Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
xdwingdx
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:00 am
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Zen as Fuck

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by xdwingdx » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 am

SO I'm thinking get to Gerlach Early... rest, eat, support local businesses, get water...

we went to Camp Grounded last month in Mendocino, campgrounded.org

new life phrase I picked up there was "Plan Tight, Hang Loose" It's good to have a plan, but relax when life doesn't go as expected.

with that said, what would be a good goal for leaving Gerlach and arriving on time :?:

User avatar
lemur
Posts: 3600
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:07 pm
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp
Location: Madagascar

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by lemur » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 am

6 pm.
Don't link to anything here!

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12576
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:57 am

xdwingdx wrote:Greetings everyone! I'm Puddles. :D
I'll just bet you are!

Puddles and Poppins! Haha! Awesome. Twee rating: NINE.
My girlfriend Poppins and I were also wondering about the entry strategy this year. IF they are letting people enter starting at 6 PM on Sunday, what is the best time to leave Gerlach? Was last year the first time they did this 6 PM start time?
Do not queue up or wait in Gerlach. Their population in 2010 was 206 people. It's unkind to tax them by cloggin' up the streets with 20,000 vehicles playing some bizarre timing game. They just don't have the space. Plan your drive-time to END in Gerlach at 5:55 (or whatever), not to begin from there, because the Burn is very close to Gerlach.
Like, what is considered 'showing up early' ? if the line is 2 hours long, and you get in line at 4 PM, are you considered early?
If you reach the front of the line before 6pm you are early. The trouble is, it's difficult to know how many people have bungled into line early and will fall on their swords for you, making you the clever lambs who arrive precisely at 6:00pm. :)
Ideally, we could set up camp before sundown..
It's unlikely, though technically possible. Sundown is at 7:30ish (there are online sites you can check for the exact moment) and it will be full dark by 9pm. A big flashlight/lantern or two are necessities anyway. I've set up my tent in the dark almost every year (even sometimes when I had a choice of afternoon vs. evening) and it's been fine . . . not to mention cooler and more pleasant.
Love all the suggestions so far. Love the fact that you need to appreciate the line just like you appreciate the temple. it is all apart of the journey/experience.

Thanks

Puddles
Camp Zen as Fuck
You've got the right attitude (and I like your camp name).
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

mrchiff
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:45 am
Burning Since: 1999

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by mrchiff » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:58 am

Bless wrote:Last year, we showed up around 4 pm and got stuck in the detention lot. Once 6 pm rolled around, they started letting people in who had just shown up, and seemingly ignored the people in d-lot. Fortunately, we were one of the last cars in our line, so we backed up and pretended that we'd just come in.
' Last year we showed up really early because we could. Rather than having to drive back to somewhere they made a special place for us to park. Once 6pm rolled around we realized they had forgotten about us and the fact we are special. Fortunately, we have no problem with entitlement and using extreme self reliance tactics, we fixed everything. '

I think LOR's post http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p953862 explains why you might have felt ignored.

User avatar
graidawg
Posts: 3180
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker
Contact:

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by graidawg » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:21 am

arriving in 2011 was like a preplaya party. lots of people wandering around (not straying far from there cars though) wonderful weather and a generally great attitude from everyone.

my only gripe? MDF would not let me ride on the outside of the SUV we rented.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

User avatar
danibel
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Location: Ben Lomond, CA

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by danibel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:25 am

Krokodyle wrote:
swampdog wrote: DO obey the speed limit (before you get to the traffic-jam part). Speeding increases dust for everyone.
DO NOT try to cut in and out to gain advantage. a) it doesn't work b) you don't want to be that guy
DO be prepared with food/drink/toilet resources.
DO NOT start full on partying. Driver must be sober, open container laws apply. People get busted.
And, from what's been posted before:

ENSURE any auto and trailer license plates are FULLY VISIBLE and not covered (even partially) by ANYTHING, such as straps, bicycle wheels, etc.!
Also! Make sure all lights are working. I was stopped coming in because of my license plate light being burnt out. And! Do not light up a doobie in a dust storm in the entry line. If you do get pulled over and the vehicle has not aired out, you will be searched. In fact do not light up a doobie at all! Make sure registration tag is current.

