Anybody ever build a hush box?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
someone
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Anybody ever build a hush box?

Post by someone » Mon May 07, 2018 7:11 pm

lets argue about something else

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Anybody ever build a hush box?

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue May 08, 2018 4:54 pm

Yeah you’re right about one thing, this is useless. You would (apparently) be amazed at how much Burners know about generators. We know about the electrical formulas, the continuous ratings and peak ratings, and even how much less power you will actually get at the altitude of the playa.

We know what really works on the playa and how well it works and for how long in the dust and heat.

Diesel sets are great. But not very portable.
If you want to carry one from halfway around the world, go for it.

Personally I’m a fan of the 2000-watt Hondas. They weigh less than 50 pounds and a pair of them makes enough power to run air conditioning, microwave, tons of lights, power tools, etc. All at the same time.
And they use about 5 gallons a day, for the pair, running continuously.

They are the cheapest sets you can buy. How can I say that? I bought two over twelve years ago. I sold them, twelve years later, still working perfectly, for $1400.
Then I ordered myself a brand new pair for $1800. I didn’t need to, I just figured why not freshen up.

So those Hondas cost $200 each to own them for twelve years, and have no troubles with them at all. I could have kept them and still be running them. Someone still is.

That’s big-picture economy. Try to get that much of your purchase price back twelve years later for a well-used generator of almost any other type.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Power & Electronics”