Mokney Hut vs Costco Carport

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Freedyjay

Mokney Hut vs Costco Carport

Post by Freedyjay » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:30 am

Hello awesome people!

So two years back, with the helpful advice of the people here, I went and got a Costco Carport for my shade structure. In the pros column, it was large and provided tons of shade for my tent underneath and I was able to sleep until noon after staying out until sunrise (the weather was great in 2011, so that helped, too.) In the cons column, it was little pricey, took a few people to put up, was a pain to take down (I may have put the rebar in too deep), and hard to transport as it's large and crazy heavy.

Upon getting home I had a huge parking ticket waiting for me (I had parked it on the street from where I got a ride in a friend's RV and it got towed!) and needed cash fast so sold the carport and made back half of what I spent on it. Huzzah!

Last year, I was able to have a space in a friend's RV for a very reasonable rate and while it was splendid, they are not going this year, so back to more real camping I go.

So what do people think of the monkey hut vs. the Costco Carport?

As far as I can tell the basic Monkey Hut (as generously featured at http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/) is smaller (which is both good and bad --as less a communal hangout during the day), but much lighter and easier to put up once the prep is done at home, and I assume a lot cheaper (how cheap?) Does it provide great shade? I assume my tent inside can't be too big? Can I fit it all in a Prius? (If not maybe can fit in another friend's RV.) So I am leaning towards Monkey Hut, but would love people's feedback.

Thanks for all your help!

SnowBlind

Re: Mokney Hut vs Costco Carport

Post by SnowBlind » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:21 am

I think they serve quite different purposes. As a cover for a dome tent the monkey hut is probably better suited. Or rather, the carport is overkill. On the other hand, as a communal shade structure, the carport gives you more space and is sturdier.

International Incident
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Post by International Incident » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:24 am

The real cheap carports are ok if you stake them down. But they are small. Build a monkey hut. Probably cost more than a cheap carport but is better for lounging about. Also you can put a hut up on your own. Big advantage :D

But that's just my 2c worth.
Whatever you choose will be ok!

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:44 am

The carports are much heavier, but they do allow you to seal them up completely and can serve as a windblock vs just a shade structure. I think you'd have a tough time sealing up a monkey hut that well.

MacGlenver
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:00 am

A good starter monkey hut will run you $80-100 all in (rebar, pvc, tarp, bungees, cross strapping, duct tape). I love them because they're infinitely reparable and pretty easy to transport (unless you leave the PVC pieces 10' long like we do... we might chop them this year). Monkey huts do not seal easily, but I've never felt the need to seal them (2011 nor 2012).
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

graidawg
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:05 am

simplest decider is that a carport needs more than one person to put up/take down. are you confident enough to walk up to whoever is nearby and ask for help?

also monkey huts are pretty for shade and shelter but do let a dust storm through. personally i love the monkey hut i share
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:40 am

Monkey huts are nice in that they have a homespun aura about them.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:46 am

graidawg wrote:simplest decider is that a carport needs more than one person to put up/take down. are you confident enough to walk up to whoever is nearby and ask for help?
Totally not true! I've done it by myself lots of times.
You just assemble the roof on the ground, tarp and all, then pick up one side and stick in one of the two middle legs. Then add the other three, and repeat on the other side.
Granted, it's best to not try it while the wind is blowing really hard!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:45 am

I've set up my carport solo several times as well. Not sure why you would need two people other than having it go faster.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”