They are looking for any reason to pull you over. Some of these may seem very obvious, but better safe than sorry.
In dust we trust.

User avatar
Chowski
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 2:35 pm
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by Chowski » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:27 am

My experience last year:

I left Sacramento about 1:00pm Sunday, aiming to arrive at gate at 6:00pm. Around six, I was stopped in traffic outside Gerlach where I met my first neighbors (and was gifted a nice necklace with their camp coordinates for their sunset parties). By 8:00pm, my wheels hit playa. By 10:00pm, I was at my camp. By midnight, my tent and bed were set up, and I set off to explore. The next morning, shade went up before the sun got too crazy. Sure, I waited in line a bit, but I like to think I got a "bonus" night out of it.

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29386
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by ygmir » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:56 am

mrchiff wrote:
Bless wrote:Last year, we showed up around 4 pm and got stuck in the detention lot. Once 6 pm rolled around, they started letting people in who had just shown up, and seemingly ignored the people in d-lot. Fortunately, we were one of the last cars in our line, so we backed up and pretended that we'd just come in.
' Last year we showed up really early because we could. Rather than having to drive back to somewhere they made a special place for us to park. Once 6pm rolled around we realized they had forgotten about us and the fact we are special. Fortunately, we have no problem with entitlement and using extreme self reliance tactics, we fixed everything. '

I think LOR's post http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p953862 explains why you might have felt ignored.
*the crowd cheers*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Canoe
Posts: 3739
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by Canoe » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:08 pm

survival-guide - Highway, Gate, Exodus.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:16 pm

ygmir wrote:
mrchiff wrote:
Bless wrote:Last year, we showed up around 4 pm and got stuck in the detention lot. Once 6 pm rolled around, they started letting people in who had just shown up, and seemingly ignored the people in d-lot. Fortunately, we were one of the last cars in our line, so we backed up and pretended that we'd just come in.
' Last year we showed up really early because we could. Rather than having to drive back to somewhere they made a special place for us to park. Once 6pm rolled around we realized they had forgotten about us and the fact we are special. Fortunately, we have no problem with entitlement and using extreme self reliance tactics, we fixed everything. '

I think LOR's post http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p953862 explains why you might have felt ignored.
*the crowd cheers*
Ipoorah!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
mulch
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:58 pm
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by mulch » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:34 pm

If you end up in Gerlach early, where do you loiter until it is time to head for the gate? What have the gas lines been like Sunday afternoon in Gerlach?
choose damned if you do

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 10233
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Gerlach is tiny!

There is no place to wait.

The gas lines are hellish!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
Major Krash
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow
Location: just off the Oregon Trail

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by Major Krash » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:07 pm

if you arrive early, better to wait in Fernley/Wadsworth (where there are Casinos)...then time the 2-3 hour drive from there to gate.
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

User avatar
some seeing eye
Posts: 3157
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo
Location: The Oregon

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:18 pm

Subscribe to the Jack Rabbit Speaks for the official gate opening time. A close reading of the permit is instructional.

In general people are arriving earlier in the week, but there is no way Gerlach can handle 5000+ vehicles queueing for opening.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14703
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
tamarakay wrote:And if you see a blonde hottie Australian gate volunteer do whatever the hell she tells you and DON'T try and hug her. Trust me on this one.
I was thinking during the burn we need to get a video camera and sneak a sign on her back that says hug me.
Why is she even a greeter?
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5870
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: Arrival at gate: Tips? Lines? Timing?

Post by BBadger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:45 pm

jkisha wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:
tamarakay wrote:And if you see a blonde hottie Australian gate volunteer do whatever the hell she tells you and DON'T try and hug her. Trust me on this one.
I was thinking during the burn we need to get a video camera and sneak a sign on her back that says hug me.
Why is she even a greeter?
Because Gate != Greeter.

Though I have driven through greeter stations with greeters that reminded me of the cheerleaders in my senior year at my old high school. They would just be chatting with each other at the sidelines, completely ignoring their lightweight "duties."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Post Reply

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”