Braids/Cornrows on the Playa

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Meep

Braids/Cornrows on the Playa

Post by Meep » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:55 pm

I know a lot of people have dreads... I was wondering about anyone having their hair done in cornrows or other braids. I was considering having this done before I go next year, just to make it easier to care for out there.

Blonde Iguana

Post by Blonde Iguana » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:33 am

I have really fine longish hair that tangles in a slight breeze, so I had my hair put in hair-extension/braids for Flaming Dude. It was the best...no playa dreads, very low maintenance (basically NO maintenance except the occasional rinse); and it looked very cool and inspired lots of compliments the entire time, even when totally dirty and full of dust.

The shitty part was when I got home and took the braids out...my "real" hair was THRASHED. It's going to take a while for my head to recover from them there braids. It was great for my first year at BM, but I won't do it again.
How we live each day is, of course, how we live our lives.

Dusty Nipplz

Post by Dusty Nipplz » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:29 am

This was my 4th burn, and the first time I cornrowed my hair. Historically every day on the playa I have to deal with tangles, snarles, pain in the ass. And when I get home my hair is trashed. This year I gave it no thought. It was the best bman decision I ever made. I have thick course hair, I did not do extensions... just cornrows. I deep conditioned a few times beforehand, and used an oily conditioner just before she put the braids in. On the playa I dumped water on my head occassionally, and used a spray leave in conditioner with sunscreen. I wore hats and wigs also. I had them in for about 10 days total. It took about 4 hours to take them out when I got home, and it seemed like I lost a ton of hair... really gross. But in reality, it was probably the normal amount of hair I'd lose in 10 days anyway. Since I didn't do extensions, I don't know if they put any added stress on your hair or not. In the end, my hair was damaged much less than it would have been if I tried to comb it out every day on the playa, and I had a much better burn not having to worry about it. The secret I think is to condition the hell out of it before you put the braids in, condition it while your on the playa, and be patient taking them out.

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:34 am

I have long fine, wavy hair and I didn't braid it nor did I put any conditioner in it. It was a bit of a nest by the 3rd or 4th day. Afterwards I put in some deep conditioner (John Freida's algae one) for a couple hours, rinsed, and my hair is good as new. I was a bit worried that it would be trashed, but it's not at all. I thought about putting in conditioner when I was out there but it seemed like that would make it attract more dust and be greasy.

Blonde Iguana

Post by Blonde Iguana » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:50 am

Yeah, I had about 10 bags of hair extensions tugging on my fragile baby-fine hair (took 10 hours to braid them all in!). The weight of the extra hair actually made my neck and back stiff and sore, especially when it was wet. It was pretty damned gross when we took them out. Looked like we'd shaved a Sasquatch with those big piles of ratty dusty hair littering the floor. My own hair was shredded, and has been coming out in chunks ever since, so it's off to the hair salon for me for a hair cut. I would say if you have strong supple hair then hair extensions are cool looking and easy to maintain; if you have more fragile hair, maybe just the cornrows/braids without adding the weight and friction of hair extensions. Dusty Nipplz' conditioning regimen sounds really good, plus you can buy a Braid Spray from beauty supply stores that conditions your hair and keeps the braids nice and purty.

My campmate had very long hair (unbraided). She just washed it every day, brushed it like mad while it was wet, and kept it in a single braid all the time, and that seemed to keep the dreads and tangles somewhat at bay.
How we live each day is, of course, how we live our lives.

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:59 am

I braided mine in the car on the way down. I added a little beeswax to the roots, and got plenty of sunscreen in them since i was religiously coating my exposed scalp.

I had nary a problem all week long. Manageable, didn't feel dirty, and looked cool enough that i was getting all sorts of unexpected compliments.

I took out the rubber bands a day or so before i left playa. The braids held out of habit (or dirt, whatever) until i left, and were then quite easy to remove in the car. A double shampooing with extra conditioner when i got home and my hair is still healthy, pretty much good as new.

If you have the patience and are not doing all of the driving, make your own. It takes several hours and taxes your muscles, but all you need is rubber bands, a comb, a mirror, and a spray bottle of water.

I will say that i had my carpool partner square up the back bit in Alturas since i couldn't see the last few. He separated them, making it easy for me to finish the job while he took over the wheel.

It's really expensive to do them in a salon....

Also, we did loose, large braids on my driving buddy( i recommend small cause they won't turn into dirty flyaways on you). Through accidentally lighting his hair on fire, he had no more worries about the flyaways. Not that i'm advocating it, but hey, whatever works....

My hair was much less nasty than having short, exposed hair last year. Yay!
surlier than thou

Wednesday

Post by Wednesday » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:28 am

I have really long hair, and it braided it in about 10 braids myself before we left. It took about 30 minutes to do. Once I got home from the playa, I unbraided it and washed it and it was as good as new.

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:41 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:...I braided mine in the car on the way down... My hair was much less nasty than having short, exposed hair last year. Yay!
I loved the braids, Rian, as I mentioned on more than one occasion. I'm curious as to why you would call this nasty?

http://images.burningman.com/index.cgi? ... &q_photog=

That's not the word that comes to my mind...

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:12 pm

I should point out that I had a nasty ol' pony tail my first year (5 years ago). This year, I looked like a freshly sheared sheep. Baaaah!

safetythird

Post by safetythird » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:49 pm

My partner has very long, thick hair and was extrememly happy with braids on the playa. She went to the local hair dresser and paid about $100 to get them done professionally. The hair dresser did a deep conditioning treatment before starting the braids and used some stuff called hair glue to keep everything nice and tight. All in all there were about 30-40 smallish braids that my partner then embellished with beads and the like. It really looked good.

On the playa she washed and conditioned the braids once a day in the shower. I think she re-applied the hair glue once, or maybe it was more conditioner, anyways it was minimal fussing the whole time. Much less fussing than is usually needed when in the default world.

When we got home it took a couple hours to undo all the braids and she looked like some weird and wild poodle-ish creature. I kinda liked that look. She washed and conditioned and then heat treatment conditioned her hair and it was back to normal. A little fried due to the coloring pre-braid time and there were a lot of broken hairs littering the floor but as someone pointed out earlier it's pretty much about as much as she'd usually loose in 10 days. It just seems like more because it all comes out in one shot.

Overall she was VERY happy to have briaded her hair and the only draw backs I can think of was the original cost and her scalp being exposed. A nice hat took care of the latter during the day.

Dusty Nipplz

Post by Dusty Nipplz » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:01 pm

by the way... I had well over 30 braids in my hair also, designed into pigtails, not just straight down the back, and it only costs $30. Since we're going for function over fashion, try and find someone outside of a salon. You'd be surprised how many girls do them out of their home for a lot less than you'd pay in a salon. It's expensive to upkeep so a lot of people learn how to do it themselves.

foompa

Post by foompa » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:27 pm

I've had my hair braided into single extensions for the past 5 years & it's made life so much simpler! If you're willing to sit for 6-8 hours to get it done & have the money (or a masochist friend) to do it, I'd highly recommend it.

The less time the extensions/braids are in your hair, the less damage. Be prepared that the more braids you get and the longer they are, the heavier your hair will be... meaning more possibility of neck pain.

Check local message boards for braiding offered outside of salons. Going rate in SF for a full head of single extensions is around $200-300 for an 8 hour sitting. Cornrows are significantly less expensive, but I've found they don't hold up as well on the playa. Bay Area folks looking for braids should check out shops in Oakland or Richmond... $100 for an 8 hour session!!!

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: Braids/Cornrows on the Playa

Post by gaminwench » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:16 pm

I do 60ish braids with colored extensions. 19 years, playa happy.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”