a DNA study showed it was in fact an ancestor of the tribe. ...
The DNA should be what it is, then it has to be fit/matched with other know DNA samples. I thought this was a straightforward process.
And I just found this, dated yesterday.
Three New DNA Studies Are Shaking Up the History of Humans in the Americas
https://gizmodo.com/three-new-dna-studi ... 1830313369

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:48 am

If you dig deep enough we are all related.

(As we are all related to the first mammal, first group of cells, first cell using mitochondria, . . . .)
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Canoe wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:25 am
Canoe wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:28 am
ygmir wrote:

And I just found this, dated yesterday.
Three New DNA Studies Are Shaking Up the History of Humans in the Americas
https://gizmodo.com/three-new-dna-studi ... 1830313369
thing about that study I think they leave out is any migration from Europe, probably across the frozen north Atlantic.
I know of direct mitocondrial DNA contamination of specimens, to muddy waters and throw off results.
Not that it's a huge deal, but yeah, no one is really "native" here, probably not even "first", most probably "early" and "winners" of the war/survival/breeding game.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:46 pm

ygmir wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:23 pm
... DNA contamination of specimens ...
Not quite related, but a friend finally gave up on his on-again/off-again relationship. Only to have her come back after two weeks and say "I'm pregnant". An expensive DNA test was done, 'checking for his DNA in her blood', which was said to indicate paternity. After months of hell trying to make it work (bat shit crazy: including gathering up all his clothes into a garbage bag and putting them in the trunk of her car when she went to work - she didn't know why), he couldn't take it any longer. On his way out, she blurted out that in the last pre-pregnant tumble with him, she'd also tumbled with an ex and a tinder date in the same 24 hours. That DNA test? Up in the air. Apparently he didn't know that he wasn't supposed to be the one to get her blood sample and handle the sampling slide with his bare hands... Apparently the post-birth DNA tests are a lot cheaper.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:48 pm

I haven't read the article, let alone the study. Yet for some reason I find the study conclusions entirely credible.

You're totally going to bone in self-driving cars scientists say

https://gizmodo.com/youre-totally-going ... 1830382213

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:32 am

Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:31 am

Frida Be You & Me

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Australians in despair:
  • "This will ruin Australia"
  • "Threatens to Tear Nation Apart"
  • Prime Minister of Australia weighs in with "un-Australian"
  • co-owner of massive wiener offers expert opinion
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/worl ... house.html

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:22 pm

For those of you involved in making measurements, a senior IEEE member sent out this link of a live stream, that is now available for replay.
The 26th General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) will take place in Versailles in November 2018. At this meeting, we expect the CGPM to approve a resolution to revise the definitions of the International System of Units, the SI, which is based on the second, the metre, the kilogram, the ampere, the kelvin, the mole and the candela (the SI base units). ... If the resolution is approved, the SI will be based on seven physical constants, and thus inherently stable. Most notably, this will mark the end of the last remaining physical artefact in the SI system – a cylinder of metal known as the International Prototype of the Kilogram.

Return to “Open Discussion